Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Flowing on the Laptop
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Flowing on the Laptop

Any of you tried that (debaters)?

It's a puzzling idea for me, when you stand up to give you speech, per se the 1nr; if the judge wants you to give it from a podium, then you can't really take the laptop with you (the cord), so are you going to use your partner's flow? Seems like a bad idea to me because your partner may have a different flowing and marking style than you, and also, he may suck a lot more than you= bare bones flow.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-26-2002 05:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

what da hell are u talkin about

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 09-26-2002 06:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KPak-NC

same thing im wondering... :huh:

Old Post 09-26-2002 06:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KPak-NC Click here to Send KPak-NC a Private Message Find more posts by KPak-NC Add KPak-NC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhymester*
$$$$$$$$$$$

yea same here..no idea watsoever

Old Post 09-26-2002 08:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhymester* Click here to Send rhymester* a Private Message Find more posts by rhymester* Add rhymester* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

he's talking about policy debate, like actual scholastic debate that occurs in secondary schools and colleges in the united states. Flowing is just jargon for taking notes, i.e. noting your opponents arguments.

Flowing with your laptop is stupid to do in a round I think, unless you're judging or just watching a round. I wouldn't want to use my laptop for it, It would seem rather inconvenient. On a positive note, if you have terrible penmanship like me, other people would be able to read your flows haha.
I've never tried doing it while participating in a round, paper works much better in my opinion.

Old Post 09-26-2002 04:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

oh geebus... i feel the brains floating around in this thread... haha no wonder your so adament on your opinions and ways of giving your opinion vic... i didn't know you were an actual debater... haha... i can't stand anything near an argument... lets just say i get too passionate HAHA... id rather be a motivational speaker...

Old Post 09-27-2002 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by TyGer STyLe
i didn't know you were an actual debater...

were is right haha i quit last year...
i'm considering of rejoining the team senior year; get back into the action per se...

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 09-27-2002 03:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
Flowing with your laptop is stupid to do in a round I think, unless you're judging or just watching a round. I wouldn't want to use my laptop for it, It would seem rather inconvenient. On a positive note, if you have terrible penmanship like me, other people would be able to read your flows haha.
I've never tried doing it while participating in a round, paper works much better in my opinion.

heres what I heard from Mike burshteyn (CPS A, won a couple rounds at the TOC, also the friend of one of my classmates [what a privelege to know such a great debater]) about flowing on the laptop:

(copied and pasted from c-x.com)

"it's cool because every speech i give becomes blox for the future, i have intelligence on every round effortlessly, and i can cut/paste cards and blocks INTO my flows, making speeches a lot less messy. and i type faster and more neatly than i write..."

I find that in more higher levels, the judges don't care, or prefer people to give their speeches from their seats (last time i watched him, he went to the podium for his speeches). So upper tier debaters don't really run into the problem of moving around their laptop.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 09-27-2002 07:49 AM
twinkie
twinkie

bleh...debate team...
they kicked me off cuz i sucked.

Old Post 09-29-2002 05:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for twinkie Click here to Send twinkie a Private Message Find more posts by twinkie Add twinkie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

heres what I heard from Mike burshteyn (CPS A, won a couple rounds at the TOC, also the friend of one of my classmates [what a privelege to know such a great debater]) about flowing on the laptop:

(copied and pasted from c-x.com)

"it's cool because every speech i give becomes blox for the future, i have intelligence on every round effortlessly, and i can cut/paste cards and blocks INTO my flows, making speeches a lot less messy. and i type faster and more neatly than i write..."

I find that in more higher levels, the judges don't care, or prefer people to give their speeches from their seats (last time i watched him, he went to the podium for his speeches). So upper tier debaters don't really run into the problem of moving around their laptop.

yeah I've heard those points and still don't really care for them, If I want a block to a position then I can just type it up or write it, it really isn't difficult, and it's not hard to remember the arguments on the fly either.
Sitting down is silly. It seems that you'd be able to breathe better standing up, and people who do it are only copying the badass debaters of years past , It looks bad perceptually and it looks silly as well, but hey, to each his own... it's all good.

Old Post 09-30-2002 09:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote