Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > Science and Pseudo-Science
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Science and Pseudo-Science

What is science?

What is pseudo science?

What's the delineation between them?

Is it a simple matter to distinguish between the two?

*for those in IB, i'm not trying to get you to do work for me, we've all ready done all our tok essays and i didn't do this question, i just thought it was intriguing and was about to do it, but didn't, and wonder what people think about it*

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2003 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

I think a pseudo science doesn't have a scientific base.

Old Post 01-16-2003 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

Is my grammar ok there?

Helpful tip: Do not go for three days without sleeping or eating.

Old Post 01-16-2003 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

what is a scientific base?

-Cromwell

Old Post 01-16-2003 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

I think pseudo science doesn't have a mathematical base.
But I'm obsessed with math so leave me alone.
I believe the idea is to not define science with science because now you're infinite looping. That's why I think bio is a pseudo science because 1. I suck at it and 2. there's no math. I think 1 is an effect of 2 though. Or maybe I'm just in denial.

What time is it? Too late it seems.

Old Post 01-16-2003 04:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

i like that definition actually, requiem's.

This is really interesting because me and another person today were just debating on what math was. He says it's a religion, and i said it was a science. So in my line of thinking i'd still be circular reasoning through defining science becuase i think math is a science in a way...hmm maybe, i'm not exactly set with my advocacy. What does everything think about this?

-Cromwell

Old Post 01-16-2003 04:55 AM
Spuzzter

Well, apparantly arguments can follow the scientific method of empirical observation and analysis, yet still be deemed pseudo-scientific; the race statisticians of the third reich springs most notably to my mind. Or, the recent cloning research, where the Raelians are called a bunch of science quacks.

Does the method of making an argument have anything to do with it? Or does the purpose of what something is trying to prove determine if it is worthy or unworthy. Does proper 'science' equate with adherence to the moral code of the masses?

Old Post 01-17-2003 04:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spuzzter Click here to Send Spuzzter a Private Message Find more posts by Spuzzter Add Spuzzter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yeah, but the scientific method doesn't have any substantiating prerequisite. I mean, it's just a procedure. The resolution you are yielded could be "yeah we don't have enough conclusive data to be able to generalize and say that different moon cycles of different planets associate themselves with the person who is born on the corresponding month in that their behavior is reflected on the subject depending on if the sun hits it or not" or whatever absurdity you can come up with, that wasn't that great i am sorry. I'm sleepy haha. Anyway, so they used the method but it didn't prove anything, but they received results....so it's still science if you choose the scientific method as the deciding factor. I don't like that standard. I think the scientific procedure's applicability to be used to other non science things such as any sort of research really makes it nothing more than a semantic truth. "Scientific" Method....psh, it's just a name....and just a method.

-Cromwell

Old Post 01-17-2003 07:53 PM