Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > what do you think about catholicism?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by jini
ok.. so the first half of the mass is bible readings.. where does it go from there? i didn't see them opening the book itself.. the priest didn't have one either

just b/c the bible isnt mentioned every 20 seconds like it is in baptist churches doesnt mean they dont believe in the bible.

i'm episcopalian, we're similar to catholics, but dont agree with a lot of their traditions, such as purgatory, worshipping virgin mary, etc. but catholic and our services are more structured, it follows a book of prayer, which include the lessons (reading from the bible), the gospel (from the bible), followed by a sermon, some prayers, than communion.

thanx huby40

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-29-2002 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

quote:
Originally posted by TyGer STyLe
well... lets get a few things straight... catholics ARE christians... lets not use the phrase BS or any other alienating phrase in a debate, things get pretty touchy with this sorta thing...

okay... my beliefs on catholism... catholism isn't wrong, its just like any other christian sect, and it demands just as much respect as any other branch... just because were protestant doesn't give us the right to critisize their beliefs, ie... praying to mary, communion, confession... though we as protestants believe that we can have direct dialoge, if somewhat one way, to God himself... we don't have the right to smash on the catholics way of doing things... though we may see it as "not right" we just have to keep it to ourselves... i believe catholism is a bit different, and i would find it tedious myself to go through the routine of sunday like that, but hey some people believe through all the rituals you give him more respect and reverance... lets just say that no one has the right to say any religion is wrong, because frankly... were not God...

i totally agree...i mean, it all depends on ur point of view...if Protestants think some Catholic ways are wrong, cud it ever be conceived that Catholics think some Protestant ways are wrong? like not going to a priest for confession...i guess sum wud say thaz tedious, but i wudn't feel rite w/out confessing to one. see, the problem is everyone thinks that they are right or that their ways are right and that everyone else is wrong, so we hav major debates and heated discussions...in my eyes, no religion is RIGHT or WRONG. they're just different ways of interpreting God.

Old Post 08-30-2002 12:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
az0nd2r3

well......my thoughts on this.......first, arguing about religion, or parts of it bein rite or wrong is never goin to get anywhere, even tho we may believe one way or another.....u truly cannot argue ur way into proving ur way is rite.....but i do believe that certain things in the catholic belief system are wrong (im not a expert on this, so if im wrong, catholics feel free to correct me).....such as salvation thru grace vs salvation thru the catholic church, prayer to saints, that no one outside the catholic church can be saved, iconic reverence/worship, difference in sacraments, purgatory, transubstantiation? (sp?), where at the Lord's supper, the wafer n wine are the actual blood n flesh of Jesus, apocryphal books, i dunt remember.....well, juss my beliefs..

[edit].....ok i wuz juss talkin to my former church youth group leader on im on dis.....he sed that, quote 'I think as Christians... we have full authority to claim truth throught the Word of God...we don't have to sit idly by and keep things to ourselves...we have to strive for the truth...God is truth...His word is truth', in response to ppl sayin other denominations/beliefs are plainly wrong....ok, his response, not mine.....but wut do u ppl think of that.....i have to say i kinda agree... :huh:

[edit 2].......ok, my bad......also, sumting mentioned earlier in this thread, that catholics are goin to hell.....not true....anyone is a Christian as long as they believe that Jesus is the one and only Son of God, that he died for our sins, n dat he was resurrected from the dead 3 days later.....it doesnt matter wut else we believe that may be wrong, we are saved by the grace of God thru his son Jesus Christ....

Last edited by az0nd2r3 on 08-31-2002 at 01:56 PM

Old Post 08-31-2002 05:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for az0nd2r3 Click here to Send az0nd2r3 a Private Message Find more posts by az0nd2r3 Add az0nd2r3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

I believe the current pope John Paul II had decreed that non-catholics can enter heaven.... I once asked my father that, and he told me this.

Old Post 08-31-2002 06:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

i wud think that non-catholics can go to heaven too. maib even non-christians. at least i hope so :huh: i mean, if these are good pplz and they live honest, good lives, just cuz they dun believe in God duzn't mean they shud go to Hell...since i'm catholic, i'm hopin atheists can go to purgatory and then Heaven. i dunno >.< i noe i dun hav ne say in this cuz it's God's decision...

Old Post 09-02-2002 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

okay i skimmed through most of this topic so excuse me if i'm being ignorant.

#1 misconception: catholics "believe in"/worship mary
WE DO NOT WORSHIP ANYONE OTHER THAN GOD. we acknowledge that mary is special, why else would God choose her to give birth to his SON Jesus.

yes we do use the bible.

we added on some books to the bible, yes.

we pray to God as well as mary and saints.

we believe in the HOLY TRINITY. three beings in one i guess: the father, the son and the holy spirit. they are not THREE GODS, but ONE together. something like that.

catholics are christians too. religions where they belive in christ are christian religions. our religion believes in jesus so yes we are christians too, just another sect like baptist, anglican, protestant etc.

and yeah like someone said before: it's pointless trying to say something is wrong. there is NOTHING (hehe wel i think so) that is absolutely right OR wrong.

mmm iread a book once... an di'm not quite sure if i'm confusing it with what my scripture teacher said, BUT: according to what i remember, EVERYONE GOES TO HEAVEN. HITLER went to heaven. we think him evil, and that what he's done is wrong. but like i said, NOTHING can be proved absolutely wrong or right. (i think.... tehehehe).

