Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > American Culture
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Spartan

American Culture

Is it getting worse and worse? Sure we are better educated then in the past, but gradually I believe that American culture is slowly becoming crap.

Watching TV all the time, where our values now lie (sex, drugs, etc.) Listen to the music, I'm an avid rock fan but sometimes I think older music, like in the colonial days is a bit more civilized.

A letter to a loved one from a civil war soldier was like:

Dearest Helena,
Yearning for your comforting breath and prescence is all that sustains me on this squalid battlefield...

A letter to a loved one from a gulf war soldier:

Dear Helen,
Damn them sand monkeys. It is hot. I wish I had some ice. Don't sleep with anyone else. I like guns.

I stole that one from a comedian, but it's true.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-08-2002 06:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spartan Click here to Send Spartan a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan Add Spartan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

yes, the language that most people utilize nowadays is uncouth at best.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 11-08-2002 06:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

see but the thing is, not all the Americans are like that. so you can't just conclude that all the Americans rely on sex, drugs..etc

Old Post 11-08-2002 01:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

well, i think you can generalize american culture to fit those characteristics, because pointing out exceptions won't get us anywhere, cause on a whole, what i perceive of american culture is like that as well.

I would expect this to happen though, the longer we remain in "freedom", more than other countries rather, with all this tolerance for everything we're going to stop caring about values. Nietzsche predicted that in the 21st century, something would come call the "total eclipse of human values." That exists to a certain extent today. I don't think it will totally ever happen, cause he also said, i think, that in the 20th century everyone who is educated will become atheist and that just hasn't happened.

Anyway, so yeah, the total eclipse of human values is just that when humans realize that they are nothing more than machines, none of the divine treatment we consider ourselves in ("no we're not animals, we're humans, we're different"), once everyone realizes that nothing will matter and we just "operate." I think that's how it goes, someone correct me if i'm wrong. So yeah, humans used to be considered as such divinities i think, everything revolves around the earth, we're god's creation that is special from all other aniimals...now there really isn't a lot of the old fallacies that existed as they did in the past. Chivalry was knocked out as women began to fight for their own rights. What was once taboo is now accepted. Moving towards a freer culture i think just asks for the absence of values. If everything is accepted an neither right nor wrong, then who really cares? no one does, nothing matters, hence nihilism would occur of course in a sense to always be able to accept everything.

other cultures may not be as "bad" as america, simply because they have more governmental and traditional regulation. Simple as that. I don't think we're getting worse, i like it better this way.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 11-08-2002 04:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

itz jus sik, how americans grow and liv.. gets worse as it goes on..

Old Post 11-08-2002 05:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Street RSX
itz jus sik, how americans grow and liv.. gets worse as it goes on..

true that cuz to me i always thought as times past everything gets better

Old Post 11-09-2002 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

North America to me is one of the worst countries. I can't stand the stupid shit that goes on here. All the high crime rates and those kids suing mcdonalds for being fat 'cause they sat around and ate mcdonalds. Then you have all these people helpin' out just because of 9/11 its all so fake. I mean, innocent people did die. Innocent people die every fucking day but when a group of them die together its like OMG we gotta help out get our act together when they see bums on the street lieing in their own shit. They hand them five dollars and go home, thinking I influenced someone's life. WOW. I could go out and give pennies out and feel good about myself. Money is not the solution. Then you got a fucking retarded leader. Bush. How the FUCK can you say N Korea is the access to all evil and then try to make peace with them. Then you got the other half of the nation saying BOMB back. When will they learn when you retaliate more lives will be taken. Why not ocunt your losses and try to make peace. America needs to get their heads out of their asses.

Old Post 11-27-2002 12:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Click here to Send ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó a Private Message Find more posts by ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Add ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó
North America to me is one of the worst countries. I can't stand the stupid shit that goes on here. All the high crime rates and those kids suing mcdonalds for being fat 'cause they sat around and ate mcdonalds.

truly, this is the sign of the one of the worst countries in teh world.

quote:

Then you have all these people helpin' out just because of 9/11 its all so fake.

Wow, we should jsut not help anybody so we won't be "fake." This is a horrible thing, the ideal of us being fake really must outweigh any help we can do to our own people.

quote:

I mean, innocent people did die. Innocent people die every fucking day but when a group of them die together its like OMG we gotta help out get our act together when they see bums on the street lieing in their own shit.

Sure, why not help when it's a lot of people? I don't see waht your big problem with being "fake" is. A lot of it is rather genuine actually. You're just stating the obvious, of course people will be like OMG when they see thousands of people die. It's not fake, it's a natural reaction. I think it's a good thing we at least try to help people.

quote:

They hand them five dollars and go home, thinking I influenced someone's life.

Yeah, they really do think that....(sarcasm). No they don't, i'm generalizing cause you've presented it in that fashion, but we odn't give money to african aids and whatever and then think we rectified it. That's an absurd ideal that really is naive. We don't think that, it's far from that. Why do you think the leaders of our country are so stupid? They aren't.

-edit- oh yeah, and we are a terrbile country, i mean giving money to countless nations across the world, helping people rebuild their countries, and extending help beyond the point of generosity really is such a bad thing isn't it? (sarcasm). I think we do a lot of good, and don't see why you are so insulted by something that is based on nothing but your own assertions.

quote:

WOW. I could go out and give pennies out and feel good about myself. Money is not the solution. Then you got a fucking retarded leader. Bush. How the FUCK can you say N Korea is the access to all evil and then try to make peace with them.

Excuse me, but i don't think adhering to what bush said about N Korea is more important than peace. This is how Bush can say that, he called them the axis of evil as a way to show public disapproval of their actions, in hope that they may reform and to announce to the world the US' view, we are kind of...the worlds largest super power, you know our influence does play some weight in here. You've been too infected by the media, don't think bush is "retarded" just becuase everyone says so. Sure you go around finding funny quotes from him and whatever, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart. Look at his educational background (sure that doesn't constitute intelligence, but people like you just want to say he's retarded it seems like, he isn't stupid, in fact he's probably a lot smarter than you are, that's not meant in a bad way either, he's probably smarter than i am).

Anyway, why wouldn't you try and maintain peace, especially after they announced they have a nuclear weapon? just seems sort of common sense to go to all measures not to get them to use it, including peace...so he's not that dumb is he? He's helping to save your life.

quote:

Then you got the other half of the nation saying BOMB back. When will they learn when you retaliate more lives will be taken. Why not ocunt your losses and try to make peace. America needs to get their heads out of their asses.

Maybe you're unable to see the other side of this. If we silence that nation then they won't be a threat. Pretty easy huh? It does make sense, not saying i agree with it, but there is a rationale for it. Then there would not be any risk from retaliation because they would be in ruin.

I think you need to get your head out of wherever it is stuck, not america.

-Cromwell

Old Post 11-27-2002 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

American culture is different. It places a larger gap between the stupid and the intelligent. And the news wouldn't make any money reporting about intelligent people, so we have more stupid news everyday making everyone think we're a stupid country.
The disparity between intellect and idiocy grows larger each day. The school system makes everyone into the average kid. The intellects look to know more. The stupid people don't even care. Few people stay average anymore, they pick a side and live with it. That is their choice. It doesn't make America stupid. It makes a LOT of America stupid, but there are still some smart people out there.

Old Post 11-30-2002 06:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

American culture is indeed different and extremely violent. i believe i posted a quote or 2 from like nbc or watever sayin that the amount of people that die in american from guns or cars equal or are more then those in a year for Japan. and someone brought up the population and i made the ratios before so if u really want 2 go argue wit me go check my ratios before. ty in advance

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 11-30-2002 06:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:

North America to me is one of the worst countries. I can't stand the stupid shit that goes on here.

Canada doesn't really seem to have an extremely high crime rate.

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman

truly, this is the sign of the one of the worst countries in teh world.

That was pretty harsh man.

Old Post 12-01-2002 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

That was pretty harsh man.

\

yeah i suppose i could have said it better. I was sort of heated when i read that though. He was basing all america on a particular lawsuit. Anyway, I should apologize for that i guess. I am sorry ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

-Cromwell

Old Post 12-01-2002 12:39 AM
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

No, I wasn't. I'm just saying how can you let all of this shit fly in this country. DAMN MORE important things happen each day. Then you got all this 9/11 bullshit. Let's help America out even though we didn't before let's start now. No time like the present huh. It will all pass in a few years. Its sad how something so tradgic made so many stupid fucking people realize what they already should've known. To me, this is what makes America a bad place. And when I said NORTH America or AMERICA I meant the U.S. Sorry for the confusion. BUt oh well, its just my opinion, oh well.

Old Post 12-02-2002 07:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Click here to Send ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó a Private Message Find more posts by ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Add ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

everyone knew what you meant by america, no need to clarify.

when you used the lawsuit as an instance, that's making it seem like an example of why america is bad for reasons of the sort, hence you are basing america on lawsuits and the like. You said so yourself: "how can you let all of this shit fly in this country." America is bad because we let "all this shit fly."

Now that we are on the same page, refer to my other post for refutations. Other countries are much worse off than we are...hey, at least we help.

-Cromwell

Old Post 12-02-2002 07:44 AM
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

help how? i mean come on now, if i was to bomb some part in america and i said i was from korea. they'd be contemplating war with korea. why? why all this hate. why not count your loses and try to salvage whats left and not make it all in vein. my point is united states shouldn't worry about all this shit since its so great. people are abusing their rights, they got taken away. united states isn't as great as its initial image was.

Old Post 12-02-2002 08:34 AM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:
help how? i mean come on now, if i was to bomb some part in america and i said i was from korea. they'd be contemplating war with korea. why? why all this hate. why not count your loses and try to salvage whats left and not make it all in vein. my point is united states shouldn't worry about all this shit since its so great. people are abusing their rights, they got taken away. united states isn't as great as its initial image was.

So now we're talking politics. If a person wearing an American flag ran through the streets of Seoul and set off a bomb which killed a few hundred people, do you think South Korea would not consider war?
This isn't about America. This is about humanity. The thirst for blood dammit. An eye for an eye is still not dead yet. Kill 3,000 Americans and we killed off who knows how many Afghanistanis. Do I support it? NO. But that's what happened. Too many innocents died for me to support that war. Don't lie and say you didn't want vengeance against the people who flew those planes. If you didn't, you have no idea how to comprehend the loss of others.

And all this "fad" patriotism...I agree. It sucks. 99.9% of people who donated money and whatnot don't even understand the principles of America. That's terrible in itself. Few people understand what America is anymore and what it means to live here.

We "let shit fly" because we have rights. That lawsuit you referred to is a good example. We're letting that fly. We cannot stop it. It's called the legal system. One day, someone else might say they're letting "shit fly" when you bring up a trial that seems out of the ordinary. It's true, in Korea most likely the McD's lawsuit would be shot down at square one. Good for them. But in America, the objective is to let the trial go on and have the just party win. Now the ignorance of American citizens is a completely different story...

And have you ever been anywhere BUT Korea and America? Do you know how TERRIBLE it is in some places of the world? I find it IMPOSSIBLE to even consider America to be one of the worst countries in the world.

North America is a continent by the way.

Old Post 12-03-2002 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:

did you just read my last sentence? Or disregard my other post? i've answered this all ready.

Your instance of the bomb is not unique to america, in fact it's to all of humanity, so i really don't care about it and will disregard it.

And yes, we shouldn't worry about all this shit becuase we're so great? that is a terrible idea, yes let's let everyone attack us. Think about it, if we don't do anything we would not be the hegemon/super power we are today. Violence runs this world, why do you think America is the only superpower in contrast to the rest of the world? Ohhh, we can kill everyone else on the planet with our military, that's why. Commerce and whatever is secondary. It's common sense, force rules, and though we mask it, that doesn't mean that it's not a necessity. Should we just do nothing while N. Korea says they have a nuke hoping they won't attack us? And, continuing that mentality, should we just wait for them to nuke us and then count our casulties and salvage what's left so as to fit your better image of america? That's to the point of absurdity, self defense is just common basic sense. America wouldn't be where it was today if we endorsed such an idea.

People aren't abusing their rights, they are using them. Sure, that's subjective but it's pretty objective that they are using them. Sure, and in other places where they don't have such rights...is that better? America must be a bad place...oh wait, that's the people, not america!

Even if the image wasn't as great as it once was, it's still better than so many countires in the world. It's hardly one of the worst countries in the world.

-Cromwell

Old Post 12-03-2002 02:20 AM
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

So what, America has already been attacked. Why would you want MORE people to attack you. Saying, alright i'll defend my country will send tons of innocent lives to death. If they try to make peace and accomplish it, then not as many people get hurt in the process IF any. Even if they CAN'T make peace it'd still be better... I mean if you retaliate everytime someone does something to the USA you'd have MORE people that died in 9/11. What about crime on America by Americans? OK bombing, did they retaliate at his own country? No 'cause its their own.. They didn't say let's go to war with this guy and bomb this and bomb that. Yes, people ARE abusing their rights by using them. All you hear on the streets is I can say whatever I want freedom of speech this but all of a sudden you say something 'cause your mad and they take you to jail. Before you could walk down the street with a fucking gun and have no one care. I'd rather have a country choose for me so those rules are followed and if they aren't they are punished. Here, everyone goes their own way, its chaos. Only way you can go somewhere is together. I mean come on fucking think why N Korea is saying all of that shit when bush is saying they are the access to all evil then trying to make peace with them, how fucking stupid can you get. Its good that he is TRYING to make peace to TRY to save innocent lives. Its better than going there and blowing up the nuke and having something bigger and worse come back to America. What goes around, comes around. WHen I said that America is one of the worst countries, I meant that it is for being such a hypocrite of itself. It goes against everything it use to stand for.

Old Post 12-03-2002 02:46 AM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

How does someone respond to a paragraph which includes a country bombing ITSELF? Are you nuts? Do you even reread what you write so you can realize the stupidity of what you've written?

I assume you're referring to Timothy McVeigh. We can't BOMB Timothy McVeigh. We killed him. He's dead. It's that simple if you live in America.

Do you have any grasp of foreign policy? There is no way ANY SANE leader in their right mind will ever use a nuke militarily. Don't even consider it.

What you're trying to say, I gather, is that it's hypocritical of America to use violence to avenge violent acts. Do you think anyone who mass murders civilians will respond to peaceful negotiations? If you do, go tell the people in Palestine and Israel, cause it's working very well over there. The last leader to SIGN a peaceful agreement was assassinated. Goes to show how well PEACE works in the real world. Idealism only goes so far.

What you have to understand is that idealism is dead in the world. Politicians are serving the population. They want votes. Votes come from people. People want VENGEANCE. The outcry from people even TODAY is still for war against a phantom (aka terrorism). Those ignorant people fuel the fire that will make our next war take place. Ignorance is the wood we throw on the fire that fuels the hypocrasy you cite. And this ignorance is everywhere. You live in America, America has recently suffered a traumatic attack. Politicians have cleverly used this to start a war. Even Democrats won't speak out against the war. They want their votes too. When people are stupid, our image decreases, and we've only been getting stupider.

But your logic is flawed anyway. I agree with you to a point, but that point is far from where you have ended up.

Old Post 12-03-2002 03:24 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
So what, America has already been attacked. Why would you want MORE people to attack you. Saying, alright i'll defend my country will send tons of innocent lives to death. If they try to make peace and accomplish it, then not as many people get hurt in the process IF any. Even if they CAN'T make peace it'd still be better... I mean if you retaliate everytime someone does something to the USA you'd have MORE people that died in 9/11. What about crime on America by Americans? OK bombing, did they retaliate at his own country? No 'cause its their own.. They didn't say let's go to war with this guy and bomb this and bomb that. Yes, people ARE abusing their rights by using them. All you hear on the streets is I can say whatever I want freedom of speech this but all of a sudden you say something 'cause your mad and they take you to jail. Before you could walk down the street with a fucking gun and have no one care. I'd rather have a country choose for me so those rules are followed and if they aren't they are punished. Here, everyone goes their own way, its chaos. Only way you can go somewhere is together. I mean come on fucking think why N Korea is saying all of that shit when bush is saying they are the access to all evil then trying to make peace with them, how fucking stupid can you get. Its good that he is TRYING to make peace to TRY to save innocent lives. Its better than going there and blowing up the nuke and having something bigger and worse come back to America. What goes around, comes around. WHen I said that America is one of the worst countries, I meant that it is for being such a hypocrite of itself. It goes against everything it use to stand for.

ahh...the media can be so influential, can't it?

-Cromwell

Old Post 12-03-2002 03:44 AM