Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Entertainment > Creative Writing > Read my Lips
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
1TYM 4mYmiNd

Read my Lips

Prolgoue- The Four Senses

I can see, just like you

I can taste, just like you

I can smell, just like you

I can feel, just like you

But I can't hear, unlike you

Chapter 1

"Wow, check out that HOT girl!" Junjin exclaimed, blinking his eyes just to make sure he was seeing correctly.

"Where? Where?" Andy and Hyesung cried, looking around the mall.

"I don't know why you check out other girls, I mean, you have Amy after all," Minwoo said, shaking his finger at Junjin. He smiled sheepishly.

"I'll look, but I wont touch!" Junjin promised, holding both of his hands in the air.

"So where is this hot girl?" Minwoo asked, sipping his sour green apple slurpee.

"Behind you, talking to that one girl, near the telephone booth," Junjin implied.

"Eeeeeh! She is H-O-T HOT!" Andy cried licking his lips.

"I'll be the judge of that," Minwoo turned around in his seat, catching a glimpse of the so-called hot girl. "So judge, give us your rating," Dongwan said grinning.

"I give her a 10, no doubt, hands down," Minwoo murmurred softly, staring adoringly at the girl. She was beautiful, she resembled one of the girls from Finkl, Lee Hyo.

Her brown hair was in curls, obviously done with hot curlers, it cascaded down her back. From what Minwoo could see, she had a brilliant white smile. He couldn't take his eyes off her filled out body figure, it was perfect.

"Holy shananikenz, she's comming this way! Spit your game!" Hyesung whispered frantically. "Make your move loverboy," Andy urged. "Oh I will alright," Minwoo said turning back around, waiting for her to pass their table. "I have a feeling she'll turn you down," Dongwan joked. "HAHA! That's what I'm saying!" Junjin said.

Just as the two girls walked by, Minwoo called out, "Hey girl! Wassup?"

The girl didn't bother to turn around, Andy and Hyesung looked at each other, trying not to giggle. Minwoo has never been rejected before! Junjin and Dongwan were far too surprised that they didn't care to show it. Their mouths dropped open, their
eyes wide as soup tureens.

Minwoo tried again, "Yo! Girl! Wassup?" The girl whom she was speaking with, turned around and flashed him an angry look.

"I wasn't talking to you!" Minwoo muttered under his breath. Minwoo turned back to his friends, who were trying not to laugh. He rolled his eyes. "Go ahead and laugh, I could care less," Minwoo said waving them off with his right hand.

"It's all good, like you'll ever see her again!" Junjin said, trying to make his friend feel better.

"Right," Minwoo agreed.

Chapter 2

"Somebody's in big trouble!" Minwoo muttered to himself as he entered the principal's office during passing time. Even through the closed door of his private office, he could hear Mr.Kang yelling.

"Oh, Minwoo, he's just talking to the new girl that enrolled here at Seoul High School," explained Mr.Kang's secretary, Mrs. Lim explained.

"The poor girl's not even in school yet and he's already yelling at her?"

"Oh don't worry, I believe he is talking loudly because the new girl is deaf. She reads lips, and Mr.Kang is trying to speak carefully so she'll understand," Mrs.Lim said.

Minwoo raised his eyebrows in surprise. "We're going to have a deaf person in our school?" Minwoo asked, leaning his elbows on the front desk. Mrs.Lim stared at him. "Her name is Tara Lockwood, I believe she is half white and half Korean. From the
states. And I'm sure you'll make her feel welcome," Mrs.Lim said, giving Minwoo a warning look.

"Sure I will." Although Minwoo wondered how he can make a deaf person feel welcome, who couldn't even hear feel welcome. What was he suppose to do? Write a note saying, Welcome?

"I guess she's not in trouble than," Minwoo said. "Speaking of trouble, what brings you here?" Mrs.Lim said sternly. "Oh dont worry, I came to give this note to Mr.Kang. But I'm sure you will give it to him?" Minwoo said, pulling out the envelope
from his pocket. "Sure." Mrs.Lim took the envelope and set it on her desk.