Last edited by lovedontloveme on 09-02-2002 at 12:25 PM

Old Post 09-02-2002 12:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lovedontloveme Click here to Send lovedontloveme a Private Message Visit lovedontloveme's homepage! Find more posts by lovedontloveme Add lovedontloveme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

hitler went to heaven? Now thats messed up :huh:

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 09-02-2002 05:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
*supagirL*
your master

i thought..

i thought that catholics juss prayed to a different person to get their message to God.. Presbyterians pray to Jesus and God.. as for Catholics.. they pray to Mary..?? and... i dunno.. that's wut i thought lol

Old Post 09-02-2002 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for *supagirL* Click here to Send *supagirL* a Private Message Visit *supagirL*'s homepage! Find more posts by *supagirL* Add *supagirL* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

MM okay, the hitler thing was not what my scripture teacher taught me. It's from a book I read haha. It's sort of off topic since it's not to do with Catholicism specifically, but here's what God "wrote/said" in the book.

(End of God's answer to previous question)... Nothing exists--nothing--without a reason understood and approved by God.

(This is what the person asked back)How can this be? What of the evil which has been created by man?

(God's answer)You cannot create a thing--not a thought, an object, an event, no experience of any kind which is outside of God's plan. For Good's plan is for you to create anything--everything--whatever you want. In such freedom lies the experiences of God being God--and this is the experience for which I created You.
Evil is that which you call evil. Yet even that I love, for it is only through that which you call evil that you can know good; only through that which you call work of the devil that you can know and do the work of God. I do not love hot more than I love cold, high more than low, left more than right. It is all relative. Itis all part of what is.
I do not love "good" more than I love "bad." Hitler went to heaven. When you understand this, you will understand God.

-Coversations with God-
-an uncommon dialogue-

The book's by Neale Donald Walsh if anyone's interested in reading it. I've got book 1.

Old Post 09-02-2002 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lovedontloveme Click here to Send lovedontloveme a Private Message Visit lovedontloveme's homepage! Find more posts by lovedontloveme Add lovedontloveme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

If all the evil people in the world who have sinned greatly get to go to heaven who the hell goes to hell?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 09-03-2002 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
If all the evil people in the world who have sinned greatly get to go to heaven who the hell goes to hell?

good question. if hitler went to heaven...well, maib he finalli repented of the bad things he did...he wuz a christian, rite? so maib pplz hu dun repent go to hell. we shall see....*shivers*

Old Post 09-03-2002 07:49 AM
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

i think... someone of the views in the quote are a bit flawed... i don't believe its possible for someone like hitler to go to heaven... for a few reasons... anyone who has things in his head wired straight wouldn't want to commit genocide and wipe out an entire ethnic group just because you "don't like them," and since he DIDN'T have things wired straight in that brain of his, theres no way he could have said that he lives for God... the conscience of a christian wouldn't allow them to commit genocide... number 2 reason i believe hitler didn't go to heaven... he commited suicide, only reason he commited suicide is because he had no hope for victory, but the fact is if he DID have God in his life, he wouldn't have cared that he lost that victory, because even in the most hopeless situations you have God, this should be the basis for all christians...

well theres my lil splurge on y hitler isn't elligible to go to heaven

Old Post 09-03-2002 08:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

Mmm another thing from the book, regarding hell. I didn't type out everything..

It is the opposite of joy. It is unfulfillment. It is knowing Who and What You Are, and failing to experience that. It is being less. That is hell, and there is none greater for your soul.
But hell does not exist as this place you have fantasized, where you burn in some everlasting fire, or exist in some state of everlasting toment. What purpose could I have in that?

Err yeah. It's from a book. I don't necessarily believe it. I don't really know WHAT my beliefs are anyway, haha.

Mmm, I'll type more later when I remember. I gotta go to sleep -_-;;

Last edited by lovedontloveme on 09-06-2002 at 08:06 AM

Old Post 09-06-2002 08:03 AM
daNNy LuV 1TYM

quote:
Originally posted by lovedontloveme

It is the opposite of joy. It is unfulfillment. It is knowing Who and What You Are, and failing to experience that. It is being less. That is hell, and there is none greater for your soul.
But hell does not exist as this place you have fantasized, where you burn in some everlasting fire, or exist in some state of everlasting toment. What purpose could I have in that?

wow...that is REALLI interesting. i never thot of it that way b4

Old Post 09-07-2002 12:26 AM
az0nd2r3

hell is eternal separation from God, being cut off forever.......but other aspects of hell, lyke the lake of fire, could still definitely be literal.....i have to look it up....

Old Post 09-07-2002 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for az0nd2r3 Click here to Send az0nd2r3 a Private Message Find more posts by az0nd2r3 Add az0nd2r3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote