Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > virus
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
coolant

virus

got a little problem. i think my hard drive contracted a boot sector virus. i know the best way to solve this problem is an antivirus software so i bought one( McAfee-VirusScan ). The problem is that whenever i try to install it something happens before i can run it. Some things that have had happened are errors, the comp restarts etc. some help or advice. thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-22-2003 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for coolant Click here to Send coolant a Private Message Find more posts by coolant Add coolant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

you need to install mcafee on a non-infected computer and create a bootable resue disk. or if the cd (that contains mcafee) is bootable, insert the cd and restart, most computer have it to boot the cdrom before harddrive and the antivirus will automatically scan for viruses, if not, you will need to enter bios and manually configure it to do so. if thats the case, let me know, ill provide more detailed instructions on how to do so.

hope this helped, and good luck.

Old Post 12-22-2003 05:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coolant

thanks for the reply jusunlee,

i used the McAfee installation disk to scan my computer when i turned it on. it scanned and said "unable to read boot sector". after it scanned my whole computer it hanged. im not so much very familiar with bios so im a little reclutant about changing any settings but you sound like you know what your doing and im willing to try any solution. i dont really know what to do now, so if you could help me i would really appreciate it. thanks again!

my OS is winxp home edition.

Old Post 12-29-2003 01:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for coolant Click here to Send coolant a Private Message Find more posts by coolant Add coolant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

if you don't have luck installing a virus scan, i guess you can try housecall.trendmicro.com . free online virus scan

Old Post 12-29-2003 03:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/...e&venid=sym

use that. it'll scan your system and tell of any infected files and type of virus.

when you know the type just put the name in google and you'll prolly come up with a result from symantec that will tell you how to remove it.

Shift_

"cuz no matter how long U've known them or how well U think U know them..the friendship can be over in a second" ~Indecisive

"you don't realize how much of a luxury cup holders are until you don't have em" ~Indecisive

Old Post 12-29-2003 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for indecisive Click here to Send indecisive a Private Message Find more posts by indecisive Add indecisive to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coolant

thanks for the replies.

i have tried both online virus scans and nothing was detected. nothing in my memory also. the same symptoms are still present. i cannot install any programs without having a blue screen popup, an error during an installation, or a system file being corrupt that forces me to format the drive and install windows again. also another note: during a windows installation and when files are being copied, some system files are not able to be copied. i hope there is something i can do about this. a friend told me that if you format your drive and the problem is still there that you might as well just buy a new computer bc it is in the memory.

jusunlee, hopefully your method can get rid of this. thanks!

Old Post 01-03-2004 06:27 AM
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
Originally posted by coolant
i hope there is something i can do about this. a friend told me that if you format your drive and the problem is still there that you might as well just buy a new computer bc it is in the memory.

i don't get it, the only way that's possible is if it was installed on the motherboard's rom right? and i think that's kinda hard to do...

Old Post 01-04-2004 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

quote:
Originally posted by coolant
thanks for the replies.

i have tried both online virus scans and nothing was detected. nothing in my memory also. the same symptoms are still present. i cannot install any programs without having a blue screen popup, an error during an installation, or a system file being corrupt that forces me to format the drive and install windows again. also another note: during a windows installation and when files are being copied, some system files are not able to be copied. i hope there is something i can do about this. a friend told me that if you format your drive and the problem is still there that you might as well just buy a new computer bc it is in the memory.

jusunlee, hopefully your method can get rid of this. thanks!

yeah, i know what u mean... while installing windows, you get this error. like a file cannot be copied cause some existant file on ur hd cannot be replaced? or something like that. full format wont work, not even the debug stuff included on the dos boot disk. new hardrive and memory might be ur solution =/
and i doubt ull be able to get all your files back...

Old Post 01-05-2004 03:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YaaMaKoh Click here to Send YaaMaKoh a Private Message Visit YaaMaKoh's homepage! Find more posts by YaaMaKoh Add YaaMaKoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coolant

screw my files, right now i wanna know what exactly the problem is and if that will get rid of my problem. i think i'd kill myself if i did replace my memory and my hd and still that shit be there.

Old Post 01-05-2004 05:17 PM
kryogenix
Ghost

if it's on the motherboard, maybe you can take out the CMOS battery for a few hours and then reset the bios settings i guess

Old Post 01-05-2004 09:59 PM
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

ur computer from a company?
usually dell has that technical support crap, although their phone helpers are the biggggest idiots.
me: "windows wont install correctly, i get an error, even with ntfs and fat32 format"
dell: "ok... press enter when you hit unpartioned disk space..."
me: "did you not JUST hear me"
dell: "oh... lets debug"
me: "i already did"
dell: "its the cd, well replace it for you in three days using express packaging system!"
me: "no its not, windows 2000, xp home and pro, 98, all get the same error.. what part of files cannot be copied unto harddrive because the file can not be replaced do yo not understand? my harddrives messed up, send a new one"
dell: wait wait.. can you say that again? let me find it in the computer solution manual
me: "just send a damn technician over"
dell: "nono, lets try this"
me: "..."

2 hours pass by following their idiotic directions

dell: "technican will come in three days"

yeah... if you have a company that made ur computer.. u might have to go through the crap i went through... its not pleasant talking with an indian woman with a hard to understand english accent =/

Old Post 01-06-2004 04:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YaaMaKoh Click here to Send YaaMaKoh a Private Message Visit YaaMaKoh's homepage! Find more posts by YaaMaKoh Add YaaMaKoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

lol they enjoy hiring foreigners.

I had to talk to some chinese woman who spoke worse english than a second grader. Worst phone support ever.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 01-07-2004 05:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

lol, exactly
indian women.. oh my gooooodness.... their accent is very hard to comprehend =/
everytime i called i thought it was the same woman, lol
and one time i got this white dude... damn... made my life a hella lot easier

Old Post 01-07-2004 11:48 AM