Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > evolution
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
alecks

evolution

what are your thoughts on evolution?

this might get a bit heated but lets try to keep it clean and civil.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2002 09:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for alecks Click here to Send alecks a Private Message Find more posts by alecks Add alecks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

where are you psychosnowman....
here we go...

anyways, i've read The origin of the Species by Charles Darwin, it was an interesting read. The theory of evolution is interesting, and has many valid points. I'm not really sure what i feel about it though.

Old Post 04-09-2002 04:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

hah, i'm coming TM11, i have not had time to post yet. Tennis is in about 20 minutes, so later.

Old Post 04-09-2002 09:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i think God and evolution are mixed together which isn't what the bible says i know, but i'm not exactly the most hardlined christian.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-09-2002 12:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-jzn-
HwanHee Wannabe

I think that it's highly improbable that the world could be created through random interactions of molecules and atoms, but I've never seen proof of an omnipotent omiscient being that has been here since the beginning. That's why I believe in evolution and not creationism... evolution can be explained while creationism is just "have faith"

Old Post 04-09-2002 01:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for -jzn- Click here to Send -jzn- a Private Message Find more posts by -jzn- Add -jzn- to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

I sometimes ponder about this... I am a pretty faithful Christian, but it's interesting to propose ideas such as what Crazy had said, i used to wonder bout stuff like that.. Like the 7 days God created the world could have just been a blink for him, but for us a millenia, and it just seems to us as it has been so long...
as Humyns we can't know everything...
like i said, i don't know...

Old Post 04-09-2002 03:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigChubuff

i think dawin theory is straight out gay...

bein a monkey is not so cool

Old Post 04-09-2002 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigChubuff Click here to Send bigChubuff a Private Message Find more posts by bigChubuff Add bigChubuff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
panda boi
im a boy

we werent monkeys. monkeys are just our relatives

Old Post 04-10-2002 05:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for panda boi Click here to Send panda boi a Private Message Find more posts by panda boi Add panda boi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yupkki MEL

if we evolved from monkeys to humans...y are there still monkeys? so many things i can dissprove about evolution. i believe in creation all the way!

Old Post 04-10-2002 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Yupkki MEL Find more posts by Yupkki MEL Add Yupkki MEL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

panda boi's right

monkey's are our relatives, we didn't replace them. The only way they would not exist today would be if we killed them or if they died out. Basically, natural selection created mutations which in turn created more mutations that carried on through generations. These mutations became so different from the species of monkey that we have come to where we classify them as a different one. Though throughout the process of evolution, these mutations didn't carry on through the entire species, as in this situation monkeys. Mutations are rare, and when they do occur they will only occur within that particular mutated monkey and another monkey's offspring. So there will be one carried through mutation to the next generation out of thousands of others. It's not as if everytime a monkey was "mutated", he went around to all the other monkeys in the world and impregnated them so that the next generation would be all mutated as well. The rest of the population of monkeys continued to have regular babies, and that one abnormal monkey had an abnormal baby. And when that mutated baby has an offspring, and that offspring has another offspring the trend will continue and through all that somewhere down the timeline that same generation has another mutation which makes it that much more different and the process continues until "humans" come. See? It's very simple we didn't replace them, they just have created a new subgroup of monkeys, called human. The logic that monkey's can't exist today, would mean that we'd be the only species on earth if we involve macro-evolution. It's not right. (this is not meant as insulting)

Being a monkey may be gay, but it can be explained logically (no offense chub , it was a funny comment ) . I kind of like monkeys on a side note though . Anyway, hope this helps.

Old Post 04-10-2002 06:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

a big issue with the evolution is time. Creationists think that the world is young, while the evolutionists think that the world is billions of years old.

If you read the bible, it says that God didn't make day and night until the the 4th day. If day and night was created the 4th day, how could there be day and night on the first day, day and night on the second day?

We don't know how long the earlier "days" were. They could've lasted for millions or even billions of years. Becuz there was no regular 24 hour passing between day and night until the 4th day when he created the "day".

um, did that make sense?

so what i'm saying is, it could probably be a mix.

Old Post 04-11-2002 09:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nite_sky

I'm doing an evolution unit in my bio class... Something interesting we (my class) learned: many (most?) evolutionists are gnostic, as in they believe there's a god who guides evolution or something like that... >_< not sure exactly what my teacher said...

Old Post 04-15-2002 03:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nite_sky Click here to Send nite_sky a Private Message Find more posts by nite_sky Add nite_sky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

do you mean Agnostic? Meaning, someone who believes it is impossible to tell whether or not there is a god. That could be so, as many creationists are swaying towards evolution now which would classify them in that.

Old Post 04-15-2002 03:45 PM
heyitsdean

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman

Being a monkey may be gay, but it can be explained logically (no offense chub , it was a funny comment ) . I kind of like monkeys on a side note though . Anyway, hope this helps.

Lil zane appreciates the admittance sir

Old Post 04-15-2002 04:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for heyitsdean Click here to Send heyitsdean a Private Message Find more posts by heyitsdean Add heyitsdean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

haha, thank you sir. Though Lil zane has known for some time about my liking of monkeys (winks to lil zane). Our actions would contradict if i thought otherwise if you know what i mean, ho ho. :exclaim:

Old Post 04-15-2002 06:00 PM
tm11
down by law

hmm...
juss wondering, but for those who believe in evolution..(i'm forgetting the answer to this and I'm too lazy to look it up)
how did life start then?

Old Post 04-16-2002 07:04 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yeah, this is kind of far fetched (no more than creation i might add), though somehow the elements of life floating around in the universe came together (however unprobable) and created life through pure spontaneoity and randomness/luck. Through that life evolved through billions of years to where it has become today. Thats what i think anyway, i read about it in our Biology book actually as well (we were not taught that unit for some reason).

Old Post 04-16-2002 12:39 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Just a straight question:

Why does the bible have to be "interpreted"?

What i mean is, that if the bible is correct, then why do we have to interpret it to make it seem more believable? Grabbing a quote from above ".. Like the 7 days God created the world could have just been a blink for him, but for us a millenia." Why isn't the bible just correct if it's true? It's as if people have to bend the teachings of the bible to make it work to replace present day logic. It's not as if god wrote the bible (correct me if people say he did ). So it could have been 7 winks for god but 7 millenia for us? It's not an autobiography, other people wrote it so it should be correct in years, or were they told so by god to write this? I'm not sure exactly.

Anyway, i think this "interpretation" has become a plank attached to faith that has corrupted logical thought. . There's no offense intended there...really.

Old Post 04-17-2002 04:35 PM
tm11
down by law

That quote earlier isn't what i believe in, it was just an interesting thought i once had in middle school.

The bible is interpreted so that people can find the meaning. It's just plain hermeneutics. I don't think it's necessarily stretched to make it more believable.

Another thing is, over time, words can be manipulated, God himself did not write the bible, Humyns did, but make no mistake, the Bible did come from God.

Take any influential contemporary philosophy book, and read a book from a student of that philosopher. I guarantee you they will not be the same, because of the hermeneutical standpoint of the Student. They interpret the meaning in a different way. Also, some philosophers intend for people to take different meanings from the text, as long as it follows the underlying basis of their philosophy. Heidegger wished that readers "commit violence" to the text (no that doesn't mean rip the books up) to find the true meaning.

Also, anyone can use scripture to their purpose. It's not like people are trying to "make the bible more believeable"

I don't really see this as a plank attached to faith, because not all people believe in thit, that's a case-by-case thing.
Also i don't see it as corrupting logical thought, honestly, why does this corrupt logical thought? As humyns, we don't, and won't ever know everything, but what does this contradict so much? What universal laws/truths does it contradict (I'm sure i can think of some, but I can also think of answers to them as well) Please explain.

I don't see my perception of the world that far-off from others i know because i am a fairly devout Christian.

The world is what you make it to be.

Last edited by tm11 on 04-17-2002 at 05:21 PM

Old Post 04-17-2002 05:18 PM
tm11
down by law

no offense was intended in the last post, and none in this either.

but on the same token, why doesn't the probability of life being created randomly out of absolutely nothing deny logical thought. It is highly improbable that such an event would occur spontaneously, and there are many other things that have just as low a probability (even ones that have a higher probability) that haven't happened.
If it has happened, why hasn't it happened again?

Old Post 04-17-2002 05:24 PM