Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Cars > Rally Cars and others
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Prototype

er... ok..

um, okay wait.. your question is a displacement question :P

the more displacement you have, the more gas you can burn during each rev.

you increase displacement by making the cylinders bigger :P um, when you bore a cylinder, you're widening the chamber

I hope that made sense :P it's 7am and I'm.. not awake yet -_-;

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-31-2002 02:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Prototype Click here to Send Prototype a Private Message Visit Prototype's homepage! Find more posts by Prototype Add Prototype to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

okay yea that made sense. I thot that's what was happening but wasn't sure.

hm....here's a good question for ya. vtech....how does it work and also the new smart vtech system also. heh have fun.

Shift_

"cuz no matter how long U've known them or how well U think U know them..the friendship can be over in a second" ~Indecisive

"you don't realize how much of a luxury cup holders are until you don't have em" ~Indecisive

Old Post 06-01-2002 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for indecisive Click here to Send indecisive a Private Message Find more posts by indecisive Add indecisive to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hanul1004

ok i think i have the answers

VTEC:
You know about the valves that let air into the engine and let exhaust out of the engine. You also know about the cam shaft that controls the valves. The camshaft uses rotating lobes that push against the valves to open and close them.

It turns out that there is big relationship between the way the lobes are ground on the camshaft and the way the engine performs in different RPM ranges. To understand why this is the case, imagine that we were running an engine extremely slowly - at just 10 or 20 RPMs, so it took the piston seconds to complete a cycle. It would be impossible to actually run a normal engine this slowly, but imagine that we could. We would want to grind the cam shaft so that, just as the piston starts moving downward in the intake stroke, the intake valve would open. The intake valve would close right as the piston bottoms out. Then the exhaust valve would open right as the piston bottoms out at the end of the combustion stroke and would close as the piston completes the exhaust stroke. That would work great for the engine as long as it ran at this very slow speed.

When you increase the RPMs, however, this configuration for the camshaft does not work well. If the engine is running at 4,000 RPM, the valves are opening and closing 2,000 times every minute, or 3 to 4 times every second. When the intake valve opens right at the top of the intake stroke, it turns out that the piston has a lot of trouble getting the air moving into the cylinder in the short time available (a fraction of a second). Therefore, at higher RPMs you want the intake valve to open prior to the intake stroke - actually back in the exhaust stroke - so that by the time the piston starts moving downward in the intake stroke the valve is open and air moves freely into the cylinder during the entire intake stroke. This is something of a simplification, but you get the idea. For maximum engine performance at low engine speeds the valves need to open and close differently than they do at higher engine speeds. If you put in a good low-speed camshaft it hurts the engine's performance at high speeds, and if you put in a good high-speed camshart it hurts the engine's performance at low speeds (and in extreme cases can make it very hard to start the engine!).

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different RPM ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine.

VVT-I:
The latest Toyota system, VVTl-i, ends up working in much the same fashion as the Honda V-Tec in that it uses a mechanical device to swap over between a 'small' cam for low & medium revs and a 'big' cam for high revs.

Last edited by hanul1004 on 06-01-2002 at 01:05 AM

Old Post 06-01-2002 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hanul1004 Click here to Send hanul1004 a Private Message Visit hanul1004's homepage! Find more posts by hanul1004 Add hanul1004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hanul1004

.btw.

that was me, sangxjin

Old Post 06-01-2002 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hanul1004 Click here to Send hanul1004 a Private Message Visit hanul1004's homepage! Find more posts by hanul1004 Add hanul1004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

so is that called a twin cam shaft? dont' a lot of non Honda cars have twin cam shafts? or are they different things?

and what about Smart VTEC? The new Acura RSX's are said to have Smart VTEC. what's that about?

hehe sorry bout all the questions. but I"ve always been lacking on the technical side of cars.

and that explaination was good. at first I didn't get it but as I read on it made sense. thanks.

Shift_

"cuz no matter how long U've known them or how well U think U know them..the friendship can be over in a second" ~Indecisive

"you don't realize how much of a luxury cup holders are until you don't have em" ~Indecisive

Old Post 06-01-2002 05:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for indecisive Click here to Send indecisive a Private Message Find more posts by indecisive Add indecisive to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EvaX
Gringo Noche

i got a chance to drive Rhys Millen's Mitsubish Evo 6.5 when they were over here in WA for the SCAA Rally Championships up in the logging roads of Shelton, WA...(i got to drive it cuz my youth pastor is friends of both the Millens and he knows people on factory team at Mitsubishi) the thing is a freakin' beast, too bad Rhys didn't even make it past Stage 1 tho, and I got pelted by rocks as Team Hyundai came by on the part of Stage 1 I was watching from hehe

Old Post 06-01-2002 04:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for EvaX Click here to Send EvaX a Private Message Visit EvaX's homepage! Find more posts by EvaX Add EvaX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

quote:
Originally posted by indecisive
so is that called a twin cam shaft? dont' a lot of non Honda cars have twin cam shafts? or are they different things?

and what about Smart VTEC? The new Acura RSX's are said to have Smart VTEC. what's that about?

hehe sorry bout all the questions. but I"ve always been lacking on the technical side of cars.

and that explaination was good. at first I didn't get it but as I read on it made sense. thanks.

Its alrite, good to have alot of questions.
Im not sure but i think the Smart VTEC is different..I made a mistake by including VVT-I in here..VVT-I is a Toyota technology.
Hmm..ill look into the Smart VTEC..and the question about the twin cam shafts...alot of cars have twin cam shafts..you should ask Prototype

Props To Huby

Old Post 06-02-2002 03:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

heh aights. thanks

meh. I don't really care who answers. U've been a real big help to me. thanks.

EDIT: oh yea, and what about the different boosts wif Turbos? like 4 stage boost and whatever. is that how much compressed air is shot into the chamber? the higher the boost the more air? or what?

Shift_

Last edited by indecisive on 06-02-2002 at 07:52 AM

Old Post 06-02-2002 07:50 AM
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

smart vtech...
you mean
i-vtech...and note, the rsx goes clockwise instead of the counter-clockwise versions of the older honda models and makes.

Old Post 06-02-2002 08:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prototype

quote:
Originally posted by indecisive
heh aights. thanks

meh. I don't really care who answers. U've been a real big help to me. thanks.

EDIT: oh yea, and what about the different boosts wif Turbos? like 4 stage boost and whatever. is that how much compressed air is shot into the chamber? the higher the boost the more air? or what?

err.. turbo's are classed :P my friend tim could explain about it much more...

t3's and t4's are the most common :P err well from my pov.

Old Post 06-02-2002 08:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Prototype Click here to Send Prototype a Private Message Visit Prototype's homepage! Find more posts by Prototype Add Prototype to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

aight thanks. who's tim? is it sangxjin? or who?

Shift_

Old Post 06-03-2002 03:43 AM
Prototype

No, my friend tim is a white guy who spent the last like 3 months researching turbo's :P

Old Post 06-03-2002 03:59 AM
indecisive
the Deranged one

ahha oh I see lols

well, if anybody can help me I'll be happy heh

Shift_

Old Post 06-03-2002 04:46 AM
Prototype

uhh.. well here in america, they measure boost in lbs of pressure... or PSI..

I think in japan they measure by bars or something -_-; I dunno..

Old Post 06-03-2002 09:58 AM
sangxjin

yea ur rite prototype..

PSI here
BARS in japan

Props To Huby

Old Post 06-04-2002 12:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

more psi = more air into mixture then rite?

Shift_

Old Post 06-04-2002 01:10 AM
Prototype

er... psi means pounds per square inch?

Old Post 06-04-2002 01:22 AM
sangxjin

yea like in a tire..

Props To Huby

Old Post 06-04-2002 01:24 AM