Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > School Life > Univ of California schools
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yellownerdz

Univ of California schools

I'm an out of stater and I applied to UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Davis. I have a 4.0 GPA and I am a valedictorian candidate but I sucked on the SATs. Well, I got accepted to Irvine and Davis but not UCLA. UCLA was the place I wanted to go to originally. Since I am not from California, is it worth it to go to Irvine or Davis? My major is going to be chemistry or biology. I hear that Irvine is pretty strong in the sciences so I'm leaning towards that school. Is it worth it to go to that school for an out of stater?? Thoughts please. Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2002 07:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yellownerdz Find more posts by yellownerdz Add yellownerdz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

i heard irvine was gOod fOr da computers stuff..i think? not sure..wouldnt knoe cuz i'm not in college..but every university in california is a great school..dO sum research..go to the university's webpage..

Old Post 05-05-2002 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kRypTic_nABi Click here to Send kRypTic_nABi a Private Message Find more posts by kRypTic_nABi Add kRypTic_nABi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

is it harder for out of staters to go to uc schools? i was hoping to apply to uc berkeley next year... and im al the way in new york.

:sad:

Old Post 05-05-2002 08:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

its way harder...because most of da uc skools look at the people that live in kali first..then they go look at the people from outta state with the best records..but..if u live in kali for at least 2 years..ur chances are way better of gettin in..and its cheaper..i knoe a few people dat are doing dat.. =T

Old Post 05-05-2002 08:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kRypTic_nABi Click here to Send kRypTic_nABi a Private Message Find more posts by kRypTic_nABi Add kRypTic_nABi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

uhh not all UCs are great schools...

UC Davis has a good agricultural background.
I dunno much about IRvine

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-05-2002 08:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
uhh not all UCs are great schools...

UC Davis has a good agricultural background.
I dunno much about IRvine

well yea..but most .. sorrie if i'm sounding all jjal lan chyuk didnt mean too >.<

Old Post 05-05-2002 08:31 AM
hyunnie03
kang ta's yujah

quote:
Originally posted by jusunlee

is it harder for out of staters to go to uc schools? i was hoping to apply to uc berkeley next year... and im al the way in new york.

:sad:

yeah i was wondering the same thing b/c i live out in alabama and i really want to go to berkeley

Old Post 05-05-2002 09:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hyunnie03 Click here to Send hyunnie03 a Private Message Visit hyunnie03's homepage! Find more posts by hyunnie03 Add hyunnie03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yellownerdz

wut do you mean Davis has good agricultural background?? What is that farming?? I don't want to go to a farming school LOL! Is that what DAvis is? LOL Damn what a waste of 40 dollars for application fee!

Old Post 05-05-2002 03:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yellownerdz Find more posts by yellownerdz Add yellownerdz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yellownerdz

Yeah I think getting into UC schools are pretty hard especially UCLA and Berkeley and I would think UCLA would be a little easier than Berkeley. Even with my perfect GPA, I didn't get accepted to UCLA. Maybe itz cuz I sucked on SATs?? I didn't even get 1200 LOL dats probably why which really sux. I should of done better but I'm terrible at standardized tests. So since DAvis is a "farming" school, is UCI really crappy??

Old Post 05-05-2002 03:03 PM
gaeko

wassup yellownerdz, if u wanna chat, hit me up on AIm at phat15phil ...I got acepted into Irvine, Davis, Santa Barbara, and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Davis has a reputation of being a farm school, it IS an ag school, but its not really like that. Cool part is that its right next to sacramento, so you have somewhere to go to have fun. Davis is HUGE...and has a bunch of weirdo majors. I'm pretty sure that they are well known for their bio majors. Oh, and WHO SAID THAT IRVINE IS A GOOD COMPUTER SCHOOL?! Ionno...Irvine has a rep for being a party school. A ton of asians. If you are applyin from outta state, I suggest you go somewhere WORTHY. Check the schools to see what they are well known for. UC's in general are popular because they are solid in all of the majors they offer. Oh, by the way I plan on going to Cal Poly san luis obispo in their college of engineering.

Old Post 05-05-2002 04:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gaeko Click here to Send gaeko a Private Message Find more posts by gaeko Add gaeko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

yup davis is agricultural...the "cow skool" wow i didn't noe so many out-of-staters wanted to go to UC's. wutz so good about berkeley? lotza pplz from mai skool go there but i'm kinda scared...the competition is REALLY high there and the work is CRAZY. seriously sum pplz hu get in dun go czu they're worried they can't handle the work. UCLA is pretti much the same, but it has a nicer campus. mai cousin got into berkely but not la

Old Post 05-06-2002 02:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

hey, i didnt mean to give you the wrong impression YellowNerdz. :) Davis is a solid school from what i can tell although i don't know much about it. Its not just a cow school =)

Berkeley is da BEST!! Its possibly the best public university in the nation...according to that Top 50 Universities book that my bro had- he's goin to berkeley because he didn't get into harvard haha. He only applied to two schools, but already got early admission into UCB.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-06-2002 05:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sHyGrLy012

UCI is good for bio, 20% of the students are bio major. My friend told me that UCI is really good for comp. sci. too.
I don't really want to go to UCI that much though, i want to go to either UCSD or UCSB.

Old Post 05-09-2002 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sHyGrLy012 Click here to Send sHyGrLy012 a Private Message Visit sHyGrLy012's homepage! Find more posts by sHyGrLy012 Add sHyGrLy012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tenshi

i gather most of the people who've replied to this don't live in california, eh?

berkeley is one of the best schools in the nation. for sure it is the top-rated public university. which means it's extremely, incredibly hard to get in. i imagine it'd be harder for out of stater's, besides being more expensive. i have no personal aspirations of attending berkeley... for a number of reasons. besides the fact that my chances of being accepted are slim to none, it's too close to home for me, and it'd be like going to school with all the same people from high school.... but that's just me. it is without a doubt a competitive, presitigous school.
irvine is big in the sciences.. it's definitely not as good as berkeley. but if you're comparing it to all the uc's... it'd probably tie for 3rd with ucdavis (after berkeley and ucla). i think i talked about irvine in some other thread a while back.....
but don't blow off davis as just a 'farming school'. it's a respectable university. did you know davis has a medical school, as well as a law school?

ermmmm what else..

ucla is NOT much easier to get into than berkeley. it's the most applied-to college in the nation. in recent years it's become increasingly difficult to get in as the school itself has become more prominent.

also, the number of acceptances at ucla and ucberkeley dropped this year because of the sept 11 attacks. colleges are expecting more 'yes's from kids who want to stay closer to home... ..just another thought.

yellownerdz, what state are you from? sorry if you already mentioned it and i didn't catch it..... what other colleges did you get into back home? because uci and ucd are good schools, but i'm not sure how worth it is for you to trek all the way out here if you got into better schools back where you live.
and... even with a perfect gpa, it doesn't mean much if your sat's don't reflect the same strengths.... yanno? all schools have different grading policies, but even if the sat's have little validity as to how well they measure your intellectuality, they let colleges look at how you do in comparison with kids across the nation...

ummm sorry if i sound like some college expert know-it-all... i just happen to live in california.

This is me down on my knees
These foolish games are tearing me apart
And your thoughtless words are breaking my heart
Excuse me, think I've mistaken you for somebody else
Somebody who gave a damn
Somebody more like myself

Old Post 06-03-2002 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tenshi Click here to Send tenshi a Private Message Find more posts by tenshi Add tenshi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

my cuzin and his gf dat live in kali sed dat some colleges look at outter staters more dese dayz..cuz dey want diversity....^^ or sumthing like dat

Old Post 06-03-2002 02:00 AM
yellownerdz

I got into Univ of Colo at Boulder. I heard that school is not good. I'm guessing UCI is much better anyways.

Old Post 06-06-2002 12:48 AM
AggieDawg

I attend UCD, if you need help or have questions to ask, just ask me.
Note: UCD may be an Ag school, but there are some good majors like Bio Sci and Business. I think the Bio program is one of the best in the state from what i've heard. Better than UCI at least!

Old Post 06-07-2002 05:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AggieDawg Click here to Send AggieDawg a Private Message Find more posts by AggieDawg Add AggieDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AggieDawg

oh yea, if you the schools you want to go are UCLA or Cal, Davis can't really compared with either of those 2. Even though I got into both UCLA and Cal, the 2 schools I really liked were UCSD and Davis. However, since San Diego was too far away, I chose Davis in the long run......

SATs is such a bitch though! Don't know how I got into Cal with my crappy SATs :omg:

Old Post 06-07-2002 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AggieDawg Click here to Send AggieDawg a Private Message Find more posts by AggieDawg Add AggieDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

whoa hey Aggie, would you mind puttin up your Sat I/II scores?

Just want to know what range i should get so that i can get into cal

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 06-07-2002 06:23 AM
AggieDawg

umm, like I said, it's not too good, and it's from 1999/2000. Here it is anyways, hope it helps:

SATI
Verbal :580
Math : 720

SATII
Chinese : 800
Math IIC : 770
Writing : 550

Sometimes it's good to have extra corricular activities and good GPA

Old Post 06-07-2002 04:05 PM