Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Your stance on 'cloning'
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
merc

Your stance on 'cloning'

'cloning' is a hot subject these days in the field of science...
Many argue that cloning could be greatly beneficial - to science in general...and to the medical world.
i.e. ) stem cell research...
[ which could possibly save millions of lives. ]

Here is a link that gives a brief explanation of stem cell research:
http://www.aaas.org/spp/sfrl/projects/stem/main.htm

But of course there are those who take the other side of the table....disputing cloning with its ethical/political/religious/social viewpoints....

[ unethical, immoral, socially injust, religiously incongruent...etc ]

where do you stand?

"Truth is not determined by how many people believe it."

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-13-2002 03:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for merc Click here to Send merc a Private Message Find more posts by merc Add merc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

recreating life for just the purpose of having another "you" is idiotic IMO.

Stem cell research= :thumbup:

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 10-13-2002 06:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nojeel

hella fucking against it

Old Post 10-13-2002 07:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nojeel Click here to Send Nojeel a Private Message Find more posts by Nojeel Add Nojeel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eddiee
werD?

if say you clone the thing for the extra body parts why would the clone give you his/her body part...is it not a nother person now?

Old Post 10-13-2002 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for eddiee Click here to Send eddiee a Private Message Find more posts by eddiee Add eddiee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEmeant0r
Ex-Mod

Well if they use it for saving peoples lifes by cloning body part, I'm for it, but if it's just to play god then I'm so against it.

Old Post 10-13-2002 11:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DEmeant0r Click here to Send DEmeant0r a Private Message Visit DEmeant0r's homepage! Find more posts by DEmeant0r Add DEmeant0r to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jj2
JSL Member

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
recreating life for just the purpose of having another "you" is idiotic IMO.

Stem cell research= :thumbup:

agree

Old Post 10-15-2002 08:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jj2 Click here to Send Jj2 a Private Message Find more posts by Jj2 Add Jj2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

cloning parts for others is not right... and what if that body part had/has/will have some kind of infection? yes yes, they only clone healthy organs/parts... buh the "will" comes in play... no clone has come out 100% perfect from defect... did I not mention the age of the part that is being cloned? for instance, have you heard of Dolly the cloned sheep? well, she has arthritis and she's only 6 years old... basically, my point is that if you clone from an older part, don't expect the clone to be younger and healthier... as for parts, I personally wouldn't wanna know that I have a pig organ inside of me if I needed transplant... some countries have already banned cloning... and human cloning is just wrong

again, we are messing with technology... how far are we, as a society, gonna go until we can't handle it anymore??? do we really want to mess with what we have, learn, and discover??? I believe what we have in technology is somewhat good enough... instead of wasting money on cloning people and parts, why not just find a cure with the money? cloning is not a cure, even if it is for parts (what I believe)... society is messing too much with what it has...

Old Post 10-15-2002 03:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

i don't like morals, so clone away.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 10-15-2002 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay
cloning parts for others is not right... and what if that body part had/has/will have some kind of infection? yes yes, they only clone healthy organs/parts... buh the "will" comes in play... no clone has come out 100% perfect from defect... did I not mention the age of the part that is being cloned? for instance, have you heard of Dolly the cloned sheep? well, she has arthritis and she's only 6 years old... basically, my point is that if you clone from an older part, don't expect the clone to be younger and healthier... as for parts, I personally wouldn't wanna know that I have a pig organ inside of me if I needed transplant... some countries have already banned cloning... and human cloning is just wrong

again, we are messing with technology... how far are we, as a society, gonna go until we can't handle it anymore??? do we really want to mess with what we have, learn, and discover??? I believe what we have in technology is somewhat good enough... instead of wasting money on cloning people and parts, why not just find a cure with the money? cloning is not a cure, even if it is for parts (what I believe)... society is messing too much with what it has...

False teeth isn't a cure for tooth loss. Organs that are cloned would be genetic, so acuired characteristics wouldn't apply. If you cloned a sheep and shot it, the clone would still be alive. (Don't kill animals for no reason. This is hypothetical, it is not a justification)

If you didn't want a pig organ in your body why would you be against cloneing human organs that would be in your body instead?

Some people have an artificial leg that they use to walk with. I'm not sure if you can really have an organ made out of metal stuck in your body to help you out.

In proportion, a cloned organ is like an artificial leg to help you survive, they're both based on the real thing, just that 1 is more realistic that the other.

Old Post 10-30-2002 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KoReAzNPiMp
Lurker

although both sides have a good argument, when it comes down to it, human cloning has be wrong. First of all, from a Christian standpoint, man is playing God, creating a whole new being with a whole new soul. Second, what if you were the cloned person? How would you feel if you knew that the whole reason to your existance was to cut off your leg to give to another person?

Old Post 11-04-2002 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KoReAzNPiMp Click here to Send KoReAzNPiMp a Private Message Find more posts by KoReAzNPiMp Add KoReAzNPiMp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by KoReAzNPiMp
although both sides have a good argument, when it comes down to it, human cloning has be wrong. First of all, from a Christian standpoint, man is playing God, creating a whole new being with a whole new soul. Second, what if you were the cloned person? How would you feel if you knew that the whole reason to your existance was to cut off your leg to give to another person?

i'd have no problem "playing god," and furthermore, we're not going to clone people and cut off their limbs, we will just grow limbs solely for other people.

-Cromwell

Old Post 11-04-2002 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

i don't like it d thought of replacing bad cells or replacing other stuff juss to make u live longer or wut now i dunt like it scientists
-_- i think they're juss tryna play god

Old Post 11-06-2002 02:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KiMbAkSA

-_-;;

no thank you!!!

Old Post 11-06-2002 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KiMbAkSA Click here to Send KiMbAkSA a Private Message Find more posts by KiMbAkSA Add KiMbAkSA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Just wondering, what's your guys' problem with "playing god"?

-Cromwell

Old Post 11-08-2002 12:05 AM
aznkid1008
God is my judge

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
Just wondering, what's your guys' problem with "playing god"?

i got a major problem with it. now snowman i believe we can agree that no man/woman on this planet understands life/death completely. we dont kno the meanin of life nor understand the reason for death fully. so then how can u use life/death? ur givin a nuke to a 3 year old. they wont understand wat the big shinny button does. so then how can we actually use clonin 2 produce life? we dont hav the slightest idea of wat life is but we use it? yea death we use mostly for survival but for those murderers out there that kill for the heck of it r insane.
the power to create life and destroy life was never in our power and it should not be now.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 11-08-2002 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

killing large prey was never within our power before, but we do it now (advent of tools, weapons). Creating a nuclear weapon was never within our grasp, but we have tens of thousands of them. Creating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich didn't used to be within our grasp, but we do that all the time. Just because we couldn't do something before is no rationale at all for not doing something. We can create life now, ok, nothing wrong with it just for the simple fact that we couldn't do it before. Let's try it.

I don't agree with you at all on your life/death point. I understand death perfectly, the absence of life, the termination of living, when our cells are no longer operating in a system that makes us conscious. I understand life perfectly as well, the time between birth and death, not inatimate, anything that functions within an environment or reacts, living. You treat life/death so divinely, and there really isn't anything more than just living and dying. You live, and die, nothing happens after. Even if there is more, there's no way we can ever know. Continually questioning it won't give us progress, it will make us more regressive if we never accept any tenets to be true. It's bootless.

There really isn't anything else to understand. We understand it, we can use it. By your logic, we should just drop all science together. Screw all the doctors, we are all infants in our understanding as you were saying (nukes to a 3 year old), so how can we possibly use it? So we should stop using the life that doctors constantly give out to dying patients just because we don't understand it fully? We use things we don't know all the time (which is not this case, we understand life and death more than a lot of things), and this is far from that. Even so, your rationale creates a world where we halt in a limbo, doing nothing just because we don't understand everything. Let's all go back to being hunter-gatherers. We don't understand society, we don't understand other people, we don't understand human nature, let's all just not use it at all.

-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 11-08-2002 at 02:51 AM

Old Post 11-08-2002 02:39 AM
Zero-Sen

im not rich. i can't afford it. i don't care.

i don't see a purpose for it, besides that whole stem cell research thing.

creating a human clone? hey, think about the test tube baby. She came out weird.

Old Post 11-08-2002 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zero-Sen Click here to Send Zero-Sen a Private Message Find more posts by Zero-Sen Add Zero-Sen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
So we should stop using the life that doctors constantly give out to dying patients just because we don't understand it fully? We use things we don't know all the time (which is not this case, we understand life and death more than a lot of things), and this is far from that. Even so, your rationale creates a world where we halt in a limbo, doing nothing just because we don't understand everything. Let's all go back to being hunter-gatherers. We don't understand society, we don't understand other people, we don't understand human nature, let's all just not use it at all.

It's like the stock market. Money doesn't just disappear.If the economy starts going down and people get scared to use thier money because they have to save it, by not using money the money becomes worthless in a sense. (This isn't the best explanation for the economy but it's just an analogy, go with it.)

If cloning is not good...
Suppose someone needs a heart transplant, and there is no available donor. What are the options? Let the patient die? Kill someone for the heart? These seem a little more inhumane to me for some reason.

Old Post 11-08-2002 04:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

hmm snowman u r definitely a scientist kudos
yea we understand the scientific ways or such and such but im goin 2 drop that since u hav formed a total rejection 2 it.
so let me try sayin my thought in a different way.
well not sure wat religion or thoughts on religion r so for the sake of arguin lets say God as of rite now creates life. now yea we didnt begin wit makin peanut butter sandwiches but that wasnt the ability that created us. im tryin 2 get at that watever u believe creates life should leave that power to the one who has it and understands it. how would u feel if u were a clone? that would suck to kno u were made from a test tube. i dunno about u but 2 stay alive from a human cloned heart would piss me off. yea it would be nice if we find cures to cancer or such and such from stem research but wat else is this goin 2 lead 2? there is good to this but there is always a bad side.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 11-08-2002 05:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

hell no.. no clone!! clones are evil..

Old Post 11-08-2002 06:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote