Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > death sentence
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

death sentence

do you think the death sentence can be justified?

personally, i think it can. in the Old Testament it does say "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." In fact, God seemed very strict in the Old Testament haha. i don't think it was until Jesus that he showed Himself to be a loving, kind, and forgiving God. anyway, i was kinda wondering what you all thought about it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2003 01:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

me... i don't believe that any man can truely judge whether someone deserves death or not... i don't particularly like it... but i think it is a necissary evil

Old Post 01-15-2003 05:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
junjinluber33

hmm... dont really think that's neccessary... i'd think that life time in prison would be worse that the death sentence... buh that's just me

click^ leave a msg in my chatter box!

team3 biotch! its da group blog

Old Post 01-20-2003 07:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for junjinluber33 Click here to Send junjinluber33 a Private Message Visit junjinluber33's homepage! Find more posts by junjinluber33 Add junjinluber33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

quote:
Originally posted by junjinluber33
hmm... dont really think that's neccessary... i'd think that life time in prison would be worse that the death sentence... buh that's just me

the thing is tho as long as ur alive u can hire lawyers to get you out after a few yrs.

Old Post 01-20-2003 07:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Re: death sentence

quote:
Originally posted by daNNy LuV 1TYM
in the Old Testament it does say "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."

I thought that was Hammurabi.

Old Post 01-22-2003 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
junjinluber33

quote:
the thing is tho as long as ur alive u can hire lawyers to get you out after a few yrs.

oOoo... i thought life in prison meant... life in prison

click^ leave a msg in my chatter box!

team3 biotch! its da group blog

Old Post 01-22-2003 07:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for junjinluber33 Click here to Send junjinluber33 a Private Message Visit junjinluber33's homepage! Find more posts by junjinluber33 Add junjinluber33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by junjinluber33
oOoo... i thought life in prison meant... life in prison

No I think it's only 25 yrs. if the person behaves.

Old Post 01-22-2003 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

Re: Re: death sentence

quote:
in the Old Testament it does say "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

heh yeah. wasnt that the code of Hammurabi?

Old Post 01-22-2003 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

Re: Re: death sentence

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

hmm so it is. didn't noe that hehe. but it's used in the Bible:

Exodus 21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Leviticus 24:17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
21 And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.

Deuteronomy 19:16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.
21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Matthew 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Old Post 01-23-2003 01:49 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

nope, it can never be justified. It can be rationalized though.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 01-25-2003 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LooKatClara

the thing is that's old testament. in the new testament, Jesus pretty much made new laws - basically, to love. and murder is not love. no matter what, killing someone intentionally is murder, no matter what the purpose. the fact that the person killed someone gives another no right to be killed. maybe in self defence it's acceptable but it's not good.

and to my own personal belief, i think that a person is always able to change. take the story of st. maria goretti and her rapist. italy doesn't have death penalty so he was left to rot in jail pretty much. but st. maria goretti appeared to him and forgave him (he raped her several times and left her to die). and he repented and later became a saint himself because he just turned his whole life around. if he had been killed, that would've been one less saint, one less person to do good in this world.

"an eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind" - mahatma gandhi

Old Post 02-03-2003 02:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LooKatClara Click here to Send LooKatClara a Private Message Visit LooKatClara's homepage! Find more posts by LooKatClara Add LooKatClara to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
nope, it can never be justified. It can be rationalized though.
yes... very true...

Old Post 02-03-2003 03:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote