Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > Homework Help > calc
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AiSH
o wha

calc

help!

if g(t) = csc 2t, find g''' (-pi/8)

and can tell me wha you get for each?
g'
g''
g'''

thx! whoever can do it..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-30-2002 03:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AiSH Click here to Send AiSH a Private Message Find more posts by AiSH Add AiSH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
annabanana
Food Moderator

hmmm, derivatives..... let's see.... deng, you are screwed. i got out of calculus a long time ago. i just took it for one semester, and that was too much even though i ended up failing the class and now i have to take two math classes like math models and algebra III to make up for the dmn credit.

Old Post 05-01-2002 04:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for annabanana Click here to Send annabanana a Private Message Find more posts by annabanana Add annabanana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i hate derivitives

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-01-2002 06:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AiSH
o wha

nvm. too late now. thx neway.

Old Post 05-01-2002 07:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AiSH Click here to Send AiSH a Private Message Find more posts by AiSH Add AiSH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Babu2002

Lightbulb Answer in Calc.

Math is so gay... datz why I chose pink. Neway, all you have to do is get the answer to the first problem, rite? Then, repeat the problem ON to the first answer to the first problem,~~ and so forth and so forth. That's why they call them derivatives of the last "derivative".

Old Post 05-02-2002 07:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Babu2002 Click here to Send Babu2002 a Private Message Find more posts by Babu2002 Add Babu2002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Re: Answer in Calc.

quote:
Originally posted by Babu2002
Math is so gay...

i don't think that math has a sexuality

Old Post 05-02-2002 12:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Babu2002

True dat! haha... How's Red for a color instead, then???

Old Post 05-03-2002 05:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Babu2002 Click here to Send Babu2002 a Private Message Find more posts by Babu2002 Add Babu2002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Re: Answer in Calc.

quote:
Originally posted by Babu2002
Math is so gay... datz why I chose pink. Neway, all you have to do is get the answer to the first problem, rite? Then, repeat the problem ON to the first answer to the first problem,~~ and so forth and so forth. That's why they call them derivatives of the last "derivative".

oh man are you a genius

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-03-2002 01:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

These are higher derivatives and can get damn tedious...
Like mentioned before.. just figure out the derivative of the first function. After you have that, you figure out the derivative of THAT function and so on and so on...

I just figured these ones out but I'm not guaranteeing that this is correct... It's late at night and i really don't feel like thinking(not to mention that higher dervatives are amazingly annoying).
I didn't bother to figure out for g"'(-pi/8), you can do that yourself.

ok here goes...

g(t)= csc 2t
g'(t)= -2cot2tcsc2t
g"(t)= 4[(cot2t)^2(csc2t) + (csc2t)^3]
g"'(t)= 8[(cot2t)(csc2t)^3 - (cot2t)^3(csc2t)]

Well I hope these are correct and I hope that they helped...

Last edited by Drunken Master on 05-03-2002 at 08:49 PM

Old Post 05-03-2002 08:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakez0r

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken Master
These are higher derivatives and can get damn tedious...
Like mentioned before.. just figure out the derivative of the first function. After you have that, you figure out the derivative of THAT function and so on and so on...

I just figured these ones out but I'm not guaranteeing that this is correct... It's late at night and i really don't feel like thinking(not to mention that higher dervatives are amazingly annoying).
I didn't bother to figure out for g"'(-pi/8), you can do that yourself.

ok here goes...

g(t)= csc 2t
g'(t)= -2cot2tcsc2t
g"(t)= 4[(cot2t)^2(csc2t) + (csc2t)^3]
g"'(t)= 8[(cot2t)(csc2t)^3 - (cot2t)^3(csc2t)]

Well I hope these are correct and I hope that they helped...

well i don't think you got that first derivative right. For this kind of problem you have to use the chain rule which states that you take the derivative of the inside function and multiply it by the derivative of the whole function. Now i don't know the derivative of cosecant but g'(t) would look something like this

g'(t) = 2*csc'(2t)

basically 2 times the derivative of cosecant with (2t)

i hope that kind of helped :)

Old Post 05-14-2002 08:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jakez0r Click here to Send jakez0r a Private Message Visit jakez0r's homepage! Find more posts by jakez0r Add jakez0r to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

quote:
Originally posted by jakez0r

well i don't think you got that first derivative right. For this kind of problem you have to use the chain rule which states that you take the derivative of the inside function and multiply it by the derivative of the whole function. Now i don't know the derivative of cosecant but g'(t) would look something like this

g'(t) = 2*csc'(2t)

basically 2 times the derivative of cosecant with (2t)

i hope that kind of helped :)

No, you don't do it like that sorry.
just think of 2t as B lets say...
they it would be g(t)=csc B
the derivative of that would be g'(t)= -cot Bcsc B * dB
we sub B=2t then it would be g'(t) = -cot 2t csc2t *2.
The chain rule is used but you also forgot to derive the csc value.

Old Post 05-14-2002 08:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakez0r

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken Master

No, you don't do it like that sorry.
just think of 2t as B lets say...
they it would be g(t)=csc B
the derivative of that would be g'(t)= -cot Bcsc B * dB
we sub B=2t then it would be g'(t) = -cot 2t csc2t *2.
The chain rule is used but you also forgot to derive the csc value.

i know i did because i forgot what the derivative of csc is :) if you look i put a little " ' " there to mean csc prime or derivative of csc. But whatever :)

Bumping Threads Since 2001

Old Post 05-16-2002 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jakez0r Click here to Send jakez0r a Private Message Visit jakez0r's homepage! Find more posts by jakez0r Add jakez0r to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote