Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > Homework Help > this question looks easy but its not! please help(an it's not physics)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hRt41

this question looks easy but its not! please help(an it's not physics)

a train travels from A to B with u km/hr and back from B to A with v km/hr. what is its average speed of the whole journey?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-2005 03:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hRt41 Click here to Send hRt41 a Private Message Find more posts by hRt41 Add hRt41 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaqthree
3 Newtons

Basically, average speed should just be the total distance travelled divided by the time. Total distance travelled is 2 * distance between A and B. The time you can figure out in terms of u, v, and distance.

Let's call the distance between A and B d.

d = (average speed) * (time)
= u(t1)
= v(t2)

t1 = d/u, t2 = d/v

Average speed = (2d) / (d/u + d/v) = 2 / (1/u + 1/v)

That equals 2uv / (u + v) after you do the algebra on that.

EDIT:

I should note that you have to be absolutely certain that the question is asking about average speed and not average velocity, because the average velocity on this would be zero (average velocity is displacement over time, and there's no displacement).

Old Post 04-09-2005 06:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

quote:
Originally posted by aaqthree
Basically, average speed should just be the total distance travelled divided by the time. Total distance travelled is 2 * distance between A and B. The time you can figure out in terms of u, v, and distance.

Let's call the distance between A and B d.

d = (average speed) * (time)
= u(t1)
= v(t2)

t1 = d/u, t2 = d/v

Average speed = (2d) / (d/u + d/v) = 2 / (1/u + 1/v)

That equals 2uv / (u + v) after you do the algebra on that.

EDIT:

I should note that you have to be absolutely certain that the question is asking about average speed and not average velocity, because the average velocity on this would be zero (average velocity is displacement over time, and there's no displacement).

Wow! AMAZING math skills, dude!

Old Post 04-15-2005 08:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for garciaas Click here to Send garciaas a Private Message Visit garciaas's homepage! Find more posts by garciaas Add garciaas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by garciaas
Wow! AMAZING math skills, dude!

haha, with the amusement that evoked in you, i am sure the "sciences" field a SHC is not missing much when you chose not to do science.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 04-15-2005 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
haha, with the amusement that evoked in you, i am sure the "sciences" field a SHC is not missing much when you chose not to do science.

I still have to do science. I'm taking INTEGRATED though! Why should I choose to do Biology when I did Biology already at my previous school? And the way how the system is set up.......you can't just take chemistry or physics.......you have to take all three of them...... for 2 years! I would have chosen to do the sciences, but my parents advised me and said that I SHOULD do integrated science. I always ask for their opinion. It's a wise thing to do

Old Post 04-18-2005 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for garciaas Click here to Send garciaas a Private Message Visit garciaas's homepage! Find more posts by garciaas Add garciaas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
I still have to do science. I'm taking INTEGRATED though! Why should I choose to do Biology when I did Biology already at my previous school? And the way how the system is set up.......you can't just take chemistry or physics.......you have to take all three of them...... for 2 years! I would have chosen to do the sciences, but my parents advised me and said that I SHOULD do integrated science. I always ask for their opinion. It's a wise thing to do

yeah, don't want your courseload to be too tough now do we girly? You probably should take integrated, becausei your parents obviously understand your limitations.

So many "..."'s, it makes you sound imbecillic, as if the idea of you taking...OMG....THREE science classes for two years is daunting beyond your imagination.

Your school is easy, i have never heard anyone say it was hard except you (heard from people who attend your school obviously). No one is impressed by the dumbass workload you have been speaking of.

What do you plan on doing after college with your major in "sciences"...become some general "scientist"? I mean, we always need lab assistants, it's cool someone wants to major in that.

You took bio in high school, haha. I think bio might be the same in high school as it is in most colleges (aside from the lack of material in comparison). But, from my experience, you learn a lot more in college than they tell you in high school in regards to other sciences. I know a girl that took Organic Chemistry in high school, thinking she was the shit just becasue she all ready took it, only for her to fail so horribly it was shameful. High school was mostly a joke.

Finally, you misunderstsood my incendiary remark to you. What i meant is, that the world of science will not miss you because you are a dumb bitch who will be nothing great in the field.

btw, good luck with Calculus I.

-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 04-19-2005 at 03:53 AM

Old Post 04-19-2005 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaqthree
3 Newtons

Eh, I took bio and AP Bio in high school, AP Bio had much, much more material in it.

Still a worthless class and an easy 5, but yeah.

I'd assume college level bio would have more material, but yeah I haven't taken