Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > Unfair treatment to Christians
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kryogenix
Ghost

Unfair treatment to Christians

is it just me or are christians, especially catholics, being treated very unfairly? i'm not saying other religions are being treated fairly either, in fact islam and judaism were targets of genocide. however in modern society, i feel christianity is being shunned. the term seperation of church and state is unfair. what about seperation of mosque and state, or temple and state? how come when the pope is portrayed as a scraggly old man on tv people find it funny but when jews are made fun of, people scream anti semitism? christian holidays are also becoming less religious. what do you see as a symbol for christmas on tv? usually it's a christmas tree but for hannukah (forgive my spelling) it's a menorah.

can anyone answer me?

Last edited by kryogenix on 12-17-2003 at 01:46 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-17-2003 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

jews are made fun of all the time without repercussion.

"seinfeld", for example, got a lot of its humor from jewish stereotypes.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-17-2003 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
jews are made fun of all the time without repercussion.

"seinfeld", for example, got a lot of its humor from jewish stereotypes.

that doesn't justify the unfair treatment of christians

Old Post 12-17-2003 12:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Re: Unfair treatment to Christians

no no, i'm agreeing with you. I just have some problems with little bits of your argument.

quote:
Originally posted by kryogenix
the term seperation of church and state is unfair. what about seperation of church and mosque, or church and temple?

mosques and temples are quite different from states.

quote:
how come when the pope is portrayed as a scraggly old man on tv people find it funny but when jews are made fun of, people scream anti semitism?

seinfeld example above.

quote:
what do you see as a symbol for christmas on tv? usually it's a christmas tree but for hannukah (forgive my spelling) it's a menorah.

what's wrong with a christmas tree?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-17-2003 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

Re: Re: Unfair treatment to Christians

quote:
what's wrong with a christmas tree?

I guess it doesn't seem like proper representation of the day. I don't see a connection between the tree and Jesus' birth. I don't even know the origin of the Christmas tree... someone care to enlighten me? (If there was some sort of connection... my bad)

Old Post 12-17-2003 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

Re: Re: Re: Unfair treatment to Christians

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow
I guess it doesn't seem like proper representation of the day. I don't see a connection between the tree and Jesus' birth. I don't even know the origin of the Christmas tree... someone care to enlighten me? (If there was some sort of connection... my bad)

Don't know if this will help, but here.

Old Post 12-17-2003 01:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow

that's what i mean.

quote:
mosques and temples are quite different from states.

crap, i meant to replace church with the other religious institutions. i'll edit it now

the relation of the shape of the tree to the trinity is nice, but i'm not sure if it's backed by credible christian authority, the site even claims its a legend

also, i find some atheists think it's safe to bash other religions because they don't practice any

my question has yet to be answered

Last edited by kryogenix on 12-17-2003 at 01:47 AM

Old Post 12-17-2003 01:44 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Re: Unfair treatment to Christians

quote:
what about seperation of mosque and state

btw. Islam has no church or more specificially, "religious authority"

anyways, if you want an explanation for unfair behavior towards christians, it would be the same thing as most other injustices in the world. Why are people racist against blacks? Against asians? It could be a lack of understanding of a particular race, or creed. But your answer touches upon so many factors we could probably spend all day listing them.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-17-2003 03:10 AM
Creative120

I could see your frustration about this and i can relate also. I do see what you mean and being a christian myself can get very upseting from our point of view. But throughout time Christians are persecuted, even in the bible Christians are persecuted, in some ways harsher than it is today. i could remember all these stories of Christian persecution from missionaries and it just gets me all sad, upset and appreciate this country for being able to believe what i know without persecution. I'm not really sure how to explain why Christians are persecuted at the moment but i can have a follow up for the Christmas tree. I remember some fellow Christians showing me that the devil is at work here. He puts up the Christmas tree and puts presents and Santa Claus to shield peoples eyes from the true meaning of Christmas, the greatest gift of all and the Jesus' birth. As it would relate to the easter bunny, and egggs and chocolates are to cover up the true meaning of Easter the glorious day of the third day that Jesus fulfilled what was told and rose from the grave. Even though these things are awsome things and fun, it can be bad if it hides and makes us forget the true meanings behind the days that we celebrate.

Old Post 12-17-2003 03:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Creative120 Click here to Send Creative120 a Private Message Find more posts by Creative120 Add Creative120 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
Originally posted by Creative120
I could see your frustration about this and i can relate also. I do see what you mean and being a christian myself can get very upseting from our point of view. But throughout time Christians are persecuted, even in the bible Christians are persecuted, in some ways harsher than it is today. i could remember all these stories of Christian persecution from missionaries and it just gets me all sad, upset and appreciate this country for being able to believe what i know without persecution. I'm not really sure how to explain why Christians are persecuted at the moment but i can have a follow up for the Christmas tree. I remember some fellow Christians showing me that the devil is at work here. He puts up the Christmas tree and puts presents and Santa Claus to shield peoples eyes from the true meaning of Christmas, the greatest gift of all and the Jesus' birth. As it would relate to the easter bunny, and egggs and chocolates are to cover up the true meaning of Easter the glorious day of the third day that Jesus fulfilled what was told and rose from the grave. Even though these things are awsome things and fun, it can be bad if it hides and makes us forget the true meanings behind the days that we celebrate.

yeah, i've heard the "Devil is behind the tree" theory before. but the easter one was always presented to me as eggs represent birth and new life, just as jesus ressurected

Old Post 12-17-2003 07:59 PM
kryogenix
Ghost

Re: Re: Unfair treatment to Christians

quote:
btw. Islam has no church or more specificially, "religious authority"

anyways, if you want an explanation for unfair behavior towards christians, it would be the same thing as most other injustices in the world. Why are people racist against blacks? Against asians? It could be a lack of understanding of a particular race, or creed. But your answer touches upon so many factors we could probably spend all day listing them.

Islam does have a religious institution in the mosque. about blacks... i think this goes back to the slave trade thing. because the europeans were able to enslave them, they felt superior to the africans. although the US outlaws slavery and discrimination, some people have trouble letting go of the past

for the asians... they're just jealous

someone told me that people make fun of christians because they are christians themselves. they feel they won't get in trouble for making fun of christians because they are only making fun of themselves, not discriminating against another religion, which i think is really stupid. i don't get why people want to ridicule themselves

Old Post 12-17-2003 08:03 PM
Creative120

quote:
but the easter one was always presented to me as eggs represent birth and new life, just as jesus ressurected

I never heard or thought of that before. Thats a good way of seeing it.

Old Post 12-17-2003 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Creative120 Click here to Send Creative120 a Private Message Find more posts by Creative120 Add Creative120 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Islam does have a religious institution in the mosque.

the mosque is simply a place for worship. Islam has no priests, and thus no singular religious institution or authority.
Besides the term "separation of church and state" refers to a schism between all things sacred and all things secular. It is not exclusive only to Christianity.

In either case, your usage of "mosque" and "temple" is erroneous. In light of that particular phrase, "church" addresses the morals and values of a particular faith while "mosque" and "temple" again, only point to buildings and therefore do not apply to your analogy.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-18-2003 12:11 AM
kryogenix
Ghost

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unfair treatment to Christians

quote:
the mosque is simply a place for worship. Islam has no priests, and thus no singular religious institution or authority.
Besides the term "separation of church and state" refers to a schism between all things sacred and all things secular. It is not exclusive only to Christianity.

In either case, your usage of "mosque" and "temple" is erroneous. In light of that particular phrase, "church" addresses the morals and values of a particular faith while "mosque" and "temple" again, only point to buildings and therefore do not apply to your analogy.

still, when you hear church and state, you think of christianity not judaism or islam

Old Post 12-19-2003 09:06 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unfair treatment to Christians

quote:
still, when you hear church and state, you think of christianity not judaism or islam

no, i don't.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-20-2003 01:40 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

i do not think of only christianity when i hear church and state either.

I have not read this thread at all, but i would agree in saying the coined phrase "church and state" is lazy. Separation of religion and state would be more appropriate.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 12-20-2003 04:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

why do some muslims say christians are out to start another crusade then start terrorist attacks? there was a discovered attack on the vatican city that was supposed to take place on christmas... who's after who?

Old Post 12-27-2003 10:55 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
why do some muslims say christians are out to start another crusade then start terrorist attacks? there was a discovered attack on the vatican city that was supposed to take place on christmas... who's after who?

Keep in mind that a vast majority of islamic terrorist attacks are not against the Israelis, or Western culture, but rather are against other arab countries which these terrorist groups deem as holding an improper faith.

If one looks at the Hamas Covenant, they point to a universal Zionist plot for domination, the latest development being the creation of Israel. One can easily draw parallels between the two events (the crusades and the creation of israel), and in some respects, yes, the PLO or Hamas is correct in pointing out the injustice of Israel's formation.

As for who's after who, one also has to realize that the catalyst for the formation of "Europe" or "the West," was the crusades. It was only through Pope Urban's speech at Clermont that all the quarrelling fiefdoms and towns banded together forever in the spirit of fighting the greater enemy: Muslims. After the crusades, the large majority of Muslims were still ignorant of the west, even while the West continued to brand Islamic communities as their enemies. It was not until the late 19th century and early 20th century that we see a large Muslim concern for the west- a response to Western Imperialism.

So really, we are after each others necks, but let's also not be so quick to generalize. There are many christians, jews, and muslims who are willing to lay down their arms. Much of the violence we see today is not rooted in religion, but rather in politics.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-27-2003 11:16 PM
aaqthree
3 Newtons

I only have a little bit to say here:

1) "Church and State" is proper now only because the word "Church" refers not just to the Christian Church, but to religious affiliation in general.

2) A "mosque" isn't a centralized religious authority or anything. It's just a place that Muslims go to to pray.

3) Yes, there are Muslim terrorists. There are Jewish terrorists, there are Christian terrorists. Religious terrorism, however, is only one kind of terrorism. There's also state terror, criminal terror, private terror, etc. State terror is cited as the form that kills most people.

Religious-based terror is often just the means to which political leaders try to carry out their ends. Using religion as a means is no different than using patriotism, except that people find killing for your religion to be worse than killing for your country for some reason.

Old Post 01-08-2004 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote