Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Catholic and Christian
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
krnxswat
what a joke!

Catholic and Christian

Yo Catholic and Christians are different, right? because from what i heard from around the people, they said it was different. werent they the same until martin luther kinG jR like blah blah and they went to 2 diff paths? hEh.. i dink iss diff..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-17-2002 12:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

Arrow

well.. from what i heard..
everything is taught the same WITH THE EXCEPTION OF..

CHRISTIANS- BELIEVE IN ONE GOD (father, son, hold spirit = 1)
CATHOLICS- BELIEVE IN THREE GODS (father, jesus, mary= 3)

thats the difference.. if i'm wrong.. someone correct me

Old Post 04-17-2002 01:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

Correct me if i'm wrong bout any of this

If one is Christian, that denotes that he/she believes that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and that He was the saviour.

I believe the church was mostly unified until Martin Luther ( Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was the civil rights activist) came along because he had serious problems with the way the church operated then, and there was a lot of corruption in the church, so he founded a church of people who were in protest of then current Dogma, and this was the Protestant church. There are 3main divisions of Christianity, The Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Churches. There are more sects and rites in both churches, although the different sects in the Protestant churches have larger differences than the different sects. The Catholic and Orthodox churches are mainly unified.

The main difference between the three is that the Catholic Church looks to Rome and the Pope specifically, as the head of the church.

Other differences:

Catholics believe in saints.
Catholics usually celebrate mass, not services.
There is a seminarial system in the Catholic Church.

There are more, but the basic beliefs are the same.

TaiGRR - Catholic church believes in the Holy Trinity (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit) i don't know if anyone believes that Mary is God, but people do pray to her.

If you want to more, you can ask or look online, i'm sure there's a whole ton of info.

Last edited by tm11 on 04-17-2002 at 01:10 PM

Old Post 04-17-2002 01:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

quote:
Originally posted by TAIgrr
well.. from what i heard..
everything is taught the same WITH THE EXCEPTION OF..

CHRISTIANS- BELIEVE IN ONE GOD (father, son, hold spirit = 1)
CATHOLICS- BELIEVE IN THREE GODS (father, jesus, mary= 3)

thats the difference.. if i'm wrong.. someone correct me

in now way do catholics believe that mary is a god/goddess. we don't worship her, we just believe she is special because she gave birth to Jesus. ^^

catholics believe in ONE god, but the God is made up of three - three parts kinda - the holy spirit, God the Father and God the Son. but they are all one God.
its confusing but yeah O.O

Old Post 04-17-2002 06:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lovedontloveme Click here to Send lovedontloveme a Private Message Visit lovedontloveme's homepage! Find more posts by lovedontloveme Add lovedontloveme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

Old Post 04-18-2002 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
girl0verdose
G.o.d & Click B Jjang

Amen to that Vi, you said exactly what i'm going to say ^^

And yesh, Catholics DO NOT worship Mary in any kind of way. We respect her for her status of being Mother of Jesus.

Christian generally means every religion who believes in Christ (hence the name), so that includes Catholic, Protestant, etc.

Protestant also believes in the Holy Trinity.

And as an addition.... since everyone alive including the Pope are human, they make mistakes too. In Martin's time, there were preaching of indulgences and stuff, and people believed that they can buy their way to heaven (i was quite disgusted when I heard of this) and Martin stepped out and speak his mind... he did not create the 'Protestant' religion.... those who believes and support him did. He himself was quite horrified when he heard of the split.

Ack. wonder if anyone actually read that.

Old Post 04-21-2002 06:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for girl0verdose Click here to Send girl0verdose a Private Message Visit girl0verdose's homepage! Find more posts by girl0verdose Add girl0verdose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Martin Luther started the Lutherian Church. I was different from the Catholic Church

Old Post 04-21-2002 05:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero-Sen

Yea, TM11 has the right idea. The Catholic church back then was selling salvation. In other words if you gave lots of money to the church you could be saved.

Old Post 05-01-2002 12:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zero-Sen Click here to Send Zero-Sen a Private Message Find more posts by Zero-Sen Add Zero-Sen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Sen
In other words if you gave lots of money to the church you could be saved.

ummm..no

Old Post 05-01-2002 12:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

i believe there are many things that catholics believe in that christians do not. like all the 99 things Martin Luther wrote about that he thought was wrong wit the catholic church and nailed it 2 a church.

Old Post 05-01-2002 02:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chil

quote:
Yea, TM11 has the right idea. The Catholic church back then was selling salvation. In other words if you gave lots of money to the church you could be saved.

lol, now if you let the priest have some sexual fun with you, u get saved too haha

Old Post 05-01-2002 06:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chil Click here to Send Chil a Private Message Find more posts by Chil Add Chil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

thats not rite
i'm not catholic and i personally think that some rules r just beyond stupidity but heck this is another personal issue for the catholics so let them deal wit it.

if u r catholic i got a question
y do u hav bishops and Popes and stuff???
it seems like catholicism is a form of gov wit the dictator (pope) and the rest lookin up at his "holy @$$". wat happened 2 every1 was created equal?

Old Post 05-02-2002 11:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

quote:
wat happened 2 every1 was created equal?

??? it doesn't say that in the bible does it?
church was made around the late roman times. it became a big organization becuz emporer constantine promoted it. it was common for a big organization to have leaders and sub leaders and it was no different for the catholic church. So they had a leader. A man that they believed was closer to God than anyone on the earth. And then they chose a next one when he passed, then a next one. one leader can't do it all so he has sub leaders.

that "equality" didn't come later until the middle ages where people like martin luther (NO not that black guy) got upset with the Catholic Church. The church was corrupt becuz they were "selling indulgences." People would pay the church to cleanse themselves of their sins and garantee them to heaven. It's not unlikely for something like that to become corrupt, it will happen to any sort of leader structure no matter what.

however, the pope is not a dictator. He is chosen by a group of cardinals, other church officials.

Old Post 05-02-2002 01:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

my best friends catholic and its hard talking to them about religion and even when im eating with his family i feel uncomfortable with everyone else doing the cross motion and then everyone looks at me...

so i go to the bathroom

Old Post 05-02-2002 01:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brian

We have a lot of anti-Catholic feelings in our church for no reason whatsoever.

I, for one, do not believe in such a belief supported by frivolous, one-sided "facts."

Everyone believes that their religion is the right way. Hindus believe that all Christians are going down the wrong path. Buddhists believe that everyone who isn't Buddhist is lost.

There are a myriad of beliefs, just as there is a myriad of people in this world.

We should just learn to accept and look at everyone's reasons about a specific issue before creating our own decision on that particular issue.

Old Post 05-13-2002 05:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brian Click here to Send brian a Private Message Find more posts by brian Add brian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:

yeah, they were selling indulgences. but the Catholic Church reformed

Old Post 05-14-2002 11:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
junjinluber33

hmmm... dont christians also believe in trinity? that God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus Christ are one? that was wut i thought. there's another thing... christians believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of our sins. buh i heard that catholics believe that Jesus only died for the original sin and that's why you have to go to confession and stuff. iuno... someone correct me if im wrong...

click^ leave a msg in my chatter box!

team3 biotch! its da group blog

Old Post 05-20-2002 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for junjinluber33 Click here to Send junjinluber33 a Private Message Visit junjinluber33's homepage! Find more posts by junjinluber33 Add junjinluber33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Angel3y3s

no, the christians only believe in God. I think that's the big difference between catholics and christians *peace sign* oh, and the sign of the cross too...^_^
the catholics believe that Christ died at the cross for our sins too. we, catholics, also believe that we need to go thru baptism to uh, for a better lack of words, erase the original sin...or something.
I dont think the catholic church takes indulgences anymore. and if they do, i dont think I remember a time when i gave some, hehe...
I dont really like the way the catholic church runs here in our country. instead of stopping fights and staying in between, it sides with the govt. and arose more fighting than ever...

Old Post 05-21-2002 05:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Angel3y3s Click here to Send Angel3y3s a Private Message Visit Angel3y3s's homepage! Find more posts by Angel3y3s Add Angel3y3s to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TygerLuv

lovedontlove me has it right...

Mary isnt worshipped as a God/Goddess in Catholicism - this is a common misconception. She is venerated as a Saint would be.. not worshipped but given honor.

Also I believe it is only the Catholics who believe in the Trinity (God the father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit being ONE). Catholics are considered Christians since they belive in Christ... Catholicism is just a denomination of Christianity just like the Baptists, Anglicans etc.

Old Post 05-26-2002 03:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TygerLuv Click here to Send TygerLuv a Private Message Find more posts by TygerLuv Add TygerLuv to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brian

I agree. I wouldn't mind being Catholic at all. The reason that I am the only kid in my youth group that wasn't baptized is because:

- I don't believe in certain church dogma.
- I'm Baptist, not Presbyterian.

That "certain church dogma" is the belief that all Catholics will go to hell. I hate that. I hate it. By the way, did I mention that I hated it? That closed-minded belief that our pastor spreads is just sickening.

My pastor personally blocked my mom from sending my brother to a catholic elementary school because it would be "a bad influence on him." He also blocked me from applying to Catholic high schools because "their religion isn't a religion."

Our church for some reason believes that Catholicism is polytheistic. How dumb is that?

I don't know what to say... anymore....

Old Post 06-02-2002 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brian Click here to Send brian a Private Message Find more posts by brian Add brian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote