Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Literature > very good books
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
roentgen
take nothing for granted

very good books

The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust by Iris Chang

A detailed account of the war crimes Japan committed in China during WWII. It's a haunting novel with first-hand accounts and terrifying numbers. It draws upon the sources of the people who were actually there including Japanese newspapers of the time and the detailed diary of John Rabe. A nazi, and also one of the "good men of Nanking." The book is told from three different perspectives. The victims, the outside world, and the aftermath. It's really good.
there are companion books to this one that I haven't gotten to read yet:
The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe
The Rape of Nanking II (not written by Iris Chang)
The Nanjing Massacre: A Japanese Confronts Japan's National Shame

The Bridegroom by Ha Jin
Ocean of Words by Ha Jin
Under the Red Flag by Ha Jin

These three books go together. They are all comprised of short stories set in the time that Russia was still communist and China's emergence from the ancient world. Ha Jin has a very non-apologetic style of writing that can be described easily as "laying out the guts of the world," or in his case, laying out his grit with the Chinese communist government. His word choice and stories are told just as they are, nothing more and nothing less. It's very impressive, I think, his way of writing. It flows very well.

Lizard by Banana Yoshimoto

Short stories that study human nature and perception of other people. The situations are fairly ordinary but told in such a way as to make them seem more than they are.

Amrita by Banana Yoshimoto

A woman named Sakumi falls down a flight of stairs. When she wakes up, she has to learn to deal with the fact that she has no recollection of her past. She meets people that she knew well for the first time and is given a new chance to think of them a different way. Little by little, through the book, she regains her memory and a new respect for the people around her and life in general. She ponders the death of her younger sister Mayu, kindles a relationship with said sister's still living ex-boyfriend, and helps her young brother to deal with his emerging supernatural powers (they are subdued and handled in such a way that it does not take away from the book).
Overall, the story is very nice and throughtful. Worth reading at least once.

Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker

It is a speculative novel about the life of a raptor native to Utah that must resettle in more fertile lands. In the very beginning of the book, Raptor Red loses her mate and must somehow fend for herself with only half the hunting force as she had enjoyed with her consort. Later on in the novel, during her wanderings, she meets up with one of her sisters. He sister already has chicks to care for, so Raptor Red intergrates herself into their little family unit and they all set out for the great search for food. Bakker tells the story from Raptor Red's supercomputer-like mind making it seem objective as well as entertaining. It's a well-paced novel, and well-informed.

Watership Down by Richard Adams

I've only begun reading this. It's very good so far. It centers around a group of rabbits that leave their community to escape the danger posed by the never-ending development of humans. They are led by Hazel who is in turn compelled by the prophetic visions of his brother Fiver who dreams of a land far-away from people and elevated enough to see for miles around. The journey of the rabbits is steeped in tales of the enigmatic rabbit of legend El-ahrairah and his many run-ins with the sun-god Frith. Watership down has many political and historic contrasts that I don't care to name right now^^(sorry guys) You really should read it for yourselves. It's pretty cool.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-30-2002 06:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for roentgen Click here to Send roentgen a Private Message Visit roentgen's homepage! Find more posts by roentgen Add roentgen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

ooh, one of my friends is reading the rape of nanking right now. Hm hm, perhaps i'll check it out sometime.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 12-30-2002 at 07:12 AM

Old Post 12-30-2002 06:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nas

Amrita one sounds interesting, thanks for all the info.

I know you better than you think I do-don't
worry dear, this is why I fell in love with you.
The man in the looking glass, is looking back
at you at last. You can't hide from the truth
because the truth is all there is.
And the truth hurts because the truth is all there is.
I realized some time ago, that I would have to let you go...
- Handsome Boy Modeling School
*d-30

Old Post 12-30-2002 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nas Click here to Send nas a Private Message Visit nas's homepage! Find more posts by nas Add nas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ariana

Thanks for those suggestions, I am constantly looking for good reads!

Old Post 01-07-2003 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ariana Click here to Send Ariana a Private Message Find more posts by Ariana Add Ariana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnisMuiMui
Fashion Police/Mod

Re: very good books

quote:
Originally posted by roentgen
The Bridegroom by Ha Jin
Ocean of Words by Ha Jin
Under the Red Flag by Ha Jin

oohh my dad bought me one of the books by Ha Jin. i think it was "the bridegroom"....... but i havent read it yet cuz i have other books to read for school. but hopefully i'll be able to read it soon.

Old Post 01-07-2003 02:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for UnisMuiMui Click here to Send UnisMuiMui a Private Message Visit UnisMuiMui's homepage! Find more posts by UnisMuiMui Add UnisMuiMui to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roentgen
take nothing for granted

The Bridegroom is a fantastic book. It was the first book I'd ever gotten by Ha Jin. "The Bridegroom" is actually one of my favorite stories by him.

-first member-

Old Post 01-07-2003 02:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for roentgen Click here to Send roentgen a Private Message Visit roentgen's homepage! Find more posts by roentgen Add roentgen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
castle outsider

the stranger by albert camus..

this is a really good book..yea..

Old Post 01-07-2003 03:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dalgyal
eGG head :D*

'they cage the animals at night' is good and so is 'memoirs of a geisha' =]

Old Post 01-10-2003 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dalgyal Click here to Send dalgyal a Private Message Visit dalgyal's homepage! Find more posts by dalgyal Add dalgyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote