Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Literature > what are you reading right now?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
aaqthree
3 Newtons

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.

At first i found it too elementary and cringed at greene's tendency to make everything tangible by mentioning the reader far too often, but now he has subsided and the ideas more interesting, concepts more tangible, and the way he writes is eloquent and witty. It also is great because he possesses a great deal of self-conviction and does not ride the idealism train. He continually points out shortcomings. It is a good read, i am about 3/4 through it now, i shoudl finish it by school starting.

Heh, interesting, cuz I've been reading The Elegant Universe. It's not the best reading in the world, but it's decent. I definitely don't get the sense that he's pointing out the shortcomings a lot though. Don't really hold him accountable for that, since that's not really what I was looking for, but yeah, interesting that (you think) he seems to do that in that one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-29-2006 06:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

in the elegant universe i do not recall him pointing out a whole lot of shortcomings, but he definately did. Usually it is just the way he progresses his book, he just goes chronologically. He starts with what people thought and published, what happened and why it was wrong, then presents another solution that happened in history that works in some aspects but not necessarily all aspects.

In the elegant universe, he gets excited and forgets to look down sometimes when he is sailing in the clouds with string theory, but he oft mentions what is missing from string theory, and many times he will direct the reader towards the future...telling us that it is hopefully only a matter of time before some particle accelerator in the future will detect super partner particles, or that a graviton is found, etc. Withstanding it all, he does not hide the fact that there is no confirmation from string theory in the experimental realm, so that is always nice.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-02-2006 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote