Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > Homework Help > Speech pls help
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Azn2296

Exclamation Speech pls help

heres my lil speech if u find any mistakes or weird wording or weird transitions pls tell me.. and o yea i need a better ending...and also what should i do to calm my nerves when i speck??

(if i posted this in the wrong forum then just change it)

As you may or may not know my name is Max Lai. Since most of you don't know me very well, here is the basic layout of my past and present.
I am a sophomore at South Hills High School and I have been at this school since my freshmen year. During the summer between my 8th grade and my freshmen year, I began swimming competitively for the Industry Hills Aquatic Center. Being a competitive swimmer urged me to tryout for the South Hills swim team. My experience in the summertime and during the school year at Industry Hills really paid off because I ended up being one of the few freshmen on the Varsity team.
Before a swim meet I’ll eat my favorite food. Which is pizza because it has all the food groups in it and it gives me energy the next day to swim hard. Swimming, in my opinion, is a very good for endurance and cardiovascular activity. When I swim, I always put 100% effort into it, whether it is for fun or competition. The best feeling is when you have all of your family and friends cheering you along, stroke by stroke. When the atmosphere begins to grow tenser and I see there is a challenge, I am always up for it.
My family and my friends are the most important people in my life because they make me happy when I’m feeling down and they make up what I am today. When I’m out there swimming I always keep in mind of this quote by Anon, he said, “Winners never quit and quitters never win”. To me this quote pushes me to do harder and harder on anything I do. It reminds me to never quit because at the end it’s worth all the hard work I did. I believe that everyone in this world, no matter who they are, they make a difference in this world.
Doing what I like the most, swimming made me want to join a water polo team and some day hopefully in the future, I will be able to teach children what I love best, to swim. Drawing has also become one of my favorite hobbies. Whenever I feel bored, I take out some white paper and a pencil and draw whatever comes to mind. Since I like drawing in the future I’m hoping to be a car designer.
I hope this speech tells you a little something about me and I hoped you enjoyed it.

My Xanga

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-15-2002 04:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Azn2296 Click here to Send Azn2296 a Private Message Visit Azn2296's homepage! Find more posts by Azn2296 Add Azn2296 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

what are you trying to acheive with this speech?

newaiz besides the point... try this for an ending...

With drawing as my hobby, being a designer is my aspiration. I wish to design cars as a possible pursuit as my life's career. Even though i aspire to be a designer, i will never to lose sight of my first love of swimming, because (your reason). With this in mind i hope i have given you a little taste of who i really am, and what i love to do. Thank you for your time and attention... (don't forget to )

Old Post 10-16-2002 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nojeel

moved to homework help

note: school help basically..im sure if this was in there someone can help you..

Old Post 10-21-2002 08:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nojeel Click here to Send Nojeel a Private Message Find more posts by Nojeel Add Nojeel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Re: Speech pls help

quote:
Originally posted by Azn2296

1) As you may or may not know my name is Max Lai. Since most of you don't know me very well, here is the basic layout of my past and present.

2) I am a sophomore at South Hills High School and I have been at this school since my freshmen year. During the summer between my 8th grade and my freshmen year, I began swimming competitively for the Industry Hills Aquatic Center. Being a competitive swimmer urged me to tryout for the South Hills swim team. My experience in the summertime and during the school year at Industry Hills really paid off because I ended up being one of the few freshmen on the Varsity team.
3) Before a swim meet I’ll eat my favorite food. Which is pizza because it has all the food groups in it and it gives me energy the next day to swim hard. Swimming, in my opinion, is a very good for endurance and cardiovascular activity. When I swim, I always put 100% effort into it, whether it is for fun or competition. The best feeling is when you have all of your family and friends cheering you along, stroke by stroke. When the atmosphere begins to grow tenser and I see there is a challenge, I am always up for it.
4) My family and my friends are the most important people in my life because they make me happy when I’m feeling down and they make up what I am today. When I’m out there swimming I always keep in mind of this quote by Anon, he said, “Winners never quit and quitters never win”. To me this quote pushes me to do harder and harder on anything I do. It reminds me to never quit because at the end it’s worth all the hard work I did. I believe that everyone in this world, no matter who they are, they make a difference in this world.
5) Doing what I like the most, swimming made me want to join a water polo team and some day hopefully in the future, I will be able to teach children what I love best, to swim. Drawing has also become one of my favorite hobbies. Whenever I feel bored, I take out some white paper and a pencil and draw whatever comes to mind. Since I like drawing in the future I’m hoping to be a car designer.
6) I hope this speech tells you a little something about me and I hoped you enjoyed it.

hmmm k

1) -As you may or may not know my name is Max Lai. Since most of you don't know me very well. That's all pretty redundant. You talk about whether or not they may know you, and then go on about how most of them don't know you well. Cut the first part out and just stick with, "my name is Max Lai."
-here is the basic layout of my past and present. There is a diction problem with "basic layout." The wording is strange too, perhaps you should try something else like: "It is my intention today to speak of who I am, and to educate you all of my past and my present life."

2) -My experience in the summertime and during the school year at Industry Hills really paid off because I ended up being one of the few freshmen on the Varsity team. A bit wordy. Perhaps it would be better to change that into: "My experience during the summer and in school at Industry Hills paid off greatly. I ended up being one of ..."

3) -Before a swim meet I’ll eat my favorite food. Which is pizza because it has all the food groups in it and it gives me energy the next day to swim hard. whoa. okay, "i'll" should be "i would." Which is pizza, a relative clause belongs to the first sentence. So it should be "...swim meet I would eat my favorite food, pizza. It has all the neccessary food groups and the abundant energy it gives me is essential to providing me with the strength to swim hard." That was a bit rough, you might want to toy around with that.
-When I swim, I always put 100% effort into it... The best feeling is when you have all of your family and friends cheering you along, stroke by stroke. When the atmosphere begins to grow tenser and I see there is a challenge, I am always up for it. First part could be rephrased to "When I swim, I always put in 100%." Gets rid of the redundant words.
- "Tenser" does not exist in the english language. "more tense" does.
- "When the atmosphere begins to grow tenser and I see there is a challenge, I am always up for it." That, in a sense, contradicts your first statement. First, the first part doesn't fit in, and by stating as such, you imply that you are always up for it only when the atmosphere grows more tense and when you spot a challenge. Try to find a way to rephrase that.

4) -they make up what I am today. That should be changed. It really isn't true in the literal sense, and you don't articulate how they "make you up" in the more intangible meaning.
-When I’m out there swimming I always keep in mind of this quote by Anon, he said, “Winners... Sounds strange. You should change it to, "While I am swimming, a familiar quote by Anon (who is Anon btw, you should explain) echoes through my mind:"
-To me this quote pushes me to do harder and harder on anything I do. "To me" is uneccessary. Perhaps you can rephrase the end to "...harder and harder in all the tasks I encounter."
- It reminds me to never quit because at the end it’s worth all the hard work I did. There is a lot of useless words in there. "It also reminds me that one should never quit because the ends make all the hard work worth the effort." <--rough, you should change it.
-I believe that everyone in this world, no matter who they are, they make a difference in this world. You really don't need "they" and "in this world," you said it already. "I believe that everyone in this world can make a difference, no matter who they are." would be a better way to phrase it.

5) -and some day hopefully in the future, I will be able to teach children what I love best, to swim "some day hopefully in the future." They all mean the SAME THING. lol. You can take out two of them and leave just one.
-Drawing has also become one of my favorite hobbies. Whenever I feel bored, I take out some white paper and a pencil and draw whatever comes to mind. Since I like drawing in the future I’m hoping to be a car designer. WHOA. That comes out of nowhere. At least try to devote another paragraph to that. Ealier (the sentence before!) you state that you really want to be a swim instructor. Then in the next sentence you say you want to be a car designer. I sense some discrepency.

6) I hope this speech tells you a little something about me and I hoped you enjoyed it. Thats a pretty weak ending, almost like you're begging for their approval. It would be best if you changed it.

hope those comments help you. =)

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 10-22-2002 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
az0nd2r3

whoaaaaa......thats some long advice....that changes nearly the whole essay.... :omg:
but....i dont do too well in english....

Old Post 10-22-2002 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for az0nd2r3 Click here to Send az0nd2r3 a Private Message Find more posts by az0nd2r3 Add az0nd2r3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jj2
JSL Member

u should seriously be an english teacher or something Crazydeb8ter

Old Post 10-22-2002 02:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jj2 Click here to Send Jj2 a Private Message Find more posts by Jj2 Add Jj2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Azn2296

wow ur good i lerned something today ... and that thingy that i posted it was corrected by 3 people and revised too. and then there still a lot of crappy shit in it... ur ever better then my teachers in grading theses things....u should be an englih teacher

My Xanga

Old Post 10-22-2002 11:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Azn2296 Click here to Send Azn2296 a Private Message Visit Azn2296's homepage! Find more posts by Azn2296 Add Azn2296 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote