Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > what do you think about catholicism?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jini
nan.. yunjiniee da ~

Question what do you think about catholicism?

.. i dunno. they don't use the bible.. so what are they going by?

wherever you go, whatever you do
i will be right here waiting for you
whatever it takes or how my heart breaks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-28-2002 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jini Click here to Send jini a Private Message Visit jini's homepage! Find more posts by jini Add jini to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz
Music/Multimedia/Lyricism

catholics use the Bible, but they have added books. jus cuz someones catholic doesnt mean the goin to hell. i believe some catholics will go to heaven. Catholics and Christians are somewhat similair, but things have been added on, such as, catholicism states taht u have to go to a priest of some sort to be able to confess ur sins and stuff, that states that normal people are not allowed to talk to God on their own. But tahts what Jesus was for. In the Bible it states:
"At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split." (Matthew 27:51)
See, back before Jesus died for us, only high priests n such could enter behind the curtain. it was a special room wher u were to give sacrifice to God...i think. im not entirely sure what went on back there...i forget, but anyway. When it says the curtian was torn in half, it was a symbol that anyone could enter and talk to God, without the use of a priest n such.
also, catholics emphasize the importance of the virgin Mary.
they pray to her, which they shouldnt, and some believe (not all) that without Mary, there would be no Jesus Christ, which is so much BS.

whew, taht was alot of typing! x.x

http://www.mcjdragonz.com

http://www.dynamicvocalz.tk

http://www.streetmaderecordz.tk

Old Post 08-28-2002 05:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for J-DraGoNz Click here to Send J-DraGoNz a Private Message Visit J-DraGoNz's homepage! Find more posts by J-DraGoNz Add J-DraGoNz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jini
nan.. yunjiniee da ~

quote:
Originally posted by J-DraGoNz

catholics use the Bible, but they have added books.

when i said that they didn't use the Bible, it came from experience. i went to catholic church too.. they spoke nothing of the Bible.

quote:
jus cuz someones catholic doesnt mean the goin to hell. i believe some catholics will go to heaven.

yea.. i believed that for a while because we both believe in God.. but i asked my pastor.. and he said no because catholics believe that Jesus Christ's blood was insufficient to save us from our sins(that's why catholics confess to their priest) but the Bible says that His blood was sufficient.

i don't want to criticize their religion.. but some of their traditions are not in the Bible..

Old Post 08-28-2002 05:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jini Click here to Send jini a Private Message Visit jini's homepage! Find more posts by jini Add jini to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

catholics don't have to read the bible... like j-dragonz said... they worship the virgin mary... while we juss respect her.

Old Post 08-28-2002 05:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz

yea ur pastors ryte. but not all catholic churchs are the same. some believe it was suffient, some dont. but generally they believe it wasnt. also Catholicism is based on Christianity, dey do use the Bible. Catholicism is also based on the Bible and its teachings.

Old Post 08-28-2002 06:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for J-DraGoNz Click here to Send J-DraGoNz a Private Message Visit J-DraGoNz's homepage! Find more posts by J-DraGoNz Add J-DraGoNz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
neXt

1. catholicism is very much rooted in the bible. If you went to a catholic church as you claimed, you would know this. The first half of the mass is bible readings etc. The priest usually gives his homily in context with the day's readings.

2. according to catholicism, when someone sins, they not only alienate themselves from God but also from community. One of the reasons why the priest is there during confession is because he represents the community.

3. catholicism does not state that ppl cannot have an intimate relationship with God, one on one. Dunno where you got that from. I think thats even one of the most important aspect of Christianity.

4. A catholic is considered a Christian.. Its a denomination of christiany.. just like the Baptists etc.

I know I sound anal.. but I took a couple indepth religious studies courses during my first year in university and I get a little annoyed at onedimensional remarks and accusations out of ignorance. " balblalba is pure BS" etc.

Being a christian myself doestn give me the right to call Hinduism BS. When ppl start doing that, then well.. look at Ireland.

Old Post 08-28-2002 06:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for neXt Click here to Send neXt a Private Message Find more posts by neXt Add neXt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jini
nan.. yunjiniee da ~

quote:
Originally posted by neXt
1. catholicism is very much rooted in the bible. If you went to a catholic church as you claimed, you would know this. The first half of the mass is bible readings etc. The priest usually gives his homily in context with the day's readings.

i did went to a catholic church.

ok.. so the first half of the mass is bible readings.. where does it go from there? i didn't see them opening the book itself.. the priest didn't have one either

Old Post 08-28-2002 06:10 AM
neXt

Its on the lectern.. already open for the mass. They just go up there to read it.

You sure you went to a mass? and nto some coffee chat session of some sort??

First part is the liturgy of the word (bible) after which is liturgy of the eucharist.. in which there is prayer, worship etc.

Old Post 08-28-2002 06:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for neXt Click here to Send neXt a Private Message Find more posts by neXt Add neXt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
junjinluber33

they have way too many rituals and ceremonies~ God died for our sins... buh they believe that He died for original sin and thats why catholics have continuous confessions

click^ leave a msg in my chatter box!

team3 biotch! its da group blog

Old Post 08-28-2002 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for junjinluber33 Click here to Send junjinluber33 a Private Message Visit junjinluber33's homepage! Find more posts by junjinluber33 Add junjinluber33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

i am catholic...and i'm sorri, but catholics not going to heaven?? wut da...i've never heard that. and of course we use the Bible...all Christian religions use the Bible...

there is the opening song, opening prayer, first reading (from the Bible), responsorial psalm (song written w/ words from Bible), second reading (from Bible), and then the liturgy (from Bible). after that we give our prayers (ehh..dunno the name for them >.< ), then say "peace be with u" to our neighbors, then we take communion, then there's the announcements, closing prayer, song, and we go home.

and to call part of this religion BS...to call a part of ANY religion BS...is not wut a true Christian wud do, in mai opinion.

Old Post 08-28-2002 09:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jj2
JSL Member

quote:
[i]to call a part of ANY religion BS...is not wut a true Christian wud do, in mai opinion. [/B]

*nods in agreement* true true..

Old Post 08-28-2002 10:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jj2 Click here to Send Jj2 a Private Message Find more posts by Jj2 Add Jj2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz

umm, i dont see anywhere where i said other religions as BS...did i? honestly, i dont see it.

daNNy LuV 1TYM, can i ask you something. Catholics take communion every week ryte....why?

Old Post 08-28-2002 05:50 PM
neXt

quote:
Originally posted by J-DraGoNz
they pray to her, which they shouldnt, and some believe (not all) that without Mary, there would be no Jesus Christ, which is so much BS.

anyway, you are entitled to your opinions. except you shouldnt assume things either

Old Post 08-28-2002 08:42 PM
neXt

quote:
Originally posted by junjinluber33
they have way too many rituals and ceremonies

way too many? if you compare it to protestanism then sure.. if you think the church has too many rituals, you should see the orthodox church..

one thing i dont understand is why protestants always attack catholics or accuse them of such and such... i hear it all the time. I have nothing wrong with protestants, in fact my older brother is Baptist and we respect each other's faiths. I even attend his services once in awhile.

Old Post 08-28-2002 08:48 PM
ajy

theres not many cermonies at all. Im roman catholic.
baptism
pennance
communion
confirmation
marriage annointing of the sick

Old Post 08-28-2002 09:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz

quote:
Originally posted by neXt

anyway, you are entitled to your opinions. except you shouldnt assume things either

i didnt say the relgion itself is BS, i just said that to worship and pray to mary and to think without her there would be no Jesus Christ is BS

Old Post 08-28-2002 09:11 PM
tm11
down by law

next is totally right..

anyways
Catholics don't worship Mary, they worship God (The Holy Trinity).

Prayer and Worship are different things.

Prayer to Mary/The Saints isn't worshipping them, it's just like asking other people to pray for you. They would be closer to God then we are, so what's the pain in asking for their assistance? That's the catholic view, somewhat essentialized for you.

Old Post 08-28-2002 09:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
neXt

yep true... catholics dont worship saints or the mary as is the common misconception. They venerate them.. which mean they hold them in high esteem and recognize their relationship with God i guess

Old Post 08-28-2002 10:25 PM
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

j-dragonz -- we take communion every week to remind ourselves how Jesus sacrificed himself for us. at the Last Supper Jesus said sumtin like "take this bread which is my body and eat it; do this in memory of me." (err..i noe it's not exactly like that but it's close ^^) same thing w the wine/his blood

so u didn't say Catholocism is BS...but u sed part of wut we believe is BS. that is essentially the same thing. i mean, even tho i think it's odd that reincarnation is part of certain religions, i don't think it's BS just cuz i dun believe in it. it's just DIFFERENT WAYS of interpreting things. look at ireland, like next pointed out...they are all CHRISTIANS and look at the horrible things they're doin to each othr...Catholics and Protestants, is there really such a big difference? we just interpret the Bible differently, just like diff Protestant sects like Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Prebyterians, etc. I'm Catholic and i never thot Protestants weren't goin to heaven

Old Post 08-28-2002 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

well... lets get a few things straight... catholics ARE christians... lets not use the phrase BS or any other alienating phrase in a debate, things get pretty touchy with this sorta thing...

okay... my beliefs on catholism... catholism isn't wrong, its just like any other christian sect, and it demands just as much respect as any other branch... just because were protestant doesn't give us the right to critisize their beliefs, ie... praying to mary, communion, confession... though we as protestants believe that we can have direct dialoge, if somewhat one way, to God himself... we don't have the right to smash on the catholics way of doing things... though we may see it as "not right" we just have to keep it to ourselves... i believe catholism is a bit different, and i would find it tedious myself to go through the routine of sunday like that, but hey some people believe through all the rituals you give him more respect and reverance... lets just say that no one has the right to say any religion is wrong, because frankly... were not God...

Old Post 08-29-2002 06:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote