Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > buddha bless
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rOnin warriOr

buddha bless

mmm.. it seems to me that everyone ( well mostly )

is either christen or catholic, im just wondering if everyone hEre

ish buddist ? cuz i aM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2002 08:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rOnin warriOr Click here to Send rOnin warriOr a Private Message Visit rOnin warriOr's homepage! Find more posts by rOnin warriOr Add rOnin warriOr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eddiee
werD?

my parents are

Old Post 12-08-2002 04:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for eddiee Click here to Send eddiee a Private Message Find more posts by eddiee Add eddiee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhymester*
$$$$$$$$$$$

if i were to choose a religion, i would choose buddhism

Old Post 12-08-2002 06:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhymester* Click here to Send rhymester* a Private Message Find more posts by rhymester* Add rhymester* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

quote:
Originally posted by LiLbLuEaZnBoY
my parents are

so... are u atheist

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

i heard Buddhism isn't realli a religion but thaz it's more way of life. sorri if i seem ignorant, but do Buddhists worship a God or do they just pay homage to Buddha? like do they pray to him and stuff? just curious ^^

Old Post 12-09-2002 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eddiee
werD?

theres like alot of different ones...i dunno how to explain..

Old Post 12-09-2002 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eddiee Click here to Send eddiee a Private Message Find more posts by eddiee Add eddiee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by daNNy LuV 1TYM
i heard Buddhism isn't realli a religion but thaz it's more way of life.

Many cultures have a different perception of "religion" than the one most of us inheiret from living in a western culture. Christianity is unique among the big three religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) in that it encourages an orthodoxy, or rather, a "right way of thinking." This can be traced back to the Sermon on the Mount given by Jesus (e.g. "Thou shalt not think lustful thoughts"). Other cultures in the world, such as the Jewish religion or Islam stresses an orthopraxy, or "right practice/action." To them, their religion is not a way of thinking, but rather is a set of rules on how to live your life, essentially, a lawbook. Let's take Judaism for example. A jew doesn't have to believe in one "God" in order to gain entrance into heaven. All he/she must do is follow the rules set by the torah. Its about, "do this, this, and this, and you're good," rather than "believe this and you're good." Christians smite down non-believers as heathens that would not be able to enter heaven. Religions such as Judaism are different. Again, its the belief of an Orthodoxy versus an Orthopraxy.
So, in conclusion, to say that "its a way of life, not a religion" is really a one-sided, biased view of how one should look at various beliefs around the world. Western civilization has warped the word "religion" to suit its own desires and developments, instead of recognizing the differences in percieving religion and its affect on life that are present among different cultures.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-10-2002 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
Other cultures in the world, such as the Jewish religion or Islam stresses an orthopraxy, or "right practice/action." To them, their religion is not a way of thinking, but rather is a set of rules on how to live your life, essentially, a lawbook. Let's take Judaism for example. A jew doesn't have to believe in one "God" in order to gain entrance into heaven. All he/she must do is follow the rules set by the torah.

judaism stresses the importance of beliving in God very strongly.
http://www.jewfaq.org/g-d.htm
i believe most religions hav the prerequisite of believing in its creator. of course there are sets of rules that one must follow, but that is onli part of gaining entrance to heaven. you hav to believe as well.

"Buddhism is sometimes said to be an agnostic religion. Certainly there is no concept of God as the vindictive, judgemental, time-subservient warlord of the Old Testament.
Buddhism has ethical objections to the idea of a God who throws infidels and sinners into everlasting torment. The Buddhist ideal is that of the Enlightened Being, who has vowed to save all sentient beings from their suffering.
What also causes problems is that Buddhism is as much a philosophy as it is a religion, and does not adopt logically inconsistent doctrines. The concept of an 'inherently-existent' God is fraught with difficulties."
http://home.btclick.com/scimah/God.htm

Old Post 12-12-2002 02:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
judaism stresses the importance of beliving in God very strongly.

Your source site does not address the idea of non-believers getting into heaven

Keep in mind that I wasn't disputing your claim that Buddhism wasn't a religion. I was merely critiquing the discourse you use to put out that idea.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Last edited by Crazydeb8ter on 12-12-2002 at 03:39 AM

Old Post 12-12-2002 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
Your source site does not address the idea of non-believers getting into heaven

Keep in mind that I wasn't disputing your claim that Buddhism wasn't a religion. I was merely critiquing the discourse you use to put out that idea.

hmm. so it duzn't. but i'm Catholic and i alwaize thot non-believers could get into heaven...thaz wut i believe purgatory is for...

o well. i've alwaize had a question...wut ezactly is Enlightenment and how do u achieve it?

Old Post 12-12-2002 04:02 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
thaz wut i believe purgatory is for...

Purgatory is a far cry from heaven

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-12-2002 04:33 AM