Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > Asian Americans protest dog-eating racial jokes on top US TV talk show
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
UnisMuiMui
Fashion Police/Mod

Asian Americans protest dog-eating racial jokes on top US TV talk show

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Asian American groups asked sponsors of US television's Tonight Show to protest alleged "inflammatory" racial stereotypes that depict Koreans as dog eaters.

A coalition of Asian-American groups was poised send a letter to the nightly to sponsors of the nightly show hosted by comic Jay Leno (news - Y! TV), which is syndicated across the globe, asking them to take action.

The move to crack down on alleged slurs came after the show made a skit showing North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il apparently eating a dog on a broadcast on February 11.

"We are asking sponsors what they intend to do about this offensive racial characterisation and to pressure producers to stop peddling this misleading image of Koreans," said Peter Choe of the Korean American Coalition (KAC).

Letters were being sent to sponsors, including high-profile corporations such as Citibank, Daimler-Chrysler, Honda, MasterCard, Subway fast food restaurants and Japanese car maker Toyota, asking them to speak out.

The protest was mounted by the KAC , the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium and nine other groups after Leno allegedly refused to meet group representatives to discuss their concerns.

The NBC network's response to the groups' complaints was "inadequate" and disappointing, Choe said, adding that the executives appeared not to take their concerns seriously.

The Asian-American groups said NBC honcho Alan Wurtzel responded by saying the joke fell "well within the broad parameters of what The Tonight Show regularly does."

source: yahoo news

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2003 06:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for UnisMuiMui Click here to Send UnisMuiMui a Private Message Visit UnisMuiMui's homepage! Find more posts by UnisMuiMui Add UnisMuiMui to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spartan

You people can't take a fucking joke. I hate people like that. So sensitive and crap. SO WHAT? WE EAT DOGS. PROTESTING IT DOESN'T CHANGE IT. STEREOTYPING IS EVERYWHERE. ACCEPT IT. NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM IT. IT WILL EXIST AS LONG AS PEOPLE GROUP THEMSELVES.

Irish are drunks, italians are mobsters, indians run seven elevens, anyone form the south is a red neck inbred hick who goes on springer, chinese eat monkey brains and chicken feet, french people are cowards and smell and are hairy and... maybe that's enough.

Old Post 04-25-2003 05:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spartan Click here to Send Spartan a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan Add Spartan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Agreed. Let us not become like the victimization kiddies that are ever present in the African American community.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-25-2003 05:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

quote:
Agreed. Let us not become like the victimization kiddies that are ever present in the African American community.

Old Post 05-06-2003 05:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spuzzter Click here to Send Spuzzter a Private Message Find more posts by Spuzzter Add Spuzzter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Spuzzter

yes? you wish to comment?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-06-2003 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
.aS.|5p!7f!|23
foo oo o o o oo o oo o o

well thats kinda racist but i agree.

Old Post 05-06-2003 02:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Click here to Send .aS.|5p!7f!|23 a Private Message Find more posts by .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Add .aS.|5p!7f!|23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

quote:
yes? you wish to comment?

Oh yeah it just hit me when reading that post that the emoticon was appropriate. I'm not sure why. But now that you asked..

What do you mean exactly by victimization kiddies? Those that support affirmative action/reparations? I'd like a bit of clarification.

Old Post 05-08-2003 05:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spuzzter Click here to Send Spuzzter a Private Message Find more posts by Spuzzter Add Spuzzter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

Oh yes, and I ever so humbly beg to be worth your time.

Old Post 05-08-2003 05:30 AM
†ìÿgü

quote:
[i]goes on springer, chinese eat monkey brains and chicken feet, french people are cowards and smell and are hairy and... maybe that's enough.

[/B]

Lol I could'nt have put it any more eloquently than that!

Old Post 05-08-2003 09:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for †ìÿgü Click here to Send †ìÿgü a Private Message Visit †ìÿgü's homepage! Find more posts by †ìÿgü Add †ìÿgü to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Half

Yahoo News should consider improvements grammar wise.

Old Post 05-08-2003 11:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Half Click here to Send Half a Private Message Find more posts by Half Add Half to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by Spartan
You people can't take a fucking joke. I hate people like that. So sensitive and crap. SO WHAT? WE EAT DOGS. PROTESTING IT DOESN'T CHANGE IT. STEREOTYPING IS EVERYWHERE. ACCEPT IT. NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM IT. IT WILL EXIST AS LONG AS PEOPLE GROUP THEMSELVES.

Irish are drunks, italians are mobsters, indians run seven elevens, anyone form the south is a red neck inbred hick who goes on springer, chinese eat monkey brains and chicken feet, french people are cowards and smell and are hairy and... maybe that's enough.

actually, if you get it every day and people DO say it with offense, you'd protest too... trust me, it's not taken lightly when it's pointed at you... and you don't eat dogs... I've gotten that "joke" a lot of times and it's not very nice. I take it to heart too.

Old Post 05-10-2003 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spartan

I'm sure the tonight show meant it in a mean way.

Old Post 05-12-2003 03:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spartan Click here to Send Spartan a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan Add Spartan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
not ajy 2k

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay
actually, if you get it every day and people DO say it with offense, you'd protest too... trust me, it's not taken lightly when it's pointed at you... and you don't eat dogs... I've gotten that "joke" a lot of times and it's not very nice. I take it to heart too.

people come up to me every day and call me juice, and say juice is trippin on shrooms. i dont cry and sue them

Old Post 05-12-2003 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for not ajy 2k Click here to Send not ajy 2k a Private Message Find more posts by not ajy 2k Add not ajy 2k to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
princesszinza

quote:
Originally posted by not ajy 2k
people come up to me every day and call me juice, and say juice is trippin on shrooms. i dont cry and sue them

yeah, but that's totally different cuz they're saying that because you look and act a certain way. The dogeating thing is more offensive cuz it has nothing to do with the individual person. It's strictly racial. Btw what do you do that makes people call you juice and say your trippin.....you must look pretty spaced sometimes

Old Post 05-12-2003 04:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for princesszinza Click here to Send princesszinza a Private Message Find more posts by princesszinza Add princesszinza to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by not ajy 2k

well good for you... some people would rather act upon it so it doesn't happen again then sit back and let it happen.

Old Post 05-12-2003 08:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

ignorance like that might lead to more ignorance if it hasn't already. for example someone might think all middle eastern countries are iraqi or all koreans are north korean communists.

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 05-12-2003 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
not ajy 2k

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay
well good for you... some people would rather act upon it so it doesn't happen again then sit back and let it happen.

i dont know what you're trying to get at, i'm not a pacifist. When something bothers me, or someone comes up to me and calls me something that i resent, i tell them. I dont bitch out and let it happen over and over again. So you cant stand there, feel sorry for your self and blame it on "America's Culture". Your just scapegoating something because all of them can not stand up for themselves. Christ, what the fuck happened to people having balls.

Old Post 05-12-2003 10:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for not ajy 2k Click here to Send not ajy 2k a Private Message Find more posts by not ajy 2k Add not ajy 2k to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
princesszinza

quote:
Christ, what the fuck happened to people having balls.

I agree with you there. I hate when people decide they're victims and whine and don't stand up and complain. But in your situation it sounds more like friendly teasing than anything malicious. In the dogeating situation I still maintain that's worse cuz it's a really stupid racial stereotype. In your case I think maybe you shouldn't come to school looking so faded

Old Post 05-12-2003 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for princesszinza Click here to Send princesszinza a Private Message Find more posts by princesszinza Add princesszinza to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by princesszinza
yeah, but that's totally different cuz they're saying that because you look and act a certain way. The dogeating thing is more offensive cuz it has nothing to do with the individual person. It's strictly racial. Btw what do you do that makes people call you juice and say your trippin.....you must look pretty spaced sometimes

Bullshit, does it show everybody eating dogs or just one person? Also they could argue that the North Korean leader must look as if he eats dogs.

quote:
Originally posted by princesszinza
I agree with you there. I hate when people decide they're victims and whine and don't stand up and complain. But in your situation it sounds more like friendly teasing than anything malicious. In the dogeating situation I still maintain that's worse cuz it's a really stupid racial stereotype. In your case I think maybe you shouldn't come to school looking so faded

Hold on there, couldn't someone just say "Maybe you should stop eating dogs"?

Last edited by Alchemist on 05-24-2003 at 10:54 PM

Old Post 05-24-2003 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OneWeCallOMEGA

You can't change the past. These stereotypes are all based on past events and will never dissapear. As long as there is difference between people, there will be suffering. But, suffering builds endurance to take on the more harder to live with things in life anyway, you can never grow stronger if you hide in a box and never suffer and learn to deal with it. So it's not all bad. However, just look at Columbine... Those kids drowned in the suffering and just couldn't take it anymore. If it's really bothering you, do something. It's not, let it blow off and get on with your life.

Old Post 06-14-2003 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for OneWeCallOMEGA Click here to Send OneWeCallOMEGA a Private Message Find more posts by OneWeCallOMEGA Add OneWeCallOMEGA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote