Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
indecisive
the Deranged one

Gran Turismo 4 Prologue

Summary

Okay boys and girls, I got my copy of GT4: Prologue on Friday(for free..heh) and I’ve been playing it all weekend. This game is AWESOME!!!!.

For those of you that don’t know, GT4: Prologue was a preview of GT4 that was released. It contains quite a few cars and some tracks, Tsukuba Circuit, New York, Citti Di Aria(road rally course). A few of the cars included in the game are NSX type S Zero, RX-8, Nismo Z-tuned Z33, Datsun 240Z, and Skyline Coupe(G35 coupe) just to name a few.

The game consists of an Arcade mode which has those tracks and only a few cars. There is also a “school mode” and each lesson you complete you will gain a new car. At first they’re the crappy cars like the vits and beat and stuff…but as you go on you get the cooler cars. I will go into more detail so read on.

Visual:

As we all suspected, the graphics are amazing. The backgrounds in the courses are insane. The two city courses, New York and Citti Di Aria get my vote for the best ones. The cars look AMAZING. You’ve all seen the pictures online…they look that good all the time…it’s great. Although there are characters on the sidelines now…it’s really sad to see that they’re only flat images. I would’ve really loved to see full 3d crowds or at least crowds that focused on the cars. Although they move and wave and take pictures…they’re always looking in the same spot. If they turned around and followed where your car was then it would be a LOT better.

Audio:

For some reason there’s no music when you’re racing, but in the replays there is music..*shrugs*. But the songs that I did hear in the replays are really good. Unlike the stuff in GT3, this is decent racing music. As usual the car sounds are great and realistic.

Gameplay:

The game play is good but there is a learning curve. They changed up the physics in the game a bit and it’s harder to turn. They really make you slow down a lot and use throttle manipulation to take corners well. There are three views to drive in: Driver, Chase and Chase 2. Chase 2 is a cross between birds eye view and the typical chase view. It’s fairly high up and far back which is alright, BUT the car handles very differently in that view for some reason. It feels very unrealistic.

Arcade Mode:

The Arcade mode is alright. You only get five tracks to race on and originally like 10 stock cars to use. And the AI is pretty weak…even on “professional” they’re pretty easy to beat. The good thing is you can turn off TCS and you drift happy boys can drift to your heart’s content…if you can do it that is. You can also choose your tire type(I’m guessing its tire type selection cause there’s 4 of them….1 is always greyed out unless on a rally track and the other 3 are greyed out for rally cars…but I’m not 100% sure cause it’s all in japanese). Something very interesting in the game is penalties. If in a race you go overspeed and smash head first into a wall or rear end somebody really hard…you’ll get a penalty. You slow down to 50/51km/h and you have to stay that way for 10 seconds before you can pick up speed. This was interesting and unexpected. I would have loved to see more of the tracks though, not necessarily the new ones either. The classics like Grand Valley or High Speed Ring or Seattle would’ve been nice.

School Mode:

This is basically the license tests. The first licenses(which are divided up into colour) are pretty easy. It doesn’t really get hard until the last set..Purple. Before I get to that…something I found really cool was that instead of reading what you have to do. There’s a Japanese chick with a cute voice telling you what to do and while she’s talking, they show a demo of what to do and you can view that demo from different angles like a normal replay. Anyways, like I said, it’s all pretty easy shit until the last stuff. Even you hardcore GT fans will find this difficult. Basically the last set, instead of taking on a lap as quick as you can….you’re given a opponent car that you must pass within a certain amount of distance or laps. They’ve given a LOT of leeway on the “out of course”…you can literally have ONE wheel on the guard and still be safe…and in certain sections your whole car on the dirt. That comes in handy a LOT. The hard thing about these last tests is that if you touch the car in front…you fail. If you’re ahead of the AI car and the AI car hits you then you’re fine…BUT if you’re trying to pass and you hit them or THEY HIT YOU, it’s an automatic fail. This wouldn’t be so bad if the AI cars were afraid to crash into you. But in the school mode…they’ll follow their pre-programmed lines to the freaking millimeter. So if you’re taking a shallow line and the AI car is on the outside, if he’s programmed to take the inside he’ll come smashing into you making you fail if you’re not at least half a car ahead of him. Another hard thing is that for a few of them the other car is given quite a big lead which you are to cut down on before a certain amount of laps. This is really hard because if you go too slow you’ll never pass the guy and never pass the test. These tests are so incredibly hard, BUT you really learn how to drive properly with the new physics. It’s very good training and although I hate it…I love the idea of this level of training.

Rating:
.::Visual: 9/10
.::Audio: 8/10
.::Gameplay: 9/10
.::Arcade Mode: 9/10
.::School Mode: 10/10

Total: 90/100

Shift_

"cuz no matter how long U've known them or how well U think U know them..the friendship can be over in a second" ~Indecisive

"you don't realize how much of a luxury cup holders are until you don't have em" ~Indecisive

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2004 06:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for indecisive Click here to Send indecisive a Private Message Find more posts by indecisive Add indecisive to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronnn
Suby!

I WANT IT NOW!!!
im getting tired of GT3. ive been playing that since the first day it came out.. hahaha, i got all licenses, all cars, all the money in the world. i fixed up every single car, played with the tuning for each, and every car has about 50+ miles on it. yeah.. i only play racing games.

midnight club2 got old fast, need for speed: underground didnt last me too long, tokyo extreme racer 3 didnt do it for me either.. i just came back to GT3.. haha

Old Post 04-20-2004 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronnn Click here to Send aaronnn a Private Message Find more posts by aaronnn Add aaronnn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Azn2296

where did u get the cd from.. i want it..

My Xanga

Old Post 04-20-2004 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Azn2296 Click here to Send Azn2296 a Private Message Visit Azn2296's homepage! Find more posts by Azn2296 Add Azn2296 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

lol if you can download it and play it then do it.

if you have to buy it..don't waste your $$. wait for GT4 to come out.

just giving everybody a heads up on what GT4 will be like.

as for where I got it...my sister's bf's brother modifies PS2s and xboxes and gets games and stuff. he knows I love GT and got me a copy. I don't know where he found the download tho.

Shift_

"cuz no matter how long U've known them or how well U think U know them..the friendship can be over in a second" ~Indecisive

"you don't realize how much of a luxury cup holders are until you don't have em" ~Indecisive

Old Post 04-20-2004 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for indecisive Click here to Send indecisive a Private Message Find more posts by indecisive Add indecisive to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronnn
Suby!

quote:
Originally posted by indecisive
lol if you can download it and play it then do it.

dload it where???

Old Post 04-21-2004 02:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronnn Click here to Send aaronnn a Private Message Find more posts by aaronnn Add aaronnn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

*shrugs*..IRC?

Shift_

Old Post 04-21-2004 04:26 AM
dcoolx84

Huh?

I thought that was for PS2 Only...

Oh, well...

It looked good, but then I'm downloading somethin

else right nowT.T

Old Post 04-26-2004 01:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dcoolx84 Click here to Send dcoolx84 a Private Message Find more posts by dcoolx84 Add dcoolx84 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

it IS for ps2 only.

you can get an Image of it and burn it onto a dvd-r

Shift_

Old Post 04-28-2004 11:32 PM