Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > Hard-drive problems
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sangxjin

Angry Hard-drive problems

Im having problems with my Western Digital 80 Gigabytes @ 7200 RPM. Everytime i boot up with my hard drive i get this weird clicking sound that is followed by the same clicking sound like 2 seconds after? Do you know why this is so. And after the first click the computer freezes until the second click comes and then its fine until the clicking starts again. I think it has to do with my drive overheating or something like that but i have no money :sad: and no solution yet. Anyone know whats wrong?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-05-2002 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

o shit i got that too, yoo either lost your hard drive or got a virus.... tha clik sounds happened to mee too, if yoo dun get it fixed now its goin to lose all tha info in your hard drive. It usualli cliks wen yoo shut down too rite? yea yoo mustve gotten virus from internet dload, yoo should get it cheked quik

Old Post 08-05-2002 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

i Antivirus scanned my whole computer even deep into my reg. files. I dont think its a virus but im scared of losing all that i have. Someone help quick. And i dont have money to get it checked out. :sad: I spent like $400 on water cooling stuff and case mods. AHHH :sad: someone help me!!!!!

BTW. what do you mean lost? I boot fine and everything works well except for that ANNOYING Sound that locks up my computer for a couple of seconds. ITS HAPPENING AS I TYPE!!

Old Post 08-05-2002 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

YEA YOO GET IT BEFORE IT GETS ALL MESSED UP, THE CLIKI SOUNDS IS GOIN TO GO CRAZY IN LIKE A WEEK, SERIOUSLI WUHT HAPPENED TO MINE, BUH I NEVER GOT IT CHECKED SO I LOST EVERYTHING AND HAD TO BUY A NEW HARD DRIVE

Old Post 08-05-2002 05:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

im pretty sure from what street said, his hard drive suffered a head crash. that happens when the head (reader) physically crashes in to the magnetic platter in harddrives...

but im not too sure about you, sangxjin. since a head crash would be instant with high pitched squeling sounds for a few seconds...

Old Post 08-05-2002 05:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

SHIT........!!!!!!!!!! DAMN I CAUGHT A VIRUS AND I CANT EVEN BOOT BETTER YET I CANT FORMAT MY FRICKIN HARDDRIVE..DAMNIT WTF is a bootsector virus cause it wont let me do anything. DAMN i think i have to get a new hard-drive now. Cause the old one works but the damn virus screwed it up. DAMN YOU NORTON ANTIVIRUS you suck.

Old Post 08-05-2002 03:30 PM
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

dun worry... just use win2k or winxp to format your comp...

boot from cd then select install and delete the partition. It will then give u an option of NFTS or FAT32. select one and format... just that simple

Old Post 08-05-2002 05:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

lol dont you think i would know how to do that? i tried and formatting worked but then when i try installing it says Boot Virus and then it freezes.

Old Post 08-05-2002 05:42 PM
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

haha sorry...
Hmm... maybe the memory may be corrupt with a virus... or you could try this....

http://www.f-prot.com/support/viruses.html

It shows how to get rid of a boot sector virus... it could help u.. or maybe not..

Old Post 08-05-2002 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

thats EXACTLY what it is. I dont have a XP or 2000 Full Install so im gonna get my hands on it and reformat using that. Sorry your advice was right Drunken but i kept reformatting in 98 SE and thats like DOS Based while 2000 isnt when reformatting. AHHH I dunno what im saying but thats what a friend told me.

Old Post 08-06-2002 05:28 AM
micron
all i need is a miracle

if its a boot sector virus, all you need to do for win98 is use a startup disk to access dos and type "fdisk /mbr". this deletes the first few physical sectors that contains the master boot record. if this doesnt work, access fdisk and delete all your partitions, repartition your hd, and format.

..no need to throw away a good 80gb hd.

Old Post 08-06-2002 02:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

i tried your second option but not your first. ill try it right now. thanks jusun.

Old Post 08-06-2002 02:44 PM
micron
all i need is a miracle

so did you get the harddrive to work? if not, ill be willing to buy that hd for 20$. so dont throw it away.. if you're interested, i could meet you at webstation someday for the exchange.

Old Post 08-07-2002 06:47 AM
sangxjin

lol yeah it worked. it kept messing up because i enabled boot sector virus protection and it detects the weirdest things so i disabled it and partitioned and did fdisk /mbr and formatted im just waiting for my win2k cd. thanks for the help guys.

Old Post 08-07-2002 02:56 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

>My \co.mp \is \.messed \up \too.m \I do/nt \k/now \whats \wro/ng,' \blut \i \k/now \that \blefore \the \3 \.mo/nth \.mcafee \triabl \expired \there \was \a/n \i/nfected \fible \that \coubld/n,'t \ble \cblea/ned \or \debleted \o/n \.my \co.mp.m

I,'.m \thi/nki/ng \of \hav;i/ng \so.meo/ne \hack \.my \co.mputer to \get \fibles \a/nd \the./n \pretty \.much \abla/ndo/ni/ng \.my \co.mp \u/ntiblbl \we \get \it \fixed.m

Old Post 08-08-2002 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

dude. if you have an anitivrus software and you cant delete the file or quarantine it, then it would be a really good idea to burn your backups to a cd and format.

restart in ms-dos

format c:

then all you have to do is wait for in then with your win cd load windows and your back. then install your drivers and stuff that came with the computer. that will fix the computer and run faster then when it came from the factory.

Old Post 08-08-2002 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

lol i know how to format my computer and stuff but i was just too lazy to backup anyway i got it working but it was a boot sector virus so just formatting wouldn't do anything because the virus was hidden in the MBR. anyway i also tried writing zeros to my hard drive but damn western digitals service downloads suck. you have to get one whole file that contains the write zeros utility in it.

Old Post 08-08-2002 03:49 PM