"Hi Minwoo Oppa!" A familiar voice behind Minwoo said. "Hey Amy," Minwoo said. Amy was Junjin's girlfriend. "Hello Amy, to what do we owe the pleasure of your visit today?" Mrs.Lim said cheerfully. Minwoo rolled his eyes and chuckled. People never
assumed Amy was in trouble.

"Mr.Kang wanted to speak with me," Amy said sitting down in one of the chairs.

"Ah, you do take ASL classes don't you?" Mrs.Lim asked. Amy nodded. "Well, ASL II," Amy said. "Amy sucks at ASL anyway," Minwoo said joking. "Hmmmm?" Amy said, staring at the announcement tacked to the bulletin board. "I said you suck!" Minwoo repeated. "Hmmmm?" Amy said again. "What are you, deaf?" Minwoo cried.

"That kind of remark, would be a good example not to welcome Tara," Mrs.Lim said glaring at Minwoo.

"Tara? Who is Tara?" Amy whispered. "Some new deaf girl, hey! Maybe that's why Mr.Kang wanted to speak with you, so you can like...talk to her." Minwoo guessed. Amy shrugged.

"Minwoo, so what does X equal?" Mrs.Park, the Trig teacher asked Minwoo, who was busy playing snake on his cell phone. "Huh? X what?" Minwoo said. The class burst out laughing. "Babo! Put that cell away!" Hyesung whispered slapping Minwoo on the head from behind. "Lee Minwoo, if you do not put that-" Mrs.Park was interupted by a knock
on the door, and Mr.Kang stepped into the room.

"Are we interupting anything?" He asked. "Oh no, not at all. Come in," Mrs.Park said. "Time out, Minwoo, you are lucky," Mrs.Park warned smiling. Minwoo shoved his cell into his desk and sat up straight. Mr.Kang cleared his throat. "We've got a new student joining us today, and her name is Tara Lockwood."

"I like her already, someone who interupts math is ok by me," Hyesung whispered.

"I think it's that new girl I told you about, the deaf one." Minwoo whispered, turning in his seat. "Class, meet Tara Lockwood." He held the door open, and Tara stepped in from the hallway.

Minwoo and Hyesung stared at her in disbelief. She was the deaf girl!? Minwoo and Hyesung looked at each other, with their mouths open.

Tara didn't look at all the way Minwoo imagined her, she was the girl he saw at the mall the other day. "That's her! The girl at the mall!" Hyesung cried poking Minwoo in the back on the neck. Her brown hair was straight and pulled back and clipped
partly, her hazel eyes gleamed as she smiled that brilliant white smile.

"Welcome to Seoul High School," Mrs.Park said, Minwoo noticed that she was looking directly at Tara as he spoke, saying each word slowly and distinctly.

"Class, Tara is hearing-impaired, but she can lipread quite well. She will be attending classes here in the morning, and three afternoons a week. Thursdays and Friday's she'll be going to special classes with other kids." Mr.Kang imformed.

"Amazing! She doesn't look deaf!" Hyesung whispered. Minwoo observed the room, everyone seemed a bit uncomfortable. Half were staring down at their desks, half were doodling in their notebooks. Mr.Kang turned to Tara, "Would you like to say a few words?"

Minwoo frowned, weren't deaf people usually mute? It handn't occured to him that Tara would be able to talk. She stepped forward confidentley. "Hi everybody," she said a small voice but with a bright smile. Her words wre fuzzy, but 97% of it was accurate to understand. "I'm sorry to interupt your math learning, you guys must be angry," she continued.

Everybody laughed, the tension in the class seemed to have faded.

"Well, Mrs.Park, Tara is in your hands now. Amy?" Mr.Kang called. Amy raised her hands. Tara looked at Amy, who was signing ASL to her. Tara smiled and walked over
and sat next to Amy.

Minwoo felt relieved, he was glad he didn't have that responsibilty, not that it was a bad thing but what could he possibly have in common with a girl who could not
hear?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-06-2002 04:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1TYM 4mYmiNd Click here to Send 1TYM 4mYmiNd a Private Message Find more posts by 1TYM 4mYmiNd Add 1TYM 4mYmiNd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

oh, nice story

Old Post 05-06-2002 05:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

hey this is cool ^^
haha minwoo's so cute man
i can just imagine him being all gentle with the deaf girl
i dunno why, but that just comes to mind
post more soon! ^__^

Old Post 05-06-2002 08:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lovedontloveme Click here to Send lovedontloveme a Private Message Visit lovedontloveme's homepage! Find more posts by lovedontloveme Add lovedontloveme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

what happens next.

this is such a great story

Old Post 05-07-2002 02:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1TYM 4mYmiNd

Chapter 3

Whispers, questions and comments, and rude remarks roamed around Seoul High School about Tara Lockwood, who earned the title of "The Deaf Girl."

"How the heck did she get into this school?"

"She can read lips?"

"She's really pretty, she looks normal."

"What a retard."

"It won't last long."

All day, Minwoo heard those, and he couldn't help but agree. He was glad, for Tara's sake that she was deaf. Otherwise people around school wouldn't be saying such things. But why would a deaf girl think she can fit in a regular high school? She's better off going to school with the other deaf kids, Minwoo thought as he sat in class. Aside from Tara's disability, she was beautiful as can be.

"Minwoo! Minwoo!" Minwoo turned around to Dongwan's voice, seeing him jump from books that were sitting in the hall. Fourth period was over, and second lunch was starting.

Minwoo waited paitently as Dongwan get pulled back by a teacher, getting scolded for running in the halls. Finally, he caught up.

"What's up?"

"You heard about the deaf girl right?"

Minwoo sighed. He was already getting tired of hearing about Tara. He nodded.

"So is she cute?"

"Dongwan, what if I told you we've seen this girl before?"

"Have we?"

Minwoo nodded. Dongwan immediatley caught on. "The girl at the mall!?" Dongwan cried. Minwoo nodded again. "Wow, this is just...wow!" Dongwan exclaimed. The two walked to the commons in silence.

"Ask Tara to sit with us at lunch," Ji Hye, Amy's best friend suggested. Amy sighed, she already had enough classes with Tara, the last thing she wanted to do was sit with a 'deaf girl' at lunch. "You can," Amy pointed out. Ji Hye stared at her.

"Is something wrong Amy?" Ji Hye asked, as they stood in line at lunch. "If you want Tara to sit with you at lunch, YOU go ask her then!" Amy cried, she was sick and tired of people asking questions about Tara. "Fine, I will. Not to mention, Attitude!" Ji Hye cried and went back to the lunch table. Amy growled, crossing her arms over her chest.

Ji Hye searched the lunch room, trying to find Tara. She only saw her once, but it never occured to her that Tara was the deaf girl. Ji Hye, like all others were surprised. Ji Hye even thought it was kind of cool to have someone different at school. SHe spotted Tara walking in the door, by herself.

Ji Hye fell in step beside Tara. "How do you like Seoul so far?"

Tara paused in midstride, her eyebrows knitted together. She turned to Ji Hye. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. I can only lipread if you're looking right at me." Tara said smiling. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" Ji Hye cried, feelking akward. "It's alright." Tara assured. "I was wondering if you'd like to sit with me and my friends at lunch," Ji Hye offered. "Sure, let me get my lunch first." Tara replied. "Ok, I'll be sitting over there," Ji Hye said turning and pointing to the round table in the corner.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch.." Tara's voice trailed off. Ji Hye blushed. Stupid me! "Do you see that table in the corner?" Ji Hye said slowly, pointing towards the tabvle where all her friends were seated. Tara nodded. "Go there, ok?" Ji Hye said. Tara again nodded.

Ji Hye walked back to her table, where Junjin and Amy were talking, Hyesung and Andy were eating everybody's food and Dongwan and Minwoo eating silently. Eric was
probably off with his girlfriend Yuri. "Were you talking to Tara?" Dongwan asked as Ji Hye sat down. Ji Hye nodded.

"I asked her to sit with us at lunch," Ji Hye said. Amy scoffed. Ji Hye gave her a warning look, what was her problem?

"Cool! I wanna talk to her!" Hyesung cried.

"She doesn't seem to mind talking about being deaf," Ji Hye said shrugging her shoulders. "I wonder if she was ever able to hear," Andy said. "Here she comes," Dongwan said. Tara stood at the edge of the table, Ji Hye scooted over so she could sit down. Tara had a salad, an orange and an apple and orange juice on her lunch tray.

"Tara. I'd like you to meet Junjin, Andy, Hyesung, Minwoo and Dongwan, and you already know Amy," Ji Hye said pointing to each person. "Hi," chorused the whole table. "Nice to meet you guys," Tara replied back. "I don't mind talking about my deafness," Tara said. Andy's mouth dropped open. "But you were all the way over there, how could you see from a distance?"

"As long as I can read your lips, I can understand." Tara said grinning.

Ji Hye laughed. "So you have a few advantages." Tara nodded.

Minwoo glanced up, he being the silent one at the table. He felt uncomfortable. He was speechless, he didn't offer any words to welcome Tara to the table or at school.

"How do you like school so far?" Hyesung asked. Tara turned red. She bit her bottom lip, trying to figure out what Hyesung said. "I'm sorry, we had another fadeaway. I missed some words you said," Tara said softly.

"Sorry," Hyesung said sympathetically. "It's ok, it happens all the time." Tara said.

"It must be frustrating for you," Dongwan said, his mouth moving slowly, trying as hard to distinguish every word.

"I'll be ok, I try to make the best of things," Tara said. "I don't have to wear those hearing aids though, I lost my hearing when I was 18 months old, I caught a disease called meningitis." Tara explained.

"How did you learn to speak so well?" Junjin asked. "I've been going to elite special schools for the deaf as long as I can remember. That is where I learned to lipread too," Tara answered. "It just be hard." Amy said coldly. "It is." Tara said.

"Then why do you choose to go to this school?" Minwoo said bluntly. Dongwan poked him in the side with his elbow, staring at his friend for being so rude.

"I didn't choose to, my mom wanted me to." Tara said quietly. "Is your mom Korean?" Ji Hye asked softly. Tara nodded. "So your dad is the white member in the family?" Dongwan said. Tara nodded again. "But he passed away, two years ago." Tara said.

"Why did your mom want you to go to this school?" Minwoo asked, all his friends stared at him. Why was he acting like a jerk?

"I didn't quite catch w-what you said.." Tara said softly.

Minwoo glared at her coldly. "Exactley, that's why you don't belong here."

thanks for reading.

Old Post 05-09-2002 05:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1TYM 4mYmiNd Click here to Send 1TYM 4mYmiNd a Private Message Find more posts by 1TYM 4mYmiNd Add 1TYM 4mYmiNd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

did you write this yourself? it's good.

Old Post 05-09-2002 05:33 PM
MellowYellow

whoa that's good.....

read my lips. what a clever title! very clever indeed

Old Post 05-09-2002 05:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shoujo

good fic..
post up more!! i cant wait to read the next chapter

Old Post 05-09-2002 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for shoujo Click here to Send shoujo a Private Message Find more posts by shoujo Add shoujo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1TYM 4mYmiNd

Chapter 4

"Tara! Tara!" Ji Hye cried running. Finally, 6th period was over. All day, Ji Hye couldn't stop thinking about what Minwoo had said to Tara.

"Exactley, you don't belong here...

Ji Hye expected Tara to burst into tears and run from them. But to everybody's surprise, Tara stared back at Minwoo, as if waiting for him to say more. Minwoo looked away, he gathered his belongings and left the lunchroom.

Ji Hye was so angry at Minwoo, even words can't express. But Ji Hye knew she shouldn't be angry at him, Minwoo was like that. A snob, always putting himself before others. He should atleast have the decency to be nice to a deaf girl, Ji Hye thought as she began calling out Tara's name again.

"You are sooo dumb," Yuri, Eric's girlfriend had stepped in front of Ji Hye. Ji Hye frowned, she never really liked Yuri. She was so snobby, so self-centered. All she cared was about herself and Eric.

"Now what makes you call me dumb?" Ji Hye asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Yuri mocked her. Ji Hye just wanted to kick Yuri and run, she doesn't know what Eric sees in her.

"Everybody in this school knows that girl is DEAF," Yuri stated, pointing at Tara, who was putting books in her locker. "That girl, has a name. And her name is Tara," Ji Hye responded. "Ask me if I care, if you ask me, I think she should go to a school for the retarted, mental people," Yuri snickered, looking back at Tara.

"Hey Yuri, Ask ME if I care, about what you think." Ji Hye sneered. Ji Hye pushed her way out of Yuri and jogged to Tara. She touched her shoulder, she looked up and smiled brightly at Ji Hye. Her green eyes seemed to sparkle.

"Hi Ji Hye!" Tara said, she slung her bag over her shoulder and stood up. "How are you getting home?" Ji Hye asked slowly. Tara laughed. "You dont have to talk that slow, but my mom is picking me up." Tara replied. Ji Hye was aware of the looks that she and Tara recieved from other students, but Tara didn't seem to mind one bit. Ji Hye, inspired of the Tara, brushed it off like she did.

"Hey man, what was wrong with you today?" Dongwan asked. He and the guys were chilling at Minwoo's house after school. Andy and Hyesung had fallen asleep, tired of today's hard work. Junjin was talking on the phone with Amy.

Minwoo, slouched over on the arm chair, took a drink from his glass of soda. He set it down softly. "I just think Tara shouldn't be at our school, I mean look at her, she's deaf!" Minwoo cried.

"And your point is?" Dongwan still didn't understand what Minwoo was trying to prove.

"I agree with the other students, it won't last long. Sure it was cool to have someone different but it will wear out soon. Trust me," Minwoo answered.

"Huh?"

"Everybody knows Tara will have trouble, no one can help her. Not even Amy, she's only in ASL II," Minwoo added. "The only thing people can do is just, try to like her and be nice to her."

Dongwan stared at Minwoo. He wasn't surprised by his tone of voice or his attitude. Minwoo was Mr. Know it All. But was Minwoo right?

"So Minwoo, honey, how was school today?" Mrs.Lee asked, staring at her son. "Yeah Minwoo Oppa, did you break any girl's heart today?" His little sister, seven year old Malinda chimed. MInwoo bit a loaf of his bread, glaring at her.

"There is a new girl at our school though Umma and guess what?"

"Hmm?"

"She's deaf."

"Oh really?"

"Yup."

"Hey, I have a new girl in my class too!" Malinda cried. "Yeah so? Did I ask you, you little twerp?" Minwoo cried. "Hey, no name calling." Mr.Lee said sternly, looking at his son. "Anyway Umma, her name is Mackenzie, but we call her Kenny for short," Malinda said. "Kenny? Is she not Korean?" Umma asked, frowning.

"She's half. Really pretty green eyes too."

Minwoo's ears perked up. Could Kenny be Tara's little sister?

Minwoo's mother scoffed. "Half. What's with people wanting half breeds anyway."

That's what I'm saying, if Tara weren't half or deaf I might add, maybe I'd change my mind about her.

"Minwoo, may I ask you something?" Dongwan asked, as he sat down next to Minwoo who kept his eyes on the big screen TV.

"Hmm?"

"Why are you watching TV without any sound?"

Minwoo watched a little longer. "Because, I want to see how Tara does it," he said after awhile. "That explains it," Dongwan said rolling his eyes. Minwoo soon grew
frustrated. "They talk to fast, and they turn to every direction so you can never know what they are saying," Minwoo said.

"It must be really hard for Tara then."

"I'm surprised they let her into our school," MInwoo said.

"I know what you are about to get in to...so don't even go there."

"Well, shouldn't it be for..normal people?"

Dongwan stared at Minwoo, his eyes narrowing. "I am entitled to my own opinion, alright?" Minwoo said pointing at Dongwan.

"And so is Tara. And not to mention, she's entitled to making her own decisions, and how she wants to handle it. And I am impressed by the pressure she is taking of school, especially when she is hearing-impaired." Dongwan said.

Minwoo grinned. "You like her don't you? HAHAHA! Dongwan likes a retard! Dongwan likes a retard! A deaf girl, a deaf girl!" Minwoo chanted.

Dongwan on the other hand, was getting angry, Minwoo was acting like such a child.

"I never knew you can be so immature." And with that, Dongwan left.

Minwoo's face froze, his eyes turning cold. If that deaf girl Tara gets into the way of our friendship, she will pay.

thank you for reading.

Old Post 05-11-2002 03:28 PM
MellowYellow

aww mang..... minwoo is being so mean!

Old Post 05-12-2002 11:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote