Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > General > Random Thoughts > Martial Arts!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DarkPrince

Martial Arts!

Do martial arts promote violence :sleepy: ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-03-2002 04:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DarkPrince Click here to Send DarkPrince a Private Message Find more posts by DarkPrince Add DarkPrince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

no.

Old Post 12-03-2002 07:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IronPanda322

i agree, no

Old Post 12-03-2002 08:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IronPanda322 Click here to Send IronPanda322 a Private Message Find more posts by IronPanda322 Add IronPanda322 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

moved to random thoughts. the q&c forum is for site related feedback only.

Old Post 12-03-2002 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DarkPrince

Martial Arts...

Who think martial arts promote violence? Please explain...

Old Post 12-04-2002 12:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DarkPrince Click here to Send DarkPrince a Private Message Find more posts by DarkPrince Add DarkPrince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg
: My Avatar is So CUTE :

hmm...i dont think it promotes violence, cuz they teach to only use it for self defense. i think its the movies that show martial arts, that promote violence.

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Old Post 12-04-2002 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

I don't think they promote violence at all. Most martial arts, while teaching you how to defend yourself against violent attackers and respond to those attacks, also emphasize the importance of avoiding fights if at all possible. The most accomplished martial artists do what they do to avoid fights, and avoid hurting people. Martial arts teach discipline, alertness, as well as many other things, but I don't think they promote violence. Even the most "violent" styles of martial arts still teach that fighting and violence should be avoided if at all possible.

Old Post 12-04-2002 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
I don't think they promote violence at all. Most martial arts, while teaching you how to defend yourself against violent attackers and respond to those attacks, also emphasize the importance of avoiding fights if at all possible. The most accomplished martial artists do what they do to avoid fights, and avoid hurting people. Martial arts teach discipline, alertness, as well as many other things, but I don't think they promote violence. Even the most "violent" styles of martial arts still teach that fighting and violence should be avoided if at all possible.

very true. they promote peacefulness, not violence. i believe martial arts is a form of physical art that requires much skill and talent, like dancing. it's not sumtin to beat pplz up. that stuff in movies and on tv isn't martial arts.

Old Post 12-04-2002 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DarkPrince

Even I don't think it promotes violence. I have to write my final paper, in an argument: one side argues that it promotes violence and one side that it promote peace...Somehow, I need to find evidences for the violence one...So anyone can help me out here?

Old Post 12-04-2002 01:05 AM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

No.

Old Post 12-04-2002 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
azn0monk
mystupidSNfromwayback

chinese martial arts/kung fu come from shaolin temple and wudan mountains, shaolin(buddhist) wudan (some taoist monks)

this is why u find tai chi people as healers, but in China they also are fighters in essence. tai chi is the most feared style in China..
but in America wat do u see? some old ppl moving around.
it never became known as a martial art in America because not many teachers had risen to that level, usually kept the secrets in China, and it takes 10+ years to reach a martial level.

if anyone type of PEACE was taught in martial arts, it came from Shaolin/taoist monks... Healing+martial=harmony..think about it..
All the meditation..

thats some background info..

Many kung fu teachers wont' even accept you. You know why? You are American, stereotypicalized as wanting to be up Johnny at school. (this happens)
You hear about kids taking karate to go showoff their skills in the halls at school. So in truth, its the things like karate that makes kids wanna fight.

theres some LO MEIN FO YO BRAIN~~

Old Post 12-04-2002 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for azn0monk Click here to Send azn0monk a Private Message Find more posts by azn0monk Add azn0monk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yur_swt_angel
:)

-_-; sumwhun merge this with the other thread#@$@!

Old Post 12-04-2002 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yur_swt_angel Click here to Send yur_swt_angel a Private Message Find more posts by yur_swt_angel Add yur_swt_angel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
castle outsider

um...yes? dunno cause they fight and stuff

Old Post 12-04-2002 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

i don't think they do... cuz people in them are trained to only do it for protection... rite? ^^

Old Post 12-04-2002 06:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IronPanda322

Hrmm.....the flip side to martial arts. Well ok here's what you could say that Martial Arts promotes violence. Basically martial arts teaches you how to fight. There's no way around that. You practice for hours ways to fight and beat your opponent down. Depending on what style most of them teach you to beat them down to the point where they won't get back at you, destroying techniques i guess you could call it. And a lot of young people these days use it to beat on other people and punk them for money. In the old days some monks left the temples and became bandits and terrorizing the country. That's why the Emperor had the temples burned down once.

That's all for the promotion of violence, but there are obviosly hundreds of ways to counterpoint these arguments. but i hope that helps.

Old Post 12-04-2002 10:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for IronPanda322 Click here to Send IronPanda322 a Private Message Find more posts by IronPanda322 Add IronPanda322 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

threads merged.

Old Post 12-04-2002 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

haven't read the thread yet, but:

They don't as a whole, but of course they do to an extent. Exercising any form of violence is still promoting it, even with the discipline that goes along with the whole "self-defense" mentality prominent among so many martial arts. So, they do and they don't. Not intent wise, but the practice of it does.

"any trace of violence will infinitely breed more violence!!" (in sarcastic excited tone, a debate joke, don't take it too seriously)

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 12-04-2002 09:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NaRa JjAnG
i wanna be tetris champ

no it doesn't

www.xanga.com/choi127

Old Post 12-05-2002 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NaRa JjAnG Click here to Send NaRa JjAnG a Private Message Find more posts by NaRa JjAnG Add NaRa JjAnG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
castle outsider

alright..martial arts itself doesnt promot violence cause it teaches you responsibility and all that, but then how its used in movies it does promote violence..

Old Post 12-05-2002 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dalgyal
eGG head :D*

martial arts is a way of defending urself..
iss not really 'violent'.. or is it? :huh:

Old Post 12-05-2002 04:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dalgyal Click here to Send dalgyal a Private Message Visit dalgyal's homepage! Find more posts by dalgyal Add dalgyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote