Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > The Feminist Movement
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Spuzzter

The Feminist Movement

When, do you think, was the most progressive era of the feminist movement?

I think that the modern day movement has, if anything, has become regressive... true, there are women doctors, lawyers, and female CEO's replacing male ones.... but what about the image of the woman? What's expected from being a girl? I'm afraid that a great deal of the youth of our nation (at least) are growing up with the wrong ideas in their head.

Feel free to praise me or flame me, I can take it =-D

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-25-2002 11:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spuzzter Click here to Send Spuzzter a Private Message Find more posts by Spuzzter Add Spuzzter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

hm i'll post more on it later, cause i'm going to go get lunch.

But, yes i agree with that statement. I don't know too much about it, so anyone correct me or inform whenever. I'd say the most progressive era of feminism was during the establishment of NOW (really can't tell you what it stands for, national organizatino for women maybe..actually i can't even tell you what it's accomplished so maybe it's not even that substantial). During that time and the pressing for women's voting rights i think was one of the most significant strides. so....1960's, right?

Betty Friedan wrote a book called the Feminine Mystique, of where she talks of resisting the domesticity of traditional women life. And who was the woman who fought heavily for voting rights? I'm trying to remember names, and i can't haha. Just trying to bring out examples.

Anyway, today i think feminism has become a silent movement. If you could call it a movement at all, i don't think it's been moving anywhere, except to establish further laws that just entrench themselves and society into the otherist mindset. There are so many laws that are passed stricly for women, that we have begun to specialize the treatment of women, yet fundamentalist feminists want equal treatment and rights. But you can't progress if you are working in the opposite direction in legislation at the same time. As of now, feminism has seemingly become a frozen complain session with no effort. Refer to the quote in my sig.

As for the image of women, that's rather impossible to ever overcome. It's as if they are disciplined haha, like disciplinary power for women by the patriarchy...maybe not even the patriarchy. I don't like the entire blame on men. It's partially do, but it's their fault...for a lot of it.

yep, agree with that about youth being brought up with wrong idealisms...bahh teen pop has ruined everything.

-edit- oh yeah, someone move this to debate forum. Thanks.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 10-26-2002 at 07:49 PM

Old Post 10-26-2002 06:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

actually i changed my mind. Feminism is alive and the only reason people say it's regressive is because it hasn't had these big jumps in legislation

legislation is easier to quantify than changing people's mentality. Right now, there is not a lot of legislatoin that women don't have, so it's hard to measure progress. People say it's regressive because they compare it to the past. When you compare the past to the present, where there is a lot done, there is a big difference because a lot has been since then been accomplished. Feminism was so progressive back then because it made such substantial steps in legislation. Right now, we're trying to compare that to the teenyboppers of america, and that just doesn't work because they are two seperate things. If you want to compare, compare legislation with legislation and mentalitie's with mentalities. I'd say it's progressing far, comparing mentalities, women are seen as more fit and able than they were 50 years ago. And for legislation a lot has been done, and just because there is not a lot to do left does not mean that the feminist movement is dead. It just means that it is accomplishing its goal. Through our accomplishments of changing mindsets, that has been a lot and i don't think its dead yet. Of course there will be those exceptions.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 10-28-2002 03:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

Moved to Debate.

The feminist movement is still alive and well, and David, in his second post is starting to get the right idea, more so than in his first. Just because you don't see as many reform efforts being publicized, it doesn't mean they exist. What about the feminist majority and efforts like million4roe? On an intellectual level, the feminist movement is farther than ever before, despite the works of some author who kind ofset back the movement... but it's still strong. Sure, the patriarchy still exists, in many forms, but the movement is not any weaker.

Old Post 10-28-2002 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote