Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > No Asian Holiday
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KPak-NC

No Asian Holiday

Why is it that you have the black history month in february, the memorial day, president's day, 4th of july and even the jewish holiday which is the passover, but why not asian holidays?

Like the korean independence, chinese new year.....sheesh, and asians are proud to be american?

im 75% not proud. hell, if i had some money, i would fly back to korea and live my life there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-24-2002 05:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KPak-NC Click here to Send KPak-NC a Private Message Find more posts by KPak-NC Add KPak-NC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

doesnt bother me much.

Old Post 09-24-2002 06:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

Re: No Asian Holiday

quote:
Originally posted by KPak-NC
Like the korean independence, chinese new year.....sheesh, and asians are proud to be american?

b/c this isnt korea or china, this is the usa. thats like saying why doesnt korea celebrate america's independence day even tho there's american soldiers stationed there.

but it doesnt bother me.

thanx huby40

Old Post 09-24-2002 07:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KPak-NC

Re: Re: No Asian Holiday

quote:
Originally posted by seung ju

b/c this isnt korea or china, this is the usa. thats like saying why doesnt korea celebrate america's independence day even tho there's american soldiers stationed there.

but it doesnt bother me.

Yes, i understand, but you got black history month, jewish holiday and others that are non asians.

Same thing like not have asian history in the history books or books on korea at the bookstores. Mostly chinese and japanese books.

Old Post 09-24-2002 07:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KPak-NC Click here to Send KPak-NC a Private Message Find more posts by KPak-NC Add KPak-NC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

Re: Re: Re: No Asian Holiday

quote:
Originally posted by KPak-NC

Yes, i understand, but you got black history month, jewish holiday and others that are non asians.

well, black history month focuses on the history of blacks in america, so that would make sense. i still think its stupid though.

quote:
Same thing like not have asian history in the history books or books on korea at the bookstores. Mostly chinese and japanese books.

yeah, i have noticed that. that does bug me a little bit, but then again, i dont know many people who are trying to learn the korean language, chinese and japanese seem to be more popular. so i guess its merchandise to meet demand.

thanx huby40

Old Post 09-24-2002 07:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

Black history month and all that is celebrated because blacks were a huge part of american history. I dont think anybody can debate this: blacks have a far larger part in american history than asians. theres more blacks in the US than asians.

Jewish holidays are for religion. u can have a jewish asian. this isreligion not nationality.

For the book tihng, it depends what book ur looking at. Most books are either china or japan because

1) china is HUGE and it had a bigger impact on the world than many of the other countries. most asian countries were influenced by china.
2) Japan also is making a very big impact on the world today, especially economically.

Last edited by huby40 on 09-24-2002 at 08:08 PM

Old Post 09-24-2002 07:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eddiee
werD?

i juss dont go to school on chinese new years
^^

Old Post 09-24-2002 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for eddiee Click here to Send eddiee a Private Message Find more posts by eddiee Add eddiee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by LiLbLuEaZnBoY
i juss dont go to school on chinese new years
^^

LoL Eddie! RIGHT! We should juss celebrate it ourselves! haha

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

may is asian pacific islander month.

Old Post 09-24-2002 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnisMuiMui
Fashion Police/Mod

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
may is asian pacific islander month.

is it?? i didnt know dat. i'm originally from singapore and its KINDA considered as a pacific island... different people have different takes on dat, but *i* would consider it a pacific island. it IS an island.....

newayz... yeah it would nice if we had an asian holiday. but i dun think its gonna happen! =(

Old Post 09-24-2002 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for UnisMuiMui Click here to Send UnisMuiMui a Private Message Visit UnisMuiMui's homepage! Find more posts by UnisMuiMui Add UnisMuiMui to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

it is. My dad was the Program Manager for the Asian-Pacific Islander Division under the Equal Employment Opportunity program for the local Veterans Administration. He had to stop, but a few years ago we'd organize pan-Asian cultural shows that displayed art, dance, food, and music from all over Asia.

Judging from the previous post by Unismuimui, it seems a little unclear as to what Asian-Pacific Islander connotates, and thus:
Asian-Pacific Islander Month is a recognition of diversity, much like Black History month in February is one as well. It celebrates all cultures from Asia (that means South Asia, SE. Asia, and E. Asia) and Pacific Islands.

On a side note,
Has anyone else noticed how ironic it is that for people to have so much Asian pride, they aren't even aware of the fact that May is Asian-Pacific Islander Month. I don't say this to bash anyone, but if one is interested in celebrating their own culture, they could be a bit more informed before making such sweeping statements.

Old Post 09-24-2002 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KPak-NC

Actually, i know some chinese at my college that is studying Korean. Korea didn't want to open up to the western world back in the early days. It was mostly china and japan.

People are saying that korea is xenophobic towards other nations. I doubt that.

Old Post 09-25-2002 12:18 AM
UnisMuiMui
Fashion Police/Mod

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
it is. My dad was the Program Manager for the Asian-Pacific Islander Division under the Equal Employment Opportunity program for the local Veterans Administration. He had to stop, but a few years ago we'd organize pan-Asian cultural shows that displayed art, dance, food, and music from all over Asia.

Judging from the previous post by Unismuimui, it seems a little unclear as to what Asian-Pacific Islander connotates, and thus:
Asian-Pacific Islander Month is a recognition of diversity, much like Black History month in February is one as well. It celebrates all cultures from Asia (that means South Asia, SE. Asia, and E. Asia) and Pacific Islands.

On a side note,
Has anyone else noticed how ironic it is that for people to have so much Asian pride, they aren't even aware of the fact that May is Asian-Pacific Islander Month. I don't say this to bash anyone, but if one is interested in celebrating their own culture, they could be a bit more informed before making such sweeping statements.

interesting... thank u so much for the info!! it seem like a really fun event to participate in! too bad we dun have anything like dat around my area, since its predominately jews. oh well. but i would love to take part in something like dat!

yeah its ironic dat people dat preach "asian pride" dun even know May is Asian-Pacific Islander Month. i didnt know it and i dun go around saying "asian pride." but dat doesnt mean i'm not proud of my heritage and background. i just dun over-do the whole "azn pride" thing.

Old Post 09-25-2002 02:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for UnisMuiMui Click here to Send UnisMuiMui a Private Message Visit UnisMuiMui's homepage! Find more posts by UnisMuiMui Add UnisMuiMui to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay

LoL Eddie! RIGHT! We should juss celebrate it ourselves! haha

huh you aren't chinese :huh:

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 09-25-2002 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

i thought she was

Old Post 09-25-2002 05:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

haha... thats funnie... seems like us koreans are jacked in everything political huh...

Old Post 09-25-2002 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

quote:
Originally posted by saranghae
i thought she was

nah, julie's hmong

Old Post 09-25-2002 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by TAIgrr
doesnt bother me much.

same wit me but it'll be aiight if they had like asain history month haha where we get to knoe about asia or our own culture

Old Post 09-26-2002 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grumpy

i guess cuz we're minorities :sad:

Old Post 09-29-2002 08:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grumpy Click here to Send grumpy a Private Message Find more posts by grumpy Add grumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
az0nd2r3

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

chinese new year, lunar new year, same thing.....i believe some other asian countries celebrate too......or maybe she was sayin that we should stay home n celebrate our own holidays

Old Post 09-30-2002 07:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for az0nd2r3 Click here to Send az0nd2r3 a Private Message Find more posts by az0nd2r3 Add az0nd2r3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote