Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Experience > WhAt'S HmOnG???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

WhAt'S HmOnG???

I get asked that question a lot!!! I'm used to it! So just to answer all your questions out there... here it goes...

The Hmong are a group of people... For some reason, we are also known as a Tribe... (ever heard of an Asian tribe? Hmong are the only Asian tribe that I know of).

Way back in the A.D. times, the Hmong lived in China... (The Hmong were not known as Hmong back then). They were a small dynasty of Chinese people. During the many wars between the different dynasties in China, the Hmong were pushed out of their southern lands by the other dynasties... They were a smaller dynasty so they lost many of their wars. Other dynasties kept moving them south, so then they moved all the way to Laos and made that their homeland... Up in the hills. So now, they are living in Laos...

So really, I guess you could say that I'm Chinese... or... I'm sorta Chinese... even though I don't speak the language... or... my ancestors are Chinese!!!

There's a whole bunch more of things... I have a magazine saying everything and all the studies that went on in China to find out all the info... But if you really want me to put up everything, just tell me!

Well anyways, I hope that answered questions...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-01-2002 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i relate hmong people more with the southern asian races *shrug*

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 06-01-2002 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

Yeah, because during the last few centuries, that's where they've lived... remember, I said in the A.D. times... and they adapted to the southern asian ways... It's so hard to explain... The Hmong have adapted to so many ways... There are still even Hmong Chinese... and they speak Chinese and Hmong together... I don't even know what they are saying...

Old Post 06-01-2002 02:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

wow. thaz realli interesting. thnx for puttin that up, i wuz totalli clueless b4. but i thot u were krn? well i thot hmong wuz viet or sumtin like that, so thnx for clearin that up

Old Post 06-02-2002 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

actually i went to a site called the Hmong American Journal and found this:

"The origins of the Hmong people are in debate by scholars. Although each one has a different opinion as to the true origins of the Hmong people, some archaeologists believe that the Hmong people descended from Siberians"

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 06-02-2002 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prototype

There's a whole story about it, that.. a girl named cindy told me once :P

about how they travelled... and.. got to somewhere and.. -_-;

I wasnt paying attention because she was hot.

Old Post 06-02-2002 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Prototype Click here to Send Prototype a Private Message Visit Prototype's homepage! Find more posts by Prototype Add Prototype to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

"The origins of the Hmong people are in debate by scholars. Although each one has a different opinion as to the true origins of the Hmong people, some archaeologists believe that the Hmong people descended from Siberians"

Hahaha....Siberians??? That was a good laugh... I don't know who wrote that down!!! All I have to say is that the Hmong's history is missing because they didn't have a written language back then... Who knows where the roots of Hmong came from... I just believe that we were once Chinese because of our similar last names... And how some Hmongs still speak Chinese...

Old Post 06-03-2002 02:26 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Well, its from archaeologists who are for the most part experts in the field. And it also states that the origins are still being debated upon.

Korean last names can also be similar to chinese

Lee, Chung, etc.

What I have heard is that Hmong people are more of a tribe that are spread all over the place, in japan, korea , china, basically everywhere in asia.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 06-03-2002 02:46 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by RaCeR_LaDi_MoOn

Hahaha....Siberians??? That was a good laugh... I don't know who wrote that down!!! All I have to say is that the Hmong's history is missing because they didn't have a written language back then... Who knows where the roots of Hmong came from... I just believe that we were once Chinese because of our similar last names...

hmm, i dunno, you seem pretty siberian to me ... haha j/k

Old Post 06-03-2002 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

ok fine here's another question for u

how do u pronounce that.. is it.. "ha-mong" or "H-mong" or "damnithowdoupronouncethisword" or what.. d=D

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 06-03-2002 05:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shoujo

is Hmong similar to Tibetan ???

Old Post 06-03-2002 09:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shoujo Click here to Send shoujo a Private Message Find more posts by shoujo Add shoujo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by KeN VeRsUs RyU
ok fine here's another question for u

how do u pronounce that.. is it.. "ha-mong" or "H-mong" or "damnithowdoupronouncethisword" or what.. d=D

haha... funny... chubuff, seung ju, and I were just talking about this the other day in chat... Um, I guess you could say...
HMONG

Um, to pronounce it right... you blow air through your nose, which makes the "H" noise... and at the same time, you say "MONG"

There you go... that's the best way I can say it in words... Hey, I'm trying it myself... and it works!

quote:
Originally posted by shoujo
is Hmong similar to Tibetan ???

I don't think so... Hmong are so damn diverse... If you really wanna be filled in... just become friends with a Hmong person and hopefully he/she will fill you in... But I don't think we're like Tibetan...

I can say that we look different from Chinese because the past few centuries, we've become darker skinned due to living closer to the equator... I guess you could say some of us look Laotian or Thai... Luckily me, I look Hmong... and I'm not dark... It's really just the Hmongs who still live up in those hills... haha...

Old Post 06-03-2002 05:44 PM