Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Literature > Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hoyoungz luv
eunice~

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

I just finished reading this book for my English project. I didn't like it at first; it moves really slowly and I found the language difficult to read. Instead of skimming through it like I do with other books, I had to go back and reread the same passage two or three times to actually understand it.

It's a really great book though. It was published in the late 1800s so I figured it would be a dull book. I'm sort of biased against 19th century books. But anywAyz. The story is so interesting and I really liked the main character, Tess. I got into an argument with my friend over Tess's character. I viewed her as a victim of circumstance; she couldn't do anything to alleviate her situation and she tried her best to make everything 'nice' the best she knew how. My friend viewed her as not being able to control herself. She didn't think what Tess did was right.

Has anyone read it? Any opinions on this? I don't want to go too in depth about this book since I don't want to kill it for anyone. I actually read an online summary while I was halfway through the book. Yes, I realize I'm an idiot. I couldn't help myself. I knew about the ending before I read it and it sucked. This is the type of book that knowing the ending will make it less 'fun.' It didn't leave me with that feeling of abruptness that I know would've happened if I hadn't finished the ending.

gOsh. I babble... sorry about that.

come join the fun -> and ->

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-07-2002 08:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hoyoungz luv Click here to Send hoyoungz luv a Private Message Find more posts by hoyoungz luv Add hoyoungz luv to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ggomah Kaze
Jung Pilgyo's Wife

I began to read it last summer... but I didn't get to finish it. I agree with you that the beginning is REALLY slow. and omg... the language... i had to read like ultra slow to get it... me and my 8th grade mind.

is it really that good though? maybe i'll try reading it again this summer...

Old Post 06-09-2002 01:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ggomah Kaze Click here to Send Ggomah Kaze a Private Message Find more posts by Ggomah Kaze Add Ggomah Kaze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

Re: Tess of the D'Urbervilles

quote:
Originally posted by hoyoungz luv
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
I actually read an online summary while I was halfway through the book. Yes, I realize I'm an idiot. I couldn't help myself. I knew about the ending before I read it and it sucked. This is the type of book that knowing the ending will make it less 'fun.'

lol thaz wut i did for gone with the wind. that book is so frickin long! neway, this sounds interesting....can u tell a lil more bout the book? like wut social status is the main character and stuff like that? is it victorian?

Old Post 06-20-2002 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote