Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Taxes to prisoners???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

Taxes to prisoners???

Did you know that people are paying taxes for those prisoners in jail? Did you know that the US jails don't even look like jails?

Prisons in the US today are among one of the wealthiest places. Prisoners are not being treated like prisoners. Prisoners can watch TV with cable, play games, sports, lift weights, and do some what of most things that they should not be able to do and tax payers are paying for all their goods.

Do beggars on the street get to do that? Beggars never did anything wrong and are living a life of hell. Shoot, they might as well be thrown in jail too.

I believe that prisoners should not be treated with such hopitality. They should pay for what they have done. Putting prisoners in jail where they can roam around and have fun is not right for a punishment for their wrong doing. If they are treated with such hospitality, won't they most likely do what they did wrong again?

I strongly believe that the tax payers should not be paying for such wealth in prisons. If the taxes are just to help pay for expenses and to keep the building up and going... sure. But I say, get rid of all the ridiculous junk, such as TV with cable, board games, wieghts, and all that other stuff.

What do you think?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2002 03:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero-Sen

Still, those prisoners do a lot of labor anyhows. They work to clean the highways in chain gangs. Probably other things too. Not just hanging out chilling. Prisons are necessary in a free democracy like the USA. Without em people would just be shot like in China or other Communist countries. I think the main reason people go to jail is cause of drugs. So get rid of the stuff and u have a cleaner society.

Old Post 05-05-2002 05:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zero-Sen Click here to Send Zero-Sen a Private Message Find more posts by Zero-Sen Add Zero-Sen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

But I'm talking TV's, games, all that other fun stuff that is not needed in a prison... I mean, come on... You buy stuff with your own money right? And you pay for the tax of the item that you bought right? Well, that's going to all the fun accessories in a prison. I would understand if it was to keep the building clean and going...

Old Post 05-05-2002 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero-Sen

Aren't prisoners human too? And what if a person was innocent? Another thing is it keeps the prisoners occupied.

Old Post 05-06-2002 04:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zero-Sen Click here to Send Zero-Sen a Private Message Find more posts by Zero-Sen Add Zero-Sen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Sen
Aren't prisoners human too? And what if a person was innocent? Another thing is it keeps the prisoners occupied.

Prisoners are people... but they shouldn't be given all the luxuries of life... Not all people that AREN'T in jail have things that prisoners get.... And usually, people don't get thrown in jail until they are proven guilty.

And keeping prisoners occupied? Let them do the eviromental cleaning like you said earlier in this thread. Not watch tv and play game. Like I said, not everyone that isn't in jail have all these luxuries.

Old Post 05-06-2002 08:43 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Yeah, i don't think they should have a whole lot of luxury in prison. I don't care that they don't look like prisons (cause those look horrid!), but it shouldn't be like a house arrest. Homeless people in the street are a good example, and tax dollars are wasted to comfort criminals, it's absurd.

An interesting perspective on the law, in Turkey if you are caught driving drunk you are executed. If you rape, commit homicide, molest and such they throw you in a secluded dark room with a rancid stench and a "slide-show" of the victims you killed and otehr victims and pictures of girls crying of how they were molested and videos of them grieving over it. The basic idea is that the perpetrator will begin to associate the horrid stench with the victims. And out of dread will begin to despise it, which in turn will deter them from doing it again. Sounds incredibly against Cruel and unusual punishment, but thats not the US and the stats show it works. They have a much lower crime rate than we do. We have the highest in the world.

Old Post 05-06-2002 09:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

Freedom........

Old Post 05-06-2002 12:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman

An interesting perspective on the law, in Turkey if you are caught driving drunk you are executed. If you rape, commit homicide, molest and such they throw you in a secluded dark room with a rancid stench and a "slide-show" of the victims you killed and otehr victims and pictures of girls crying of how they were molested and videos of them grieving over it. The basic idea is that the perpetrator will begin to associate the horrid stench with the victims. And out of dread will begin to despise it, which in turn will deter them from doing it again. Sounds incredibly against Cruel and unusual punishment, but thats not the US and the stats show it works. They have a much lower crime rate than we do. We have the highest in the world.

That is very horrid but it's true... It really works, and it scares people from doing wrong.... the US just doesn't punish the wrong doers enough... I mean, we don't have to show them those horrid tapes and stuff, but at least do something that will stop the criminals from doing it again.

Old Post 05-06-2002 02:05 PM
huby40
Squeak....

quote:
at least do something that will stop the criminals from doing it again.

do only way to do that is to kill them. All of them. Put them in a big room washed with napalm and throw in a lighted match. Oh sure, some might be sorry for what they've done. Sure some might be innocent. But we MUST make sure that they dont do it again....

Prisoners are given no freedom. We've all taken that for granted, don't lie. What is the point of having the "luxuries" of life if you can't be free?

speaking of luxuries: i've been to prison. They only have a few tv's available to prisoners. The activities they do is to keep them from losing their grip on what life is and starting a riot. If you punish them severely, the mind can only take so much before it goes insane. And since some of the people are already to close to that edge....

Hospitality? The entire world is fucked up and you think that it's better in prison? If the world decides to make things harder for the prisoners with punishment, the prisoners will hate them back. And they'll kill you and me while laughing.

Old Post 05-06-2002 02:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero-Sen

quote:
Yeah, i don't think they should have a whole lot of luxury in prison. I don't care that they don't look like prisons (cause those look horrid!), but it shouldn't be like a house arrest. Homeless people in the street are a good example, and tax dollars are wasted to comfort criminals, it's absurd.

go read a book called "clockwork orange" by anthony burgess.

If a person has no right to choose between right or wrong on his own then being right is meaningless.

As for "comforting" prisoners do you believe ALL prisons have TVs and n64s? I very much doubt it. I bet that the media just amplifies it to make a good story.

Old Post 05-06-2002 02:32 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:

go read a book called "clockwork orange" by anthony burgess.

If a person has no right to choose between right or wrong on his own then being right is meaningless.

As for "comforting" prisoners do you believe ALL prisons have TVs and n64s? I very much doubt it. I bet that the media just amplifies it to make a good story.

Yeah, i still have to read that book. Several people have recommended it to me. To clarify, i'm sure all prisons don't have n64s and tv's, it was just luxury i was replying to in general.

If you violate the rights of a citizen, your citizenship rights get taken away. Isn't that the basic idea of jail?

Old Post 05-06-2002 02:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero-Sen

quote:

Yeah, i still have to read that book. Several people have recommended it to me. To clarify, i'm sure all prisons don't have n64s and tv's, it was just luxury i was replying to in general.

If you violate the rights of a citizen, your citizenship rights get taken away. Isn't that the basic idea of jail?

the purpose prison is to teach offenders a lesson. Sure taking away their freedoms, and that teaches them a lesson. yeah, but the lesser offenders don't need a frigging closed cell with stench. Say you got arrested in a big bar brawl, you threw a punches but all in self defense. So then the government throws u in a locked room and shows you picture of murdered women and crying girls with a bad smell.

Old Post 05-06-2002 02:45 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

well, we could always stop the bombing in afganistan. Each bomb costs a couple thousand, and seriously...do we need to drop THAT many bombs? lets reduce the number from 300 to 150...we'll still kill alot of people, which is the original intent.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-06-2002 03:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

hey with respect to the topic, we had a little conversation about it in the Chat (sorry for the double post)

Racer Ladi Moon: ooh, debating about 'taxes for prisoners' is going pretty well
Racer Ladi Moon: you guys shoule state your opinions
huby40: i did
mfalcon42 has left the room.
Crazydeb8ter: ya know, Ladi moon, with regards to your "treat them harsher" statement
Crazydeb8ter: theres alot of people behind bars that are actually innocent
Racer Ladi Moon: really?
Crazydeb8ter: theres alot of studies out there that have proven so
Crazydeb8ter: yea
huby40: true
Racer Ladi Moon: but aren't they proven guilty before being thrown behind bars?
Crazydeb8ter: especially in death row
huby40: hahahh
huby40: just because the jury said they're guilty doesn't mean they're really guilty
Crazydeb8ter: word
Crazydeb8ter: man if our system is that perfect...
Crazydeb8ter: hahah
huby40: i mean if it was like a small town where it was an all white jury and a black defendant...
Racer Ladi Moon: but the thing is... they are "proven" guilty...
Racer Ladi Moon: with witnesses... etc...
huby40: do you REALLY think that OJ is innocent?
Racer Ladi Moon: no...
huby40: yet, what did the court say?
huby40: what did the jury say?
Crazydeb8ter: exactly, he was "proven" innocent
Racer Ladi Moon: I don't understand?
Crazydeb8ter: theres always some error to every system...
Beat Sakugarne has entered the room.
Beat Sakugarne: hey whats u?
Beat Sakugarne: ppl here
Racer Ladi Moon: hey beat!!!
Crazydeb8ter: sup beat
Beat Sakugarne: nm
Crazydeb8ter: who are you
Beat Sakugarne: i was just posting stuff
huby40: you don't know who is really guilty and who is really innocent
huby40: the guy/girl can lie under oath
Racer Ladi Moon: true...
huby40: the jury can make up their mind WITHOUT thinking about the evidence
Crazydeb8ter: thus, if you're gonna treat all the prisoners bad, you're gonna catch some innocents in there that really don't deserve to be treated so horribly
Beat Sakugarne: are you talking about the justice system?
huby40: ya
Racer Ladi Moon: it's not being treated horribly...
Beat Sakugarne: oh
huby40: but even for the prsioners who deserve to be there
Beat Sakugarne: do you want me to get other ppl from the forum in here or is ok right now?
Racer Ladi Moon: I just stated that maybe they shouldn't have all the luxuries that most people don't even have
jOoBabOyA: but..if the innocent was proven guilty..they had to be associated with some bad people..if dat means anything
huby40: i don't see what so luxuries about having no freedom
Crazydeb8ter: dude...have you ever heard of scapegoating?
Crazydeb8ter: framing?
Beat Sakugarne: yeah
Racer Ladi Moon: I didn't say anything about freedom
jOoBabOyA: yea..didnt think of dat..=T
Racer Ladi Moon: framing... does it really happen?
Beat Sakugarne: yeah
Beat Sakugarne: alot
jOoBabOyA: of course
Crazydeb8ter: so naive
Crazydeb8ter: so innocent
jOoBabOyA: heh..
jOoBabOyA: how old are u racer?
Racer Ladi Moon: Hmm, not where I live... I'm sorrie, I'm from a small town
Racer Ladi Moon: I'm 15
Crazydeb8ter: hahah its alright
Crazydeb8ter: im not blaming you for anything
huby40: i know you didn't say anything about freedom
huby40: but that's the biggest thing you lose when you go to prison
Racer Ladi Moon: I just simply stated that maybe our taxes that we are paying shouldnt go to games and fun for prisoners... but other things that will help
huby40: they're forced to do those things you kno
Racer Ladi Moon: play games?
huby40: they're on a time schedule
huby40: yeah
Racer Ladi Moon: I wouldn't know that
huby40: 8-10 is breakfast
huby40: 10-12 is outdoor
Beat Sakugarne: brb
huby40: etc etc
Crazydeb8ter: im sayin that the people behind bars shouldn't be treated like that- to take away simple pleasures that they should be enjoying that the wacked up justice system took away from them unjustly
Crazydeb8ter: err..innocent peopole
Crazydeb8ter: i mean
huby40: yeah, i'm talkin about the real guilty ones right now...
Crazydeb8ter: i kno
Racer Ladi Moon: ahuh
Racer Ladi Moon: well, I think that if they didn't do wrong in the first place, that wouldn't be taken away rite? (freedom)
Crazydeb8ter: and plus, lots of our tax money is going to a lot of crap bombing in afganistan
Beat Sakugarne: i think that if bin laden is alive he fled the country and is probably hiding somewhere else
Crazydeb8ter: duuuude...some discrepencies happen
huby40: whadya mean racer?
Crazydeb8ter: OUR SYSTEM IS NOT PERFECT
Crazydeb8ter: people who do not deserve to be in there are put in there because of mistakes, mistrials, bad juries, corruption, scandals etc.
Racer Ladi Moon: Huby... I mean that if they didn't do anything wrong in the first place, they wouldn't have been thrown in jail, and lose their freedom
Beat Sakugarne: but say someone stole something valuble, and was being chased so he planted it on someone else
Beat Sakugarne: it could happen
Crazydeb8ter: again, i'll have to ask you if you've ever heard of scapegoating
huby40: "Only in America can a WWF Wrestler become Governer of Minnesota" to crazy

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-06-2002 03:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:

the purpose prison is to teach offenders a lesson. Sure taking away their freedoms, and that teaches them a lesson. yeah, but the lesser offenders don't need a frigging closed cell with stench. Say you got arrested in a big bar brawl, you threw a punches but all in self defense. So then the government throws u in a locked room and shows you picture of murdered women and crying girls with a bad smell.

yeah, i agree with you.

Old Post 05-06-2002 04:04 PM
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

Our conversation made me look really dumb... I swear... haha

Old Post 05-09-2002 10:21 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

this is an article i found that relates to the convo i posted up eariler:

UNRELIABLE DNA TESTS CAN SEND INNOCENTS TO JAIL
A SPEAKER at the International Perspectives on Crime, Justice and Public Order Conference in Dublin Castle told delegates on June 17 that some types of DNA testing being presented in courtrooms were unreliable and could make innocent defendants appear guilty.

Professor Lawrence Kobilinsky of the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York said that some PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) testing methods could give juries the impression that a defendant was guilty when a more thorough test would show that they could not have committed the offence.

Professor Kobilinsky said the basic PCR method was able to identify six genes in a DNA sample. However the World Health Organisation had now stated that there were 16 indentifiable genes, divided into sub-groups of those six original genes. Kobilinsky said he was very concerned that in some cases juries were being told of a DNA "match" when, if a more sensitive DNA testing method was used, it could show that no match actually existed.

Results obtained by testing methods which could not make the distinction between the sub-groups of genes were being used "in courtrooms all over the world" as evidence of guilt, whereas more thorough testing would show the distinction and prove that the defendant was innocent.

Tom McEwan of the Institute for Law and Justice in the US told delegates that 28 prisoners had been freed from US jails after DNA evidence showed that they didn't commit the crimes of which they were convicted. McEwan was one of the authors of a report, "Convicted by Juries -- Exonerated by Science" for the US Department of Justice, which examined how those innocent people had come to be imprisoned.

The report reinforced the view that eyewitness evidence was often unreliable. Many of the cases also showed malpractice by the police or withholding of evidence from the defence, a common practice in the British police force which resulted in the frame-ups of the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four and Judith Ward among others.

credits to Irish Republican Information Service

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-09-2002 02:23 PM