Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > catholics and christians
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

catholics and christians

I'm Christian myself, but what are the differences between the two?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-03-2003 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz
Music/Multimedia/Lyricism

some different beliefs, different way of doing certian things.

http://www.mcjdragonz.com

http://www.dynamicvocalz.tk

http://www.streetmaderecordz.tk

Old Post 07-03-2003 07:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for J-DraGoNz Click here to Send J-DraGoNz a Private Message Visit J-DraGoNz's homepage! Find more posts by J-DraGoNz Add J-DraGoNz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keyx1o6

I think the only difference is that they pray to Mary too, but I'm not positive. Plus the customs are a little different.

Old Post 07-03-2003 05:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for keyx1o6 Click here to Send keyx1o6 a Private Message Visit keyx1o6's homepage! Find more posts by keyx1o6 Add keyx1o6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity, hence, it is simply a "type" of Christianity. Some differences between Catholics and most non-catholics is that Catholics pray to Mary, they pray to the dead, believe in purgatory, observe different sacraments, and Catholics have a priest-system. Protestants believe that every member of the church is a priest. what really gets me ticked off is when i ask some Catholics whether theyre christian or not and they go "no, im catholic"

[ Proverbs 18:24 ]

Old Post 07-03-2003 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yOOnsk Click here to Send yOOnsk a Private Message Find more posts by yOOnsk Add yOOnsk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keyx1o6

I didn't know they pray to the dead. Interesting...

Old Post 07-03-2003 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for keyx1o6 Click here to Send keyx1o6 a Private Message Visit keyx1o6's homepage! Find more posts by keyx1o6 Add keyx1o6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz

quote:
Originally posted by keyx1o6
I didn't know they pray to the dead. Interesting...

me either. catholics also go to a priest to get their sins forgiven

Old Post 07-03-2003 09:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for J-DraGoNz Click here to Send J-DraGoNz a Private Message Visit J-DraGoNz's homepage! Find more posts by J-DraGoNz Add J-DraGoNz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

i'm catholic and i find it weird when people ask what the differences are between catholics and christians, cuz catholicism is a branch of christianity. it's like asking "what's the difference between chinese people and asians?"

well, even tho others already may have mentioned this, i think main differences between catholics and other christians are:
-catholics pray to mary (the rosary and everything), the saints, and the dead (i guess...i don't really consider it praying..?)
-they have to go to a priest for confession
-they believe in purgatory
-their churches are usually very decorative and richly adorned
-they cannot divorce (or aren't supposed to)
-the catholic bible has 5 more chapters than other christian ones

i thought there were some other ones... but actually i'm not sure about the praying to saints one, and i thought before that only catholics had confirmation and communion, but in "Cry, the Beloved Country" an anglican church has its buildings named after the saints and they have a confirmatory ceremony. maybe that's just the anglicans...but for the most part, catholocism and the rest of the christian sects are very similar.

Old Post 07-08-2003 08:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tranquility

there's a lot of differences in how christians and catholics interpret the bible.

-catholics believe in salvation by faith and works. christians believe in salvation through faith alone.

-when Jesus distributed the bread and wine, catholics believe that the bread is the physical body of Christ, and wine is the blood of Christ. Christians interpret it more as figuratively.

there's a lot more but those are the only ones i can think on the top of my head right now. i'll post more when i remember them.

Old Post 07-11-2003 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tranquility Click here to Send tranquility a Private Message Find more posts by tranquility Add tranquility to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

quote:
Originally posted by tranquility
there's a lot of differences in how christians and catholics interpret the bible.
when will ppl understand that catholics ARE christians.. wat ur saying is like saying "there's a lot of differences in how koreans and asians act".. catholics are christians.. catholicism is simply a denomination of christianity.. such as methodist.. or presbyterianism

Old Post 07-12-2003 03:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yOOnsk Click here to Send yOOnsk a Private Message Find more posts by yOOnsk Add yOOnsk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tranquility

quote:
Originally posted by yOOnsk
when will ppl understand that catholics ARE christians.. wat ur saying is like saying "there's a lot of differences in how koreans and asians act".. catholics are christians.. catholicism is simply a denomination of christianity.. such as methodist.. or presbyterianism

ok whatever.

i don't exactly agree with u saying "Protestants believe that every member of the church is a priest." i don't know where u're getting this.

Old Post 07-12-2003 06:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tranquility Click here to Send tranquility a Private Message Find more posts by tranquility Add tranquility to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

quote:
Originally posted by tranquility
ok whatever.

i don't exactly agree with u saying "Protestants believe that every member of the church is a priest." i don't know where u're getting this.

well.. wat i meant by that was.. many Catholics believe that we must consult with a priest to talk with God and must consult a priest to ask for forgiveness.. while, i belive, most protestants believe that we are in fact our own priests and can talk to God on our own and ask Him for forgiveness.

Old Post 07-12-2003 07:05 AM
J-DraGoNz

quote:
well.. wat i meant by that was.. many Catholics believe that we must consult with a priest to talk with God and must consult a priest to ask for forgiveness.. while, i belive, most protestants believe that we are in fact our own priests and can talk to God on our own and ask Him for forgiveness.

yea. we confess our sins directly to God, not to a priest.

Old Post 07-12-2003 08:44 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity, hence, it is simply a "type" of Christianity. Some differences between Catholics and most non-catholics is that Catholics pray to Mary, they pray to the dead, believe in purgatory, observe different sacraments, and Catholics have a priest-system. Protestants believe that every member of the church is a priest. what really gets me ticked off is when i ask some Catholics whether theyre christian or not and they go "no, im catholic"

This has been pointed out so many times, but then again Muslims and Christians believing in the same God has be pointed out many times as well.

Old Post 07-29-2003 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
This has been pointed out so many times, but then again Muslims and Christians believing in the same God has be pointed out many times as well.

well Christians and Jews believe in the same god also. the main difference in these 3 religions r the saviors. Christians believe in the JC, Jews r still waiting, and Muslims believe it was Mohammid(sp). but again also other factors r different too.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 07-29-2003 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spartan

i dont get how the pope is infallible. no man but jesus was.

Old Post 08-20-2003 06:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spartan Click here to Send Spartan a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan Add Spartan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

quote:
Originally posted by Spartan
i dont get how the pope is infallible. no man but jesus was.
Most catholics know and acknowledge that the pope ISNT infallible.. he is human.. therefore he sins.. what catholics DO believe is that his TEACHINGS and the doctrines that he proposes are all infallible.

Old Post 08-21-2003 01:32 AM
Spartan

eerrr.... yeah, i don't believe that.

Old Post 08-21-2003 06:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spartan Click here to Send Spartan a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan Add Spartan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H2oBaebe

AH!! the movie te haunting made purgatory seem like th creepiest thing!! (man, i have chills just thinkin' about it.. )
anyways, i gues it would have been more appropriate to of asked for the difference between protestants and catholics, but everyone should honestly know wtf we r talking about.. and to bee a bitch, i think that the catholic religion is really capitialistic.. o and the catholic religion has nuns also and yeah, protestants dont.. more of like, 'luv god and follow his ways to show that u believe' not 'give up every fucking thing in ur life for a supreme being because otherwise how is god going to know u believe and confide in him..' dude, how can a priest be expected to throw away the animalistic characteristics that humans just so he can be a priest, does this make sense?? i don't .. argh...

Old Post 08-21-2003 09:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for H2oBaebe Click here to Send H2oBaebe a Private Message Find more posts by H2oBaebe Add H2oBaebe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote