Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Entertainment > Creative Writing > A Day To Remember
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
indecisive
the Deranged one

A Day To Remember

On the day of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of every year people solemnly remember the lives lost. The focal point of this day of remembrance for most is to remember the lives lost by the allied soldiers exclusively. There are no enemies in death but this, “Remembrance Day,” does not commemorate the lives lost by the former enemies of the allied forces. Also, the poppy is a symbol of this day. There could be a far greater reason the poppy was chosen than because it was simply there on the battlefield. On this day in which we keep in mind those who have died, there are many that deserve to be remembered but never are.

On Remembrance Day we remember those patriotic men and women who lost their lives in the great wars of the millennia. Those men and women, who fought valiantly to preserve people’s lives and most importantly obtained true freedom for millions around the world, should be honoured and never forgotten. Society has chosen to immortalize all these people by giving them a day to commemorate their former existence and reflect upon people’s own lives. Although these lives will not be remembered individually, they will be forever engraved into every mind collectively which is a far greater legacy than being forgotten.

Though the lives of the fallen allied soldiers will not be forgotten, the lives of the innocent, and those of the enemy will be forgotten. The citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are not honoured in the ceremonies held on Remembrance Day. Their lives are no less significant than those of the allied forces are, nor are the lives of the allied soldiers more important than those of their enemies. These forgotten casualties of war do not exist because they were the enemy. However, was the enemy a five-year-old girl? Or was their enemy possibly an elderly couple? The enemy of the allied forces was in fact neither. These people were massacred and their homes desecrated and yet society does not remember their lost lives. Furthermore, there are no enemies among the dead, only the living. Though they were enemies, they died in the same manner and for the same reason. Simply because they believed in what they were fighting for and still they are not honoured as they should be but they are forever seen as an enemy soldier. These soldiers and people will eternally remain casualties of war and not seen as precious lives lost who fought for their beliefs just as this society’s heroes did.

“In Flanders fields the poppies blow between the crosses, row on row,
that mark our place; and in the sky.” The Poppy has become the prominent symbol of Remembrance Day. Most believe this is due to the popularity of the poem, “In Flanders Fields,” written by Doctor John Mcrae during the Second World War. There is a possibility that the poppy was chosen to symbolize the sacrifice or life to protect life itself and not simply because Doctor Mcrae saw the poppies. The main colours of poppies are red and green. In many cases red is a symbol for blood, which in turn is something, used to inadvertently conjure up a feeling of death. The colour green may symbolize life, due to the fact that when spring comes and flowers are growing there is an immense amount of green everywhere. Therefore because on a poppy red, symbolizing death, is encircling the green, symbolizing life, it is as if death and sacrifice of life are protecting life, which is in the center of the flower. Given this analogy, the selection of the poppy to remind all of death and life is nothing less than a perfect one.

It is said that, “History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.” Remembrance Day is not only a day of remembrance but of reflection and appreciation. Society is told to not forget the mistakes of it’s past and yet this circle continues. As this cycle goes on, more and more lives will be forgotten instead of honoured.

I couldn't send the file to a friend so I thot I'd post..and I figured you pplz might find this interesting too.

it's an english essay I have to hand in tomorrow.

Shift_

"cuz no matter how long U've known them or how well U think U know them..the friendship can be over in a second" ~Indecisive

"you don't realize how much of a luxury cup holders are until you don't have em" ~Indecisive

Last edited by indecisive on 11-08-2002 at 10:20 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-07-2002 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for indecisive Click here to Send indecisive a Private Message Find more posts by indecisive Add indecisive to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

Re: A Day To Remember

quote:
Originally posted by indecisive
It is said that, “History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.? Remembrance Day is not only a day of remembrance but of reflection and appreciation. Society is told to not forget the mistakes of it’s past and yet this circle continues. As this cycle goes on, more and more lives will be forgotten instead of honoured.
PUAHAHAHA... i know where thats from... watchin a lil too much gundam wing huh indecisive??? still its a nice touch... if the teacher doesn't find out... LOL

Old Post 11-07-2002 05:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

lols I was tryign to think of something to use and that popped into my head..and it totally works too hahahaha

Shift_

"cuz no matter how long U've known them or how well U think U know them..the friendship can be over in a second" ~Indecisive

"you don't realize how much of a luxury cup holders are until you don't have em" ~Indecisive

Old Post 11-07-2002 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for indecisive Click here to Send indecisive a Private Message Find more posts by indecisive Add indecisive to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

good job :thumb up:

Old Post 11-07-2002 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

wow. nice work :thumbup:

Old Post 11-07-2002 01:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eddiee
werD?

nice job :thumbup:

Old Post 11-07-2002 03:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for eddiee Click here to Send eddiee a Private Message Find more posts by eddiee Add eddiee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prototype

why 11/11 ?

Old Post 11-07-2002 06:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Prototype Click here to Send Prototype a Private Message Visit Prototype's homepage! Find more posts by Prototype Add Prototype to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dalgyal
eGG head :D*

oO nicee

Old Post 11-07-2002 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dalgyal Click here to Send dalgyal a Private Message Visit dalgyal's homepage! Find more posts by dalgyal Add dalgyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

good essay

should ve in creative writing

Old Post 11-07-2002 10:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

11/11 is veteran's day, also armistice day I believe.

Old Post 11-07-2002 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jj2
JSL Member

haha, i like ur use of the gundam quote

Old Post 11-07-2002 10:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jj2 Click here to Send Jj2 a Private Message Find more posts by Jj2 Add Jj2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

TZHS's Choir will be singing "In Flander's Fields" at Carnagie Hall in Febuary.

When we first started singing this it seemed really freaky. I looked ahead (the tenor section basically repeated the same sentences in an erie way) and told the rest of the tenors to turn to page 7 (They were talking about how this song reminds them of zombies) and they all started laughing "We are the Dead" was what is on page 7 of our score.

I read a packet and it told about McCrae. He lived in Canada and wrote this as a poem. Everyone else seems to have a hard time grasping that it's about a battlefield ever since they started making fun of zombies and stuff.

It's sad, I'll try to put more thought into it in the future. Honor those who have died for others.

Old Post 11-08-2002 04:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

it's actually supposed to be on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month there is supposed to be a moment of silence because that's when WWI ended or something like that.

I actually only posted this for my friend to read it over cuz I coudln't send her the file heh. thanks for your opinions tho pplz

Shift_

Old Post 11-08-2002 06:31 AM
saranghae

oh wow... niceee!

i never knew that.

Old Post 11-08-2002 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

thanks andrew. moved to creative writing.

Old Post 11-08-2002 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

owow.. thas nice!!

Old Post 11-08-2002 05:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indecisive
the Deranged one

hahah I handed this in yesterday and we had a choice between a poem and an essay and almost everybody did a poem and everybody who did essays wrote only like a page and mine turned out to be two pages typed.....I'd better get a good mark on this...heh

Shift_

Old Post 11-08-2002 10:22 PM
MellowYellow

don't forget to tell what grade you got... if you don't mind telling us.....

in my opinion it's good so if you're teacher gives you a bad grade... he/she is a crack whore.. lol

Old Post 11-09-2002 06:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

today i was driving on the high way and on an uhm..overpass there were all these american flags and a couple of people waving more flags

Old Post 11-12-2002 07:20 AM
XxAzNViPeRBoIxX
:GeNeRaShUn:

weird

Old Post 11-13-2002 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for XxAzNViPeRBoIxX Click here to Send XxAzNViPeRBoIxX a Private Message Find more posts by XxAzNViPeRBoIxX Add XxAzNViPeRBoIxX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote