Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Experience > purpose.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
micron
all i need is a miracle

purpose.

at times i wonder what i am doing here. life can be.. so meaningless.. sometimes.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-11-2003 05:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chinesegrl

yea i know what you mean like what were you made for and why.. there's a lot you can learn throught your years.. well at least thats what i think..

Old Post 03-11-2003 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chinesegrl Click here to Send Chinesegrl a Private Message Visit Chinesegrl's homepage! Find more posts by Chinesegrl Add Chinesegrl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
craziistarz
where is the love?

even though you may think your life is meaningless at the moment. you will [B]realize how important everything in your life is.. and how much of an impact u make on other people.. ehh dunno if this helps..

Old Post 03-12-2003 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for craziistarz Click here to Send craziistarz a Private Message Visit craziistarz's homepage! Find more posts by craziistarz Add craziistarz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kangg fu

yeah all of these have felt like that at least once in our life...dont worry and be happy...God has a purpose for you and will show you in due time...also this is jason man from nyack high school what college u going to?

Old Post 03-13-2003 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kangg fu Click here to Send kangg fu a Private Message Find more posts by kangg fu Add kangg fu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

well, sometimes I feel as if my life is meaningless too... but as I have stated before, I want to make sure I have a purpose in my lifetime. I want to do something great that will benefit for myself and someone else. I want to achieve something that will help others.

Old Post 03-14-2003 03:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lostadonis
...just lost

purpose in life? Anything can serve a purpose.

Remember...you can mean the world to a single person. That should be reason enough to go on. That should be reason enough to understand that life isn't meaningless.

Old Post 03-14-2003 05:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lostadonis Click here to Send lostadonis a Private Message Find more posts by lostadonis Add lostadonis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Re: purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by jusunlee
life can be.. so meaningless.. sometimes.

it is.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 03-14-2003 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

Re: Re: purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
it is.

really? can you elaborate?

Old Post 03-14-2003 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Re: Re: Re: purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay
really? can you elaborate?

yeah, i'll do more later if i don't do that much now cuase i haev to get going. Life has no meaning, that would apply some sort of omniscient to create that purpose for it. I'm atheist so of course i think there is no meaning to life. Any meaning you "find" is creating by yourself. Nothihng has meaning, we create it. I don't have a purpose in life, no one does. They can label it a purpose, but it will never be an absolute purpose. We have to constantly measure everything on the absolute level if we are to live truthfully, and furthermore we have to recognize the existence of other perspectives always accepting the tenet that nothing can ever be true or nothing can ever be "right." When we accept everything as equal we can then begin to progress in our stance of passive progression of knowledge. We won't ever know everything, the idea of the law of tolerance or whatever Bronowski called it. We won't know the absolute, or anything in our world beyond our perception, but that does not mean we should not continue to look. Or it can, whichever you choose, doens't matter whichever course you take.

It doesn't matter if you are important to anyone or anything, because nothing ever matters. Nobody cares, they really don't ultimately, and nothing matters of course. Sure, it matters relative to the time we are in, but nothing really ever matters at all. I could die right now and it wouldn't matter in all honesty. 500,000 years from now would it matter? nope.

Life IS meaningless, but we can pretend it's not. But, then again i can't say that with absolute certainty since i realize that other perspectives exist in the area of religion and such and id on't know what is true. However, in this idealism, it's easy to just brush aside this argument and say it doesn't matter what i just said, cause i doesn't really.

Ah, sorry this is jumbled but i'm in a hurry. This is a terrible replyi apologize, further enquire if you would like i would love to answer.

-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 03-14-2003 at 11:40 PM

Old Post 03-14-2003 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

Re: Re: Re: Re: purpose.

can you elaborate more? because from reading your post i get the impression that you're implying that martin luther king jr's life didn't matter at all, and neither did gandhi's nor christopher columbus'.

Old Post 03-15-2003 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by daNNy LuV 1TYM
can you elaborate more? because from reading your post i get the impression that you're implying that martin luther king jr's life didn't matter at all, and neither did gandhi's nor christopher columbus'.

Yes, No one's life matters. Therefore, mlk jr.'s life didn't matter, gandhi's life didn't matter, christopher columbus' life doesn't matter, mine doesn't matter, and neither does yours or anyone elses.

whatever their struggle was for doesn't mean that their life all of a sudden "mattered." I mean, it can to you i suppose, but it doesn't just become somehtign of importance. What did they fight for? human rights? Humans dont' have rights, nothing does. We could be living in complete racial dichotomies and i'd be ultimately okay with that. I might not like it, but it's not like what i say has any meaning to it. Furthermore, it's all just part of the animal kingdom, survivla of the fittest, i don't care if i'm oppressed. I don't deserve to be treated better, no one does, there's nothing inherent that makes it so. Kill anyone you want. It's not wrong, nothign is right or wrong becaue morality is an artificiality created by humanity. Again, i don't care.

-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 03-15-2003 at 02:48 AM

Old Post 03-15-2003 02:42 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
at times i wonder what i am doing here. life can be.. so meaningless.. sometimes.

Decide what you are doing here, make your life have meaning if you want to.

Old Post 03-15-2003 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Valor
prelapsarian dweller

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose."
-Robert Byrne

You're here for a purpose man, and it's up to you to find out what that purpose is. You're meant to do great things, and one day, like others, you'll find out what exactly that purpose is....just have patience.

you'll turn and walk away, never
knowing that you are my life.

Old Post 03-15-2003 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Valor Click here to Send Valor a Private Message Visit Valor's homepage! Find more posts by Valor Add Valor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

quote:

\
it's called senioritis you bych GO TO SCHOOOOOOL!.

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 03-15-2003 05:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg
: My Avatar is So CUTE :

Re: Re: purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by KeN VeRsUs RyU
\
it's called senioritis you bych GO TO SCHOOOOOOL!.

puahahaha. im in a physics class full of seniors. im the only one in there, and after midterms, all of them just gave up. now im trying to just survive. haha. their case of senioritis is very contagious. oh..btw, im a junior

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Old Post 03-15-2003 04:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lostadonis
...just lost

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: purpose.

quote:
Yes, No one's life matters. Therefore, mlk jr.'s life didn't matter, gandhi's life didn't matter, christopher columbus' life doesn't matter, mine doesn't matter, and neither does yours or anyone elses.

cynical...no? I'm glad someone here has expressed your kind of point of view. It helps firm my belief that I have a purpose. Hey! You just served a purpose. THANKS! How does that make you feel?

Old Post 03-15-2003 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lostadonis Click here to Send lostadonis a Private Message Find more posts by lostadonis Add lostadonis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yes, i just served an artificial, created purpose of yourself and others. It makes me feel the same, whatever "purpose" i just served doesn't matter, so i feel the same.

furthermore, i don't see why you call it cynical. It's in no way pessimistic. If anything it's optimistic in nature and people like you perceive it to be some sort of pessimism. Whatever i'm saying and whatever idealism it falls under is saying that nothing matters, therefore there's no reason to invest false ideas into anything for it to let you down. And, the opposite is true, there's no reason why we shouldn't invest false ideas or do anything. Everything is all right because nothing matters in a universal sense. By always keeping a scope with universality in mind, we are allowed to assess a more rational view of everything. Not dwelling in trivialities. Questioning everything's worth until we realize that something is worth only how much we infuse in it. Then we realize that everything is artificial because we created it ourselves. And, since that happens we aren't bounded by questions like "is god existent?" or anything because it wouldn't matter if he/she/it was or not. I'm just saying, since nothing matters, there is nothign to weigh us down, and that is optimistic in nature. I don't know i'm getting lazy and don't feel like explaining any furhter. I mean, you are acting as if life is as great as it's meaning and it's not. I don't know who said this, Sartre? i have no idea, but i like it: "We must love life more than the meaning of it." This tenet allows us to constantly aim towards changing our reality. Or not. It's saying it doesn't matter what you do because nothing is better than anything else or something. Because of that, whatever you infuse meaning with can mean something ot you but we can realize that even this isn't "meaningful" on a universal sense. And hence you can live whatever way you want, and you can choose what you want to do in your life becuase of that. It's optimistic and uplifting in a way. It's a riddance of any burden that we have in religious followings of reaching heaven or any other comparison of the sort. It's prioritzing the universal as opposed to the relative, but always honoring conditions of the latter. It's not a complete negligence of relativism. It's just a state to reach where you will always be more aware of everything in a grander scope. It's not pessimistic, it's not cynical. Looking through a mindset of someone who thinks there is a definite purpose for us out there, and that we just have to find it....sure i guess it could be not as meaningful, life that is, in your view. But, that's locked in your mindset. Meaning isn't everyhting, in fact it's little. It's just a different way of looking at things. And, i realize i'm a minority in this mentality, so i konw a lot of people will perceive it the way you did, and it's just not. Stop. Just because i dont' care about a lot of things doens't mean i dont' care abut anything. There are things i care about, and i recognize that anything i care about i have artificially infused with meaning. But, because i gave that meaning, it makes it all the more special, even more special than most other mentalities subsume. Ask more if you want clarification.

edit: btw, i don't like the entire tone of your post. It sounds repulsive in it's goal. As if you want to convince me otherwise of my beliefs so i think there is meaning. I'm content and as hard as it may be for you to believe very happy, so please leave me that way, i dont' want to think the way you do about life which is why i don't. Same goes with religion, so please stop acting like i'm your "purpose." The whole thing just sounds oppresive in its nature...ugh. What a purpose...to change the minorities views into the majority... . My, how beautiful discipline is.

-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 03-16-2003 at 09:58 PM

Old Post 03-16-2003 05:18 AM
lostadonis
...just lost

quote:
yes, i just served an artificial, created purpose of yourself and others. It makes me feel the same, whatever "purpose" i just served doesn't matter, so i feel the same.

It's just a different way of looking at things.

edit: btw, i don't like the entire tone of your post. It sounds repulsive in it's goal. As if you want to convince me otherwise of my beliefs so i think there is meaning. I'm content and as hard as it may be for you to believe very happy, so please leave me that way, i dont' want to think the way you do about life which is why i don't. Same goes with religion, so please stop acting like i'm your "purpose." The whole thing just sounds oppresive in its nature...ugh. What a purpose...to change the minorities views into the majority... . My, how beautiful discipline is.

I could care less if you changed your mindset, I wouldn't dare try to change it either. Only because, what,..."to each his own." But I got a little upset when you were saying things like, ' so and so's life was meaningless, and so is mine, and so is all of yours.' That's where my reaction came in, and that's why I replied like that. I can't ask you to agree with why I wrote that, but I can ask you to understand from my point of view.

I understand what you think of life, and I know people who would totally agree with your ideals of what life is for. I just have trouble accepting it. That's the truth. I'm not closed minded, so don't think that. You and I probably see things the same way...understanding the other's point of view, but just can't/won't accept it as our own.

**I'm at work, can't really get into this reply in full detail, so I figure I just leave it at this.

..to each his own.

Old Post 03-17-2003 10:04 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

all right, thank you. Then you can see why i get offended when people goiong around saying "oh, now i have purpose" after hearing what i have to say about life. It sounded challenging, very much so.

But, I understand your view completely and i understand why you think that way. I just don't believe that. I understand your point of view, if i hadn't by now it's been shoved in my face enough times by evangelists in my life that i would have to know it by now.

-Cromwell

Old Post 03-17-2003 10:14 PM
lostadonis
...just lost

right on.

Old Post 03-18-2003 12:56 AM