Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > Surrender
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
s0lotu

Surrender

hey guys

i came to Woon Gwang church today and couldn't help but notice on the jubo Ju Sun Lee and Sun Ho Lee's names.

Since I didn't bring enough copies of the informational sheets, here it is:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
SURRENDER
Students United in Reaching Rockland

SURRENDER is a non-profit organization geared towards Christian junior high and high-school students who have a passion for and are dedicated to serving the Christian community. SURRENDER has two main goals:
To build up strong leaders to serve in the Christian community, especially as leaders in their church youth groups.
To encourage the involvement of Christian youth in their community and thus promote the unity of Christian youth in Rockland.

Who are we looking for?
We are targeting individuals with the following characteristics:
A passion for serving the community. We are looking for dedicated individuals who have an interest or desire in becoming leaders in the Christian community. Although this targets students who currently have or will have a leadership position in their Youth Groups, we also encourage students who may not be as involved in their Youth Groups or students who do not belong to any Youth Group but want to serve the Lord by becoming involved in the Christian community.
A passion for Christ. This is the more important quality of the two. A large part of becoming a strong Christian leader is having a strong personal relationship with Christ. Individuals interested in this program must not only have a desire to serve others but also must have a strong desire to serve the Lord and grow as Christian individuals.

THE SUMMER PROGRAM

As a first step towards its goals, SURRENDER has designed a 6-week summer program for students who are interested in becoming the building blocks of what is planned to be an ongoing project. The program will begin on July 6th and end on August 16th. There is no program fee.

The Schedule
Meetings will be held twice a week, once on Sunday nights at 4PM and the other on Wednesday nights at 8PM. The meetings are about 2 hours in length and will be held at the Bridgewater Community Clubhouse on Trevor Lake Drive in Congers, NY.
Activities wil be planned for Saturdays (see “Activities” section).
Prayer meetings will be held on Sundays after the 4PM meetings at Bridgewater Community Clubhouse and on Wednesday mornings at 6AM at Rockland Lake (entrance by poolhouse). They are about 30 minutes in length.

The Activities
During meetings, the students will be signing up for and discussing the organization of activities during the summer. These activities will include:
Revivals
Monthly praise nights
A community service event in Rockland
A fund-raising event
A picnic
Additional events decided upon by discussion
Day events will be held on Saturdays, while praise nights will be planned for a Friday night once a month.

Accountability Groups
Aside from organizing activities, students will be meetings with their accountability group during the meetings in order to keep each other in check. Members of each group will keep each other accountable on the following:
Daily Quiet Times
Prayers and prayer requests
Lighthouse prayer (an evangelism project)
Other personal and/or spiritual concerns

BEYOND THE SUMMER

At the termination of the summer program, students will be encouraged to continue the pursuit of the goals of SURRENDER. Meetings will be held once a month in order to plan monthly praise nights, revivals, and other joint events. We pray that SURRENDER wil help build strong leaders in the Christian community and through them, bring the Christian youth of Rockland County together to serve and praise the Lord as one body.

WEBSITE

Although SURRENDER does not have its own website yet, members as well as non-members of SURRENDER contribute to the xanga site of username basiclove (brothers and sisters in Christ’s love). Whether or not you partake in SURRENDER, you are welcome to comment or even post on this site. It is a place to share QT reflections, prayer requests, stories, poems, questions, thoughts, etc. with other Christians. Individuals who have not yet received Christ but have questions or thoughts are welcome to post as well.
Address: www.xanga.com/basiclove
Login: basiclove
Password: jesus

CONTACT INFORMATION

If you have any questions concerning the program, please contact:

Vivian Lim
(845) 642-6325
YL507@columbia.edu
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I started this for many reasons. One of the reasons is that I noticed Rockland churches don't ever do anything together; instead, they go to New Jersey or NYC. I am hoping Christian youth in Rockland will be strengthened as a community as well as individually.

So far, RKPC, Han Shin, and the former RPGC are involved. Onnuri Presbyterian, I hope, will also join us at least in events if none of their members partakes in the organization.

I have sent an e-mail to the teacher Sun Sim updating her on all the things we are doing and planning. I will post some of this info on here as well :)
Please please e-mail me if you have any questions.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2003 04:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for s0lotu Click here to Send s0lotu a Private Message Find more posts by s0lotu Add s0lotu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s0lotu

First Event

Here is the info for the first event:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROCKLAND PSYCHIATRIC CENTER - SATURDAY, JULY 19TH
Here is the plan for the visit to the Psychiatric Center. I will be calling tomorrow to confirm everything with them. If there are any adjustments, I will let you all know.
We will first meet in front of my house and departing together.
- ADDRESS: 54 Trevor Lake Drive; Congers, NY 10920
- TIME: No later than 2:00PM
- WHO: Anyone is invited to come! You don't have to have attended a SURRENDER meeting to come. We especially invite members of Onnuri Presbyterian and Woon Gwang church to join the rest of us (RKPC, HanShin, former RPGC, and others). You can bring your friends too. But let me know if you are coming because I need to know how much food to get (I am in charge of pizza & soda)
- RIDES: If anyone needs a ride, please do not hesitate to send out an e-mail to me or the whole mailing list and we will do what we can.
- FEES: Because SURRENDER has just started, we have no money =( We will be asking each participant to bring a small contribution, probably less than $5, to just pay for the food. I will let you guys know as soon as I have an estimate of how many people are coming and how much food I am buying. (Hopefully after the fundraising event we can have money in our treasury to support these events. Note: SURRENDER is non-profit, no money goes to the members directly).
We estimate there to be about 25-30 adult patients there. James will be selecting 3 praise songs for us to sing and announcing the selections through e-mail; he will also be making copies for the patients to sing along with us. Pablo Ko jundosanim volunteered to give a brief message to them (thanks jundo). We will also be praying for them and with them, as well as just talking to them and just giving them company! They love getting visitors. =)
During today's prayer meeting, we prayed about the Psychiatric Center. YoungSoo Kang jundo will be posting or e-mailing us a summary of what the Lord spoke to us during the meeting. =)
* I need to know if anyone wants to play guitar or anything else for us. And if you have any other suggestions of what we could do there, let us all know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also guys, if anyone knows about any other churches in Rockland that we can invite, please let me know.

This isn't limited to people who attend these churches, however. ANYONE who wants to join our events is welcome!!! Just be sure to let me know soon!

Old Post 07-14-2003 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for s0lotu Click here to Send s0lotu a Private Message Find more posts by s0lotu Add s0lotu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

ooh!!
haha, dis is andy!!
i didn't know u were on dat username.. ooh...
dun worry, church is informed about everything, but kim pastor doesn't really have a clue yet, so well inform him soon
::edit::
scratch that, only some ppl know whats going on, im tryin my best to get everyone informed asap b4 sat

Last edited by YaaMaKoh on 07-14-2003 at 06:18 PM

Old Post 07-14-2003 05:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YaaMaKoh Click here to Send YaaMaKoh a Private Message Visit YaaMaKoh's homepage! Find more posts by YaaMaKoh Add YaaMaKoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

ill post this on the wgc forums too.

Old Post 07-14-2003 06:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YaaMaKoh Click here to Send YaaMaKoh a Private Message Visit YaaMaKoh's homepage! Find more posts by YaaMaKoh Add YaaMaKoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s0lotu

bad news

holla to andy!! :)

ok, bad news. i called the Psychiatric Center, and it seems like a week in advance is not enough. the lady i spoke with said that usually people call for MONTHS in advance. we have a meeting tomorrow at 8PM at the Bridgewater Community Clubhouse and will be deciding what is gonna happen on Saturday. Hopefully, if we can't go to the Psychiatric Center, we can still do something else. Too bad it has to seem so last minute xP

but don't be discouraged guys, we are building the foundation (i should be looking in the mirror and saying this too huh...). we might encounter a lot of "failures" but as long as we are listening to God and doing His will, even the failures are part of the process.

so let's not pray that everything goes OUR way, but that all things go HIS way. =)

God bless.

Old Post 07-15-2003 10:04 PM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

I find the name of this group
very very very disturbing...

Old Post 07-17-2003 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s0lotu

Saturday approved

Saturday is still on!! Yay!! I guess God wanted it to happen, huh. I still need to know if you want to come though, so I can buy enough pizza & soda. So please e-mail me.

Old Post 07-17-2003 04:09 AM
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

Re: Saturday approved

quote:
Originally posted by s0lotu
Saturday is still on!! Yay!! I guess God wanted it to happen, huh. I still need to know if you want to come though, so I can buy enough pizza & soda. So please e-mail me.

msn still isn't informed yet. errughhhhhhh
saturday we wont be back till like 12- whatever time, were going on a missionary prac session.

Old Post 07-18-2003 04:33 PM
OneWeCallOMEGA

quote:
Originally posted by requiem

O crap it really is!!...

Old Post 07-21-2003 04:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for OneWeCallOMEGA Click here to Send OneWeCallOMEGA a Private Message Find more posts by OneWeCallOMEGA Add OneWeCallOMEGA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by requiem

agreed. Whether or not you're surrendering to a "good" institution doesn't matter as much as the fact that surrender implies a complete loss of control over yourself.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 07-21-2003 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

i think the names perfectly fine
why dont you go on a couple of church events, retreats, and revivals... it does really mean something.
of how jesus christ surrendered his life for us to cleanse our sins. and how we must do the same for him, for the pain he went through was tremoundous compared to what we go through. after all, heaven and living with christ himself is a great reward.

Old Post 07-21-2003 09:40 PM
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

and sorry about that..its kinda hard to keep in touch with msn. he was out on friday,.. he had to go to the airport i think. saturday we had missionary practice so wgc couldn't go to the meeting in bridgewaters. ill pm you his cell phone soon. possibly today

Old Post 07-21-2003 09:44 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by YaaMaKoh
of how jesus christ surrendered his life for us to cleanse our sins.

I believe the more accepted interpretation of his actions is that he 'sacrificed' his life for humans- which has an entirely different meaning and connotation.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 07-21-2003 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
I believe the more accepted interpretation of his actions is that he 'sacrificed' his life for humans- which has an entirely different meaning and connotation.

yes, he did sacrifice his life for us. but he had to surrender in order to do so... it was God's plan for him to surrender to the pharisies(... i dont quite remember, that name can be totally wrong) in order for himself to sacrifice for us on the cross.

Old Post 07-22-2003 02:45 PM
s0lotu

IMPORTANT UPDATE

i should have posted this earlier... it's an e-mail updating from Sunday's meeting.

--------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone

New plan.

I went to RKPC today to talk to the samonim and ask for some input about SURRENDER, and her words changed my ideas a lot. I thought about it after I went home, and we (James, Youngsoo jundo, one of Youngsoo's student, and I) discussed it as well as prayed about it during today's meeting, and we came to the conclusion that we need to re-establish this group. This doesn't mean that all the work we've done already has gone to waste. We had our hearts in the right place, and God is showing us the way along the way, correcting our mistakes, making the path for us. I'm glad that we could learn from the few first steps we took, even if they might have been wobbly and a little misguided. Thank you God!~ And thank you samonim :)

Here is what we discussed: (I'll label by topic for easier reading)

1. FIRST GENERATION
For a couple of weeks now, God has gradually made it clearer and clearer how important it is to get the first generation involved. Today, it became the FIRST priority. Before we get any students involved in anything with this group, we (jundos, James, and I) need to get together and establish a clear presentation that we can show the moksanims, other jundosanims, and parents. So we will be keeping in touch through phone, e-mail, and meeting on Wednesday at 9:30PM in order to do this. To prevent any complications and misunderstandings, I would advise that students not come. If you insist on coming to give input, then your help is definitely welcome but ONLY IF you make it very very clear to your parents what you are doing and obtain full approval. In fact, if you want to come, your parents must speak to your jundosanim or me to say it's ok. I'm SERIOUS!!!!!!

2. INTEGRATION OF SURRENDER AS A HELPER TO ROCKLAND CHURCHES
There is also the problem of this group coming in conflict with church activities. This is the LAST thing we want. In fact, our goal was for our group to STRENGTHEN and HELP the individual churches. Although we didn't intend things to become like this, I have noticed that SURRENDER events are perceived as "separate" from church events and that creates conflict. So we talked about it, and we decided to make SURRENDER organize only 2 or 3 events for the entire year. These will be organized much much in advance, so that all the churches can plan to make these events as part of their church events instead of just an "outside" event. Because there are so few, they shouldn't overrun the individual church events but instead provide other events for them in which to participate.

3. STUDENT INVOLVEMENT
So where do the students come in? Being part of the SURRENDER team is not for everyone. Although the events that SURRENDER organizes will be events for everyone to attend, only a small portion of all the youth group members will be coming together to actually organize these events. Like I have described before, these are the students who are committed and trying to develop their leadership skills in order to help their OWN church. Just like each class has representatives in your school student council which meets once in a while to organize things for your entire school :) Hopefully, each church will be represented by at least one person. The work that the students will be doing is minimal since there are only 2-3 events to plan, so it shouldn't take away from involvement in their own churches, only strengthen it by their experience and growth. And because we will be explaining to the first generation these students' roles, I hope they will be able to not only understand what they are involved in but also be able to support them. The jundosanims and moksanims will be directly involved and well-informed in what the students are doing, and will be encouraged to give input.

4. SUSPENSION OF SURRENDER
For now, we are cancelling the SURRENDER events. If you guys still want to do some of these events, you guys can still organize it and whoever wants to come can come (although... make sure that it's ok with your parents and they know what you're doing!). For example, I know that Paul really wants to go reach out to the Hispanic community in Spring Valley. If he is still up for it, there are still people willing to do it too. But it will not be part of SURRENDER, it will just be something we do because we want to on our own time.

5. THE CURRENT PLAN
The current plan is for us to first make a clear outline of what we are doing and make a presentation to the adults. Right now we are hoping this will all be done within 2 weeks. If all goes well, we are thinking in another 2 weeks we can have our first OFFICIAL STUDENTS meeting. I'm estimating that in order to plan the few events for SURRENDER, students will probably meet less than once a month, and at their convenience. I am also going to talk to the Harvesters organizers and see if we can work out something to have praise for the churches in Rockland. But I don't want to say too much at this point. I will keep you all updated about our progress.

Please pray for ROCKLAND! Pray that God will lead SURRENDER to become something that strengthens all the individual churches as well as Rockland as a whole. We want this organization to BELONG to the Rockland churches, not be a competition! And... e-mail us if you have any questions, concerns, advice... anything.

God bless!
- Vivian

Old Post 07-23-2003 05:57 PM
s0lotu

the name SURRENDER

Although I do not believe the topic of this argument to be of great importance, I do not want our non-believer friends as well as believer friends to be hindered by this dispute. The name "SURRENDER" does, like Andy argued, mean that we surrender ourselves to Christ. However, it doesn't mean one loses control over oneself. Here is a verse:

Matthew 10:39
"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

Hmm... have you guys seen those romantic movies where the main guy tells his lover that he wants to devote his life to be with her, that he actually isn't himself without her? We all know it doesn't mean he's gonna quit his job and not still have his own interests and just be her slave. Instead, it's that she does something to him through her love for him... she makes him see who he is because she sees who he is... it makes him find the best in himself and bring it out.

It is a similar concept with God but much more. Not only does God love us more than any lover could, but also because God is our creator, he knows more than anyone who we really are and what is best for us... He knows it better than we do ourselves.

The choices that people make in their lives are guided by their ever-changing feelings and by the influence of the world. In the movie "Shallow Hal" the psychologist has an argument with Hal's friend. Hal's friend says that the psychologist brainwashed Hal by altering his perception, but the psychologist argues that the media does the same. The world is constantly sending both blatant and subliminal messages that, in a way, can be argued as controlling us. So really, what is having control over ourselves?

Surrendering to God means not revoking our freedom of choice, but in fact making a choice to follow his influence over the world's influence because, as I said before, He knows us best. Take an apprentice. He wants to be taught and guided by the best master and one who understands his potential best, and in the end the apprentice will be best in his talent. But that requires trusting the master, even if he makes the apprentice do some exercises that the apprentice might not yet understand. In "Anger Management," Jack Nicholson puts Adam Sandler through the weirdest trial. Yet Adam Sandler's girlfriend trusts Jack Nicholson, and in the end, all turns out well. Jack Nicholson had a plan, and for it to work she had to surrendered Adam to Jack Nicholson's care.

Surrendering to God means that in everything we do, we want to be guided by Him. That is our choice. He knows us best and thus by following Him, we discover ourselves and our lives are complete. We use the word surrender to emphasize the amount of trust it takes. We surrender ourselves to God knowing that that is the path to really finding ourselves.

I hope that was at least a little helpful.

Old Post 07-23-2003 07:26 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Re: the name SURRENDER

quote:
Originally posted by s0lotu
Surrendering to God means not revoking our freedom of choice, but in fact making a choice to follow his influence over the world's influence because, as I said before, He knows us best.

, sorry.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 07-23-2003 08:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote