Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Experience > has anybody lived outside the U.S.A.?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
annabanana
Food Moderator

has anybody lived outside the U.S.A.?

what is it like to live in a different country outside the United States? what is a typical day like? how is the economy different there than it is here? or has anybody traveled outside America?

Last edited by annabanana on 04-23-2002 at 10:31 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-23-2002 08:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for annabanana Click here to Send annabanana a Private Message Find more posts by annabanana Add annabanana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

uh huh.
was born in korea. lived there for 2 years.
then moved to the phillipines where i lived for 6 years.
then new york for 2 years.
and then taiwan for 4 years.
and back to new york. this is my third year here.

korea is just like new york. temperate zone. 4 seasons.
phillipines is in the tropical zone. its hot and humid. rainy seasons are the winter. and rains almost everyday.
new york is new york.
taiwan is more north than phillipines. still hot. but drier. and winter gets icy cold. but no snow. just cold rain.
and new york is new york.

...and im moving this to experience forum

Old Post 04-23-2002 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

yea, i lived in HK until i wuz 4 or 5. I think its more exciting than here because there are basiclly no suburbs at all, and everyone lives in the city. Hmm...ReAH lives in Hong Kong righ now so she can give ya more up to date info

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-23-2002 12:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
panda boi
im a boy

i lived in HK for 2 years and a city in china called shenzhen for 2 years
apartments are small compared to the houses in US
lots of hangouts in hong kong
a lot more things to do then just sit on your ass in front of the computer all day -.-;;
and both cities are still active in like 1am at night

credits to sHiNHaWk

Old Post 04-23-2002 02:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for panda boi Click here to Send panda boi a Private Message Find more posts by panda boi Add panda boi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

haha i was born in Korea
then came to America for 4 years..
and then went back to 4 years..
and then im here..
haha all of the adults ask me if i lyke Korea or America better but i lyke both.. haha when im in Korea i wanna go go America but when im in America i wanna go to Korea

Old Post 04-23-2002 03:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

was born in korea

Last edited by seung ju on 06-17-2004 at 05:45 AM

Old Post 04-25-2002 12:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnisMuiMui
Fashion Police/Mod

Re: has anybody lived outside the U.S.A.?

quote:
Originally posted by annabanana
what is it like to live in a different country outside the United States? what is a typical day like? how is the economy different there than it is here? or has anybody traveled outside America?

i was born in Singapore...
moved to California when i was 4.. lived there for about 2 years...
then moved back to Singapore... then moved back to Cali when i was around 7 yrs old...
then when i was 10 i moved to Connecticut.. and i'm still in Connecticut today :D

i love Singapore!! very modern even tho its small and strict. but LOTS of shopping!!! ^_^ my fave!! hehehe. good food too! yum! =Þ s'pore is very city-like.. its also hot and humid! =T
California...... i love dat place! great weather - hot, sunny, but breezy!!! not at all humid, unlike s'pore. alot of azn ppl... and esp alot of chinese ppl where i lived. i lived in Pasadena and Arcadia when i was in cali. Arcadia is full of chinese ppl!! lolz.
Connecticut.... when i first moved here i was madd bored. nutin to do here. all white ppl and no good azn food =( but more and more azn movin here. majority of azn ppl here is viet. hehe. my boyfriend is viet.. i wonder y... lolz nah got nutin to do wit dat. CT is boring... but its not dat bad cuz its near NYC and Boston. only a few hours drive =)

Old Post 04-25-2002 12:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for UnisMuiMui Click here to Send UnisMuiMui a Private Message Visit UnisMuiMui's homepage! Find more posts by UnisMuiMui Add UnisMuiMui to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

I lived in India as a very small child, and I've spent summers there, but now I live in Michigan.

India is very different from America, some places are really dirty, but even still, I think America is still overall cleaner, I haven't been all around, but I still think I can say that.

I still like India a lot, it is full of culture, the scenery is some of the most beautiful in the world, the natural areas are mostly very clean, and there's so much to do and see.

Old Post 04-25-2002 04:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

quote:
Originally posted by jusunlee
uh huh.

phillipines is in the tropical zone. its hot and humid. rainy seasons are the winter. and rains almost everyday.
new york is new york.
taiwan is more north than phillipines. still hot. but drier. and winter gets icy cold. but no snow. just cold rain.

when i was in phillipines, my dad used to work with the aborigines living up in a remote mountain. and it was a cool experience. seeing people live a backward life.. something equivalent to the stone age. no clothes. very little tools. and even the most harmless diseases of today would mean death to them. like malaria. anyways, since my mom was a nurse, she helped the sick people while my dad converted those people into Christianity. well.. then, mt. pinatubo erupted.. which was the mountain where these people lived. and um.. mt pinatubo was one of the most devastating volcano eruption in this century. well. that day. around noon, it became pitch black. blacker than black outside, since the ashes covered the sky.. even when our family was living some distance away from the volcano. it began to rain ash and part of my houses roof fell in, prompting us to evacuate to manila, the capital. earthquakes measuring 7 where common and the roads were unwelcoming.. but at around 5pm, pitch black in the day, we decided to go for it.. and since we had a 4x drive jeep, it was all cool. saved a us army personell during the way, ashing being literally dumped from the sky, along with rocks.. i was 10 back then. so to me it was all a fun experience. but i can see how apprehensive my parents got..

but before the volcano erupted, we kinda knew that it was going to blow some day and my parents convinced most of the aborigines to move down to a nearby village, where they would be safe temporarily. well, some of the richer people decided agaisnt the idea, living in the mountains for generations past. these people were the ones with a pig or two, and it you were really rich, a nice cattle for milk. reassured my parents they woudl be fine.. saying they would move to a nearby cave if evacuation was needed.

..well, after several months, things settled down a bit. whole villages got wiped out from all the mud that came down after the eruptions.. going as a high as to the top of a catholic cathederal. babies were dying from inhaling the ash.. then my dad went back up to the mountain to check up on the people who refused to evacuate and lo, they were all smothered in the cave. not smothered with flesh intact. but burnt crisp to the ash. all captured in pictures. that was my experience in philipines.

then i moved to america, where i lived a pretty normal life. yes. america is one hella boring country.

moving to taiwan.. accidently ate some frog legs the day i arrived.. tasted like chicken though, and was good until i figured out that it was frog legs. i went to a small missionary school of around 250 kids, from k-9th grade. small and friendly, it became almost like a second home to me. we had around 25 kids in one grade, everyone in school new everyone else.. even to the little kindergardeners. life was good. maybe too good. had school sleepovers with classmates, where we held a starcraft tourny, played sardines, and water fight. truely an experience taht im sure americans wouldnt know about. girls were pretty. especially since they were all asian, mostly being chinese. had school competition with other foreign schools in taiwan, and going 'across the country' (not literally), competiting with these schools in sports. being on the best volleyball team winning 8 straight years. had field days every year... a school activity where the students in our school competed with each other in track, belonging to a team. buses. taxis. busy city. busy people. it was a fun life.

then i came back to america. living here even still. wasting away in life.. and learing the american ways. life was fun in retrospect.

Old Post 04-25-2002 04:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

I was born in the Bronx. Then when I was 6 yrs. old I moved to the suburbs. uh, I went to the Phillipines a couple of times, and i worked in a store for 1 day, but i didn't really live there.

Old Post 04-25-2002 06:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

I was born in Malaysia and after I was born I moved to Australia. I lived there most of my life. I lived in north america (usa&vancouver) for like 2 or 3 months and moved back to Sydney. I'm not living in the states again haha. Been here for about a month now. I miss Sydney alot.

Old Post 04-25-2002 09:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lovedontloveme Click here to Send lovedontloveme a Private Message Visit lovedontloveme's homepage! Find more posts by lovedontloveme Add lovedontloveme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
luluvang

Nope not me...but i would love to go to south korea!!!!!

Old Post 04-29-2002 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for luluvang Click here to Send luluvang a Private Message Find more posts by luluvang Add luluvang to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
annabanana
Food Moderator

wow.... you guys are so kewl!

Old Post 05-01-2002 04:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for annabanana Click here to Send annabanana a Private Message Find more posts by annabanana Add annabanana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

I lived in france for half a month with a family. I was an exchange student.

In France their biggest meal of the day is lunch. Whenever they have lunch they leave for school for about 2 hours. They have fast food restraunts and things like that, but usually they eat at home. all business close at lunch.

What i really liked about it was that the city was a mix of the modern technology and the old architecture. I stayed in the city of Leon with the family. There was an event where a large outdoor market opened. A long line of outdoored stalls set up and opened there. I walked through it and got some stuff, chicken, clothes, things like that.

The real cars that they drive in france look like shit though. gas is really expensive so they don't want some SUV or some ferrari. They either walk, take the bus, bike ride, or they get really small cars that get high miles to the gallon. Some of those cars are like half the size of the ones we have here. they're funni

Old Post 05-02-2002 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daydreamer

Wow practically everyone here is from the US. I'm from Vancouver. It's not that much different from the US.

Old Post 05-26-2002 06:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Daydreamer Click here to Send Daydreamer a Private Message Visit Daydreamer's homepage! Find more posts by Daydreamer Add Daydreamer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i like vancouver..that place is tite..

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-26-2002 08:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JungJInHo

I was born in Calgary, moved to Edmonton, then to New York....but Id rather be in Korea

Old Post 05-27-2002 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JungJInHo Click here to Send JungJInHo a Private Message Find more posts by JungJInHo Add JungJInHo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LuvSunghoonie
KangSunghoonie

Re: has anybody lived outside the U.S.A.?

quote:
[i]uh huh.

new york is new york.

Oh wow, u been to Taiwan too, thats soo koo~!
Well for me.. I lived in Taiwan for 6 years, the moved to America
and been here ever since..but i go back to Taiwan evey summer so it's like i still live there..

So Jusunlee.. R you Korean? Or American?.. hm since u traveled soo many places.. wha languages do you speak..

it sounds so koo to have taveled and lived in so many places.. e'pecially Taiwan and Korea.. i wish i was able to go live in KOrea for a coupla weeks.. even days ~!..

Old Post 05-27-2002 09:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LuvSunghoonie Click here to Send LuvSunghoonie a Private Message Visit LuvSunghoonie's homepage! Find more posts by LuvSunghoonie Add LuvSunghoonie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daydreamer

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

How long did you stay there for?

Old Post 05-28-2002 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Daydreamer Click here to Send Daydreamer a Private Message Visit Daydreamer's homepage! Find more posts by Daydreamer Add Daydreamer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
storm

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

oh yeah! I'm a Vancouverite :) I love vancouver...I'm still gonna call it my hometown even though I was born in HK and live there now...I was in vancouver for nine years, I think. CANADA RULZ!!~

Old Post 06-06-2002 01:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for storm Click here to Send storm a Private Message Find more posts by storm Add storm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote