Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > Does God favor males?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
krnxswat
what a joke!

Does God favor males?

`Why do a good majority of US adults envision God in primarily or exclusively male terms?

Probably because we link "godly" attributes such as wisdom and power to men. Thus, it is hardly surprising that organized religions tend to favor males, a fact evident in passages from many of the sacred writings of major world religions.

The Koran declares that men are to dominate women:

quote:
Men are in charge of women. . . .
Hence good women are obedient
. . . . As for those whose rebelliousness you fear, admonish them, banish them from your bed, and scourge them. (quoted in Kaufman,1976:163)

Christianity, the major religion of the Western world, also supports patriarchy. While many Christians revere Mary, the mother of Jesus, the New Testament also includes the following passages:

quote:
A man . . . is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. (1 Cor. 11:7-9)

quote:
As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. (1 Cor. 14:33-35)

quote:
Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church. . . . As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands. (Eph. 5:22-24)

quote:
Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet woman will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty. (1 Tm. 2:11-15)

In Judaism, male Orthodox Jews say the following words in daily prayer:

quote:
Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, King of the Universe, that I was not born a gentile.

Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, King of the Universe, that I was not born a slave.

Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, King of the Universe, that I was not born a woman.

Challenges to the patriarchal structure of organized religion, from ordaining women to gender-neutral language in hymnals and prayers, has sparked heated controversy, delighting progressives while outraging traditionalists. Propelling these developments is a lively feminism in many religious communities. According to feminist Christians, for ex, patriarchy in the church stands in stark contrast to the largely feminine image of Jesus Christ in the scriptures as "nonaggressive, noncompetitive, meek and humble of heart, a nurterer of the weak and a friend of the outcast".`

Last edited by krnxswat on 04-03-2003 at 01:41 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-2003 01:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

just a question without reading any of this, do they refer to go as "he" in the bible? or do they just always avoid it somehow as in always saying "god" or whatever.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 04-03-2003 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
just a question without reading any of this, do they refer to go as "he" in the bible? or do they just always avoid it somehow as in always saying "god" or whatever.
They usually refer to him as "He".

[ Proverbs 18:24 ]

Old Post 04-03-2003 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yOOnsk Click here to Send yOOnsk a Private Message Find more posts by yOOnsk Add yOOnsk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by yOOnsk
They usually refer to him as "He".

well there it is. If they refer to him as a he like i am right now, and people are accustomed to it becuase they saw it that way in the bible they probably would not question whether or not that god is a male. I'll have to finally read your initial post when i'm not so lazy to figure out what this means.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 04-04-2003 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

well did u guys read paradise lost? well the fall of man was cause by woman. so i dunno maybe thats y

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 04-04-2003 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

Jesus refers to God as "Father" too, so it's even more plausible for God to be a man. anyway, i didn't know there were so many passages in the Bible outlawing women from preaching and keeping them quiet and submissive to their husbands. i certainly don't agree with all of that, and i doubt God would want every single woman to never speak up to a man in her life.

Old Post 04-04-2003 04:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote