Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > MySQL license review
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kiggaplease

MySQL license review

MySQL AB offers either a paid commercial license or an open source license, so the only way not to pay for one for a closed-source, proprietary application is if it's not a derivative application (although the company claims that the necessity for the installation of the MySQL server constitutes a derivative application).

MySQL is undergoing an open review of its licensing policy, could affect proprietary software like vBulletin and whatnot. In fact, it could upset a whole lot of commerce done on the Internet that takes MySQL databases for granted.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2004 11:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kiggaplease Click here to Send kiggaplease a Private Message Find more posts by kiggaplease Add kiggaplease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

not good. i think i might take a mySQL class or maybe i should just buy a book

Old Post 01-16-2004 12:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

i think im going to post a sql hacking tutorial

that used to be my thing

Old Post 01-16-2004 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

Re: MySQL license review

quote:
Originally posted by acidbreeze
MySQL AB offers either a paid commercial license or an open source license, so the only way not to pay for one for a closed-source, proprietary application is if it's not a derivative application (although the company claims that the necessity for the installation of the MySQL server constitutes a derivative application).

MySQL is undergoing an open review of its licensing policy, could affect proprietary software like vBulletin and whatnot. In fact, it could upset a whole lot of commerce done on the Internet that takes MySQL databases for granted.

For one thing, the upcoming version of php won't come bundled with mysql libraries anymore because of licensing issues. So I doubt mysql will be as popular in the future as it is today. The main reason of its popularity today is because of php - but then again, same goes for php. That's why theyre opting for an alternative - sqlite (its opensource) for version5.

Old Post 01-16-2004 06:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

quote:
Originally posted by ajy
i think im going to post a sql hacking tutorial

that used to be my thing

Go shove a banana up yours and stop pretending you know something you obviously have no clue about.

Old Post 01-16-2004 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiggaplease

looks like they finally came up with an exception for PHP, which should ameliorate the bundled library issue. Then again, enabling libmysql to work with PHP is almost as simple as installing PHP itself

Old Post 01-16-2004 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kiggaplease Click here to Send kiggaplease a Private Message Find more posts by kiggaplease Add kiggaplease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

quote:
Originally posted by jusunlee
Go shove a banana up yours and stop pretending you know something you obviously have no clue about.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Old Post 01-17-2004 02:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote