Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > did God make everything?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
saranghae

did God make everything?

At a certain college, there was a professor with a reputation for being tough on Christians.

At the first class every semester, he asked if anyone was a
Christian and proceeded to degrade and mock their statement of faith. One semester,
he asked the question and a young man raised his hand when asked if anyone was a Christian.

The professor asked, "Did God make everything, young man?"

"Yes he did, sir," the young man replied.

The professor responded, "If God made everything, then God made evil, andif we can only create from within ourselves, then God is evil."

The student didn't have a response and the professor was happy to have once again proved the Christian faith to be a myth.

Then another man raised his hand and asked, "May I ask you
something, sir?"

"Yes you may," responded the professor.

The young man stood up and said "Sir, is there such thing as cold ?

"Of course there is, what kind of a question is that? Haven't you
ever been cold?"

The young man replied, "Actually, sir, cold does not exist. What we consider to be cold, is really only the absence of heat. Absolute zero is
when there is absolutely no heat, but cold does not really exist. We have only created that term to describe how we feel when heat is not there."

The young man continued, "Sir, is there such thing as dark?"

Once again, the professor responded "Of course there is."

And once again, the student replied "Actually, sir, darkness does
not exist. Darkness is really only the absence of light. Darkness is
only a term man developed to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally, the young man asked, "Sir, is there such thing as evil?"

The professor responded, "Of course. We have rapes, and murders and violence everywhere in the world, those things are evil."

The student replied, "Actually, sir, evil does not exist. Evil is
simply the absence of God. Evil is a term man developed to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. It isn't like truth, or love, which exist as virtues like heat and light. Evil is simply the state where God is not
present, like cold without heat or darkness without light."

The professor had nothing to say.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-16-2003 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s0lotu

WERD. what an astute student. my hero.

Old Post 04-16-2003 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for s0lotu Click here to Send s0lotu a Private Message Find more posts by s0lotu Add s0lotu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
.aS.|5p!7f!|23
foo oo o o o oo o oo o o

im prolly just responding to this in this way because im not a christian but the first two are facts while the third is an opinion. its been established through science that the first two are true. someone thought of the third to prove that their way of thinking was the right one. i just dont see how this is concrete in any way. i see how they can be compared but i still think its just an opinion

j/w (not tryin to hate or start a fight or nething) is the absence of god satan and the abscence of heaven hell?

Old Post 04-16-2003 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Click here to Send .aS.|5p!7f!|23 a Private Message Find more posts by .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Add .aS.|5p!7f!|23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s0lotu

i think the point wasn't to prove to the professor that evil is the absence of God because... well, that's why it's called faith. you have to have faith in God to believe that in the first place. the point was intead to just prove to the professor that it's not a ridiculous idea like the professor was trying to make it out to be.

Old Post 04-16-2003 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for s0lotu Click here to Send s0lotu a Private Message Find more posts by s0lotu Add s0lotu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
.aS.|5p!7f!|23
foo oo o o o oo o oo o o

i got the same message but im always overly critical of religious practice. i just was takin it as an opinion cause the student takes two things that are literal and compares them to something figurative. its hard for me to come up with an example of what i mean but i do see your argument and am not tryin to critisize ur beliefs or nething.

Old Post 04-17-2003 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Click here to Send .aS.|5p!7f!|23 a Private Message Find more posts by .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Add .aS.|5p!7f!|23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s0lotu

quote:
Originally posted by .aS.|5p!7f!|23
i got the same message but im always overly critical of religious practice. i just was takin it as an opinion cause the student takes two things that are literal and compares them to something figurative. its hard for me to come up with an example of what i mean but i do see your argument and am not tryin to critisize ur beliefs or nething.

hehe, i know. i'm not offended. i think it's good that you're critical. in fact, i think even christians should be critical of what they're practicing too. anyway...
yeah, i do see what u mean. that's why i put in the bit about faith. christianity will never be based on 100% "fact" because then faith would be useless. then what's the whole point rite?

Old Post 04-17-2003 01:26 AM
.aS.|5p!7f!|23
foo oo o o o oo o oo o o

yup. ;)

Old Post 04-17-2003 02:00 AM
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

quote:
j/w (not tryin to hate or start a fight or nething) is the absence of god satan and the abscence of heaven hell?

the story says the absence of god is evil. i think the absence of heaven wouldn't necessarily be hell...it could be purgatory.

Old Post 04-22-2003 01:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
.aS.|5p!7f!|23
foo oo o o o oo o oo o o

i see wut u mean but its just a little too figurative for me iono

Old Post 04-22-2003 02:28 AM
micron
all i need is a miracle

quote:
im prolly just responding to this in this way because im not a christian but the first two are facts while the third is an opinion. its been established through science that the first two are true. someone thought of the third to prove that their way of thinking was the right one. i just dont see how this is concrete in any way. i see how they can be compared but i still think its just an opinion

from how i see it, the students point is to show that there are two different ends to a stick. its an example of poststructuralism, where meaning in language is fabricated generating multiple conclusions, that ideas are conditional and meanings are ambiguous. similarly, youre definition of 'concrete' may be different than his - he may very well see his arguements entirely 'concrete', to find that its the professors arguments that is flawed instead (which the story protrays). i dont know, this is getting tricky and beyond my little head, curse this thing we call language.

Old Post 04-23-2003 08:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Valor
prelapsarian dweller

A nice story. It made me think twice about my faith, (or lack of it) in God. =/

you'll turn and walk away, never
knowing that you are my life.

Old Post 04-28-2003 07:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Valor Click here to Send Valor a Private Message Visit Valor's homepage! Find more posts by Valor Add Valor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote