Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Literature > Native Speaker...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

Native Speaker...

haha... this book actually made it on my school's optional reading list... i was sooooo surprised... YAY FOR ASIAN WRITERS!!! puahaha... finally being recongnized...

oh yah... GO GET THE BOOK... its dang good... a lil info... written by Chang Rae Lee, based on a guy name Henry... park? i ferget... but hes a spy for hire, usually in buisness and political spying, he is hired to do a job on a political figure in new york name john kwang... there he delves into the heart break of his innerself and the corruption of the political force behind john kwang...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-05-2002 04:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

Before we say "yay for asian writers" I have three words for you:
Joy Luck Club.
I rest my case.

Old Post 12-06-2002 02:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

quote:
Originally posted by requiem
Joy Luck Club.
I rest my case.

yes true, but its been long since another asian writer made it big, it makes me feel like i have a chance at writing something worthy of praise...

Old Post 12-06-2002 07:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KrNjJaNgGoO777

well i've read both and they're both good but i liked Joy Luck Club better. Amy Tan just has this writing style tha's just so expressive, poetic, and easy to picture. Chang Rae Lee's writing is also poetic but sometimes confusing. BUt his power to express himself through character thoughts really makes ya think. "A Gesture Life" is also by Chang Rae Lee. I liked it better than "Native Speaker"

Old Post 02-07-2003 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KrNjJaNgGoO777 Click here to Send KrNjJaNgGoO777 a Private Message Find more posts by KrNjJaNgGoO777 Add KrNjJaNgGoO777 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merc

I think Joy Luck Club isn't a bad book. Enjoyable? no. Important? yes.

"Truth is not determined by how many people believe it."

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Old Post 02-18-2003 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merc Click here to Send merc a Private Message Find more posts by merc Add merc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by requiem
Joy Luck Club.
I rest my case.

i would disagree.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 02-22-2003 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
i would disagree.

I would not be surprised.

Edit: It is not my intention to say that Amy Tan is a terrible writer. While her writing style does not appeal to me, nor the subjects in her novels, she is not a terrible writer. Personally I did not like the one novel from her that I have read, and while some may consider that a small piece of her writing, it is one of her most highly lauded novels. If everyone else says it is amazing, and when I read it I do not enjoy it, I, perhaps mistakenedly, don't like Amy Tan and her writing.

Last edited by requiem on 02-22-2003 at 04:24 PM

Old Post 02-22-2003 04:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

i saw the joy luck club movie, or something like that

that was messed up when the mother drowned the baby when she was in china

Old Post 02-24-2003 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KrNjJaNgGoO777

quote:
Originally posted by AjY 2k
i saw the joy luck club movie, or something like that

that was messed up when the mother drowned the baby when she was in china

its different in the book. the book's kinda gross cuz as opposed to drowning it in the movie, she aborts it herself. its pretty gruesome.

Old Post 03-08-2003 05:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KrNjJaNgGoO777 Click here to Send KrNjJaNgGoO777 a Private Message Find more posts by KrNjJaNgGoO777 Add KrNjJaNgGoO777 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote