Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Entertainment > Music > CD Reviews > Chemistry - Second To None
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tm11
down by law

Chemistry - Second To None

Not that this will make a difference to any of the forum users, but I had written this and felt like posting it anyways.

The current kings of J-R&B come through again with the aptly titled sophomore release, "Second To None." Although in reference to another person (as in a declaration of feelings for someone else, like saying "you're my second to none"), the album is cleverly titled as it's their second cd release, and it has been number one on the Oricon charts and will probably remain there for some time. This time around, there is less focus on straight up R&B songs and more on ballads, with the occasional dip into electronica, soul, blues, jazz, and accapella. Even so, CHEMISTRY still stays true to their roots of pop/r&b, and this is obvious in the fact that the majority of the songs retain the original CHEMISTRY sound. The album is formatted as the previous one was, beginning with an introlude of the duo vocalizing (the arrangment this time is definitely interesting), and then 2 different interludes included at the end of seperate tracks on the 14-track cd. It tracks the natural
progression of CHEMISTRY as artists, and it's easy to see how they have evolved through the selections available on the
disc. Track 3 of the disc, "STILL ECHO" (done in the stylings of Ketsumeishi), offers the listener a solid mid-tempo r&b song with a mellow beat that includes element of blues, while "My Gift to You" (the song penned by Skoop on Somebody), is a much slower ballad that has wintry aspects of it. Like it's predecessor, this cd includes 2 solo songs done by each of the members, Kaname Kawabata and Yoshikuni Dochin. Kawabata's song, "No Color Line," is an uplifting song about discrimination, and includes a children's choir in the chorus making the song even more powerful. Dochin's song on the other hand, strays from hip-hop and is much more minimalistic. "RIPTIDE" is purely accapella, and is done very well.
It's is a refreshing, slow song, that is another powerful delivery. It's quite easy to see that both members of CHEMISTRY have improved as singers, from their individual songs, as well as the myriad of succesful singles they've sold. Speaking of which, lest we forget the other songs on the album, which were singles and b-sides released earlier this year. All of these sold tremendously, and were the highlights of the season they were sold in. "Kimi o Sagashitetata~New Jersey United~," "Floatin'," "My Gift To You," and CHEMISTRY's best selling single of 2002, "It Takes Two / Solid Dream" are all on the album, much to my delight. The other notable tracks on the album are a wondrous piano ballad, "Tsukiyo," and one of the most interesting songs on the album, the redone version of the 2002 World Cup song, now called "Let's Get Together Now ~ TOKYO CALLING." The redone version is much more of a hip-hop/R&B song with almost staccato beats, and the tempo is upped a notch too. An intriguing break from the rest of the album. The biggest flaw of this album (which is also one of its greatest strengths), is the lack of new material. There are only 5 new songs on the album, not counting the interludes, and one is a redone version of an old song. Most fans were expecting a lot more newer material, and while they have done extensive work on their b-sides, especially releasing maxi-singles, it's a shame that didn't extend to the new album. Another surprising aspect of this album, though inconsequential, was the lack of new collaborations. While it does contain two official CHEMISTRY JOINT ###'s, it seems they've relegated most JOINTS to singles and other people's albums/works. Regardless, this is an album to add to any music lovers (whether or not a fan, it'd probably be better if you appreciated Japanese Music though) collection. Out of CHEMISTRY's musical oeuvre, this is a crown jewel not to be overlooked.

Other recommendations: SMOOTH 1, SMOOTH 2, Skoop on Somebody - S.O.S., Brown Eyes - Reason 4 Breathing?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2003 02:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhymester*
$$$$$$$$$$$

i have yet to buy the album still...but i will!! next pay day!! haha!! it sounds good!

Old Post 02-01-2003 05:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhymester* Click here to Send rhymester* a Private Message Find more posts by rhymester* Add rhymester* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhymester*
$$$$$$$$$$$

hey tommy i listened through the cd at HMV...hmm i dont like a lot of the tracks. too slow and boring! sorry dude, not for me!

[exile's album is BETTER!! hwahahahahaha]

Old Post 03-25-2003 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhymester* Click here to Send rhymester* a Private Message Find more posts by rhymester* Add rhymester* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

yeah, if you're not into ballads then you might not like this album, and you probably will prefer their first, but I still liked the album. Exile's album's not bad, but I still like Chemistry more haha.

Old Post 03-25-2003 06:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhymester*
$$$$$$$$$$$

yea chemistry's first album was good!!~

i do like ballads, like GOSPELLERS one!! hehe!! You havent evened finished listening to Exile's album!! Not fair cannot judge yet!!

Old Post 03-26-2003 02:24 AM