Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > Homework Help > math problem
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

math problem

A health clinic uses a solution of bleach to sterilize petri dishes in which cultures are grown. The sterilization tank contains 100 gal of a solution of 2% ordinary household bleach mixed with pure distilled water. new research indicates that the concentration of bleach should be 5% for complete sterilization. How much of the solution should be drained and replaced with bleach to increase the bleach content to the recommended level?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2002 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

oh pack this is a hw question? i'll holla back later

Old Post 04-18-2002 05:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GinaDaQueen

hehe i'll try to get my dad to figure it out ^^

Old Post 04-19-2002 03:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GinaDaQueen Click here to Send GinaDaQueen a Private Message Find more posts by GinaDaQueen Add GinaDaQueen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GinaDaQueen

ok this is purely my dad's doing......sorry if it's wrong

2 gallons + x = 0.05
100 - x

solve the equation.....by cross multiplying

sorry that probably didn't help much

Old Post 04-19-2002 03:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GinaDaQueen Click here to Send GinaDaQueen a Private Message Find more posts by GinaDaQueen Add GinaDaQueen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

if it's one hundred gallons, 2% would be 2 gallons. So assuming you can drain only water away from the solution, it'd be to drain 3 gallons of water and put in 3 gallons of bleach. This was simple, so it's probably not right, though it could be

Old Post 04-19-2002 03:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GinaDaQueen

why don't they just make a new solution of bleach without draining the whole thing?

lemme explain my problem too

since 2% of 100 gal is 2gal, you have x amount you need to make it 5% solution so it would be 2gal plus the x amount to get it to five percent....

and you gotta put that over a 100 take away the x amount that is needed to be put into the solution

and the fraction of that should make 5%......

oy, this is giving me a headache....i hope you understand what i'm trying to say

Old Post 04-19-2002 03:37 PM
Babu2002

If it should be "5% concentration" instead of "two",
you should try to multiply the amount of 100 gallons to the two percent or 0.02 (2% in decimal form).
Then, equate the following so that you have a five percent concentration for the 100 gallons of "solution". (Solution stands for 'sum', or the distilled H2O added to the amount of household bleach.
In the end, the point of the procedure is to have a certain concentrate of the bleach, so that sterilization is possible without wasting too much bleach or unnecessary sterilization.
Do you get that? Hope that helped out a little...

Old Post 04-26-2002 12:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Babu2002 Click here to Send Babu2002 a Private Message Find more posts by Babu2002 Add Babu2002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote