Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > 9/11 Nationalism
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GinaDaQueen

9/11 Nationalism

So what do you guys think about the nationalism spreading due to 9/11?

Honestly, I think it's great and all

But i also think it's sorta sad that it took a disaster like this to get us united...you know? Why couldn't we all be more nationalistic even if WTC wasn't destroyed? It seems like a "fad" because all of a sudden, American flags are being sold out.....but i think most people only do it to "show their partiotism" even though they couldn't give a rat's ass about the actual incident

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-05-2002 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GinaDaQueen Click here to Send GinaDaQueen a Private Message Find more posts by GinaDaQueen Add GinaDaQueen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

yea...das exactly how i feel..

Old Post 06-05-2002 12:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kRypTic_nABi Click here to Send kRypTic_nABi a Private Message Find more posts by kRypTic_nABi Add kRypTic_nABi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

i really don't think our generation is going to act like it's a fad throughout their entire life. Sure flag sales may go down, but I honestly think that the patriotism found through this event will live loudly or subtly within everyone who saw and knew the significance of its lives. Kind of like the pride of america the people of the pearl harbor age lives on.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 06-05-2002 12:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

it takes tragic events to make people realize some aspects of the world.

like the Holocaust, or world war I

Old Post 06-05-2002 12:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

I agree with the fad thing. It seems like it very much

Old Post 06-05-2002 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

yea i think it's pretty sad that it took a tragedy to give us more patriotism.....

but i guess that what makes you stronger... how you act during troubled times or a disaster.... obviously you're never gonna forget it.... although you may get over it...

Old Post 06-05-2002 05:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dreamcatcher

I'm American, though I'm not living there now. So, having an 'outsider's' view, I'm sorry to say, but a lot of the so-called patriotism seems more like plain hate. Yes, the country has become more united, and that's good, but the thing where people go buy their flags etc, and talk about how much they hate Muslims and Sikhs and Afghans and terrorists (they can't tell the difference between terrorists and people that wear turbans anymore than I can) just seems like more hate. As if we don't have enough already. And then every time the 11th of any month comes around then the news is full of another tragic story of someone who died in the twin towers, and to me it just seems like another Bush ad trying to milk the War on Terrorism. I haven't been back to the US since 9/11, so perhaps I'm not in a position to say, but from HK all the patriotism and nationalism just seems like a big ruse and a flock to Bush.

Sorry if that was offensive to anyone - they are just some of my thoughts. I'm trying to be really clear here so I don't piss anyone else off... so I hope it worked.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
- Chinese Proverb

Old Post 06-05-2002 02:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dreamcatcher Click here to Send Dreamcatcher a Private Message Find more posts by Dreamcatcher Add Dreamcatcher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamcatcher
I'm American, though I'm not living there now. So, having an 'outsider's' view, I'm sorry to say, but a lot of the so-called patriotism seems more like plain hate. Yes, the country has become more united, and that's good, but the thing where people go buy their flags etc, and talk about how much they hate Muslims and Sikhs and Afghans and terrorists (they can't tell the difference between terrorists and people that wear turbans anymore than I can) just seems like more hate. As if we don't have enough already. And then every time the 11th of any month comes around then the news is full of another tragic story of someone who died in the twin towers, and to me it just seems like another Bush ad trying to milk the War on Terrorism. I haven't been back to the US since 9/11, so perhaps I'm not in a position to say, but from HK all the patriotism and nationalism just seems like a big ruse and a flock to Bush.

agreed. The war on terrorism is the only thing bush has going for him, if it weren't for 9/11, he would have his ass fried because of the Enron Scandals. Unfortunately, because most of Congress are idiots and have thrown full and unconditional support behind Bush, we cannot address some issues that should have some focus.
As for patriotism, I'll just add in a little story . There is this guy at our school, white, boy scout, etc. Before 9/11 he was pretty cool, but after what happened he started becoming radically opposed to anything that had to do with the middle east. For example, we had a fund raiser to send money to an Afghani school. After one of my friends went and donated some money (20 dollars i think) the guy went over, shoved my friend, and asked him what the fuck was his problem and whether he was retarded or not. Not just that, but whenever there is a discussion of politics, he is so supportive of bush that it becomes ridiculous. This is representive of how most Americans are. They have thrown their unconditional support behind Bush without thinking through it first. It seems that in a situation like now, most people believe that there is no middle ground. You're either with the Americans or not. And this idea is perpetuated by the speech made by Bush. In his speech he stated that, "You're either with the Americans, or you're a terrorist." First off, thats a logical fallacy (appeal to force/threat), but mostly does anyone else see the blindness and stupidity in that statement?
Ill end with that, because i have to study for my latin final now

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 06-05-2002 03:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

i have a feeling that its going to be only temporary.
remeber when oklahoma city was bombed or the 1993 wtc bombings, after that everyone was so "patriotic" and such for a while but after everyone felt safe again they stopped.

Props To Huby

Old Post 06-06-2002 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero-Sen

BUSH: RETARD

AMERICAN PUBLIC: 60% LIARS AND BAND WAGONERS 30% NO CLUERS 10% SMART PEOPLE WHO SHUT UP AND LET THE IDIOTS RUN THE WORLD

AFGHANIS: PEOPLE WHO GOT THE BAD END OF A SHORT STICK.

me: boy scout of america who does not feel that in a time of recession and so much anger and pain in AMERICA that there is a need to help the poor in needy in some country in which my donation of $20 will buy a child 3 meals and some pills then sell those for shoe money, when he's gonna die cause he stepped on some mine from the 1960's.

Old Post 06-25-2002 03:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zero-Sen Click here to Send Zero-Sen a Private Message Find more posts by Zero-Sen Add Zero-Sen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Sen

AMERICAN PUBLIC: 60% LIARS AND BAND WAGONERS 30% NO CLUERS 10% SMART PEOPLE WHO SHUT UP AND LET THE IDIOTS RUN THE WORLD

agreed...i think the Band Wagoners should be expanded tho (Congress and the dissaperance of a Bi-partisan house should be an example of this)

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 06-25-2002 03:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
annabanana
Food Moderator

The nationalism is all good but eventually it'll fade. i know that other countries felt bad for us like european countries and south korea, however i wasn't really keen with how some people took advantage of the situation by selling stuff like flags and shirts and how Boa and other artists took advantage by singing a song for us which was really a promotion effort for them instead.

Old Post 06-28-2002 05:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for annabanana Click here to Send annabanana a Private Message Find more posts by annabanana Add annabanana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Sen

AFGHANIS: PEOPLE WHO GOT THE BAD END OF A SHORT STICK.

me: boy scout of america who does not feel that in a time of recession and so much anger and pain in AMERICA that there is a need to help the poor in needy in some country in which my donation of $20 will buy a child 3 meals and some pills then sell those for shoe money, when he's gonna die cause he stepped on some mine from the 1960's.

I guess this proves that political cartoons are totally ineffective then.

Old Post 07-02-2002 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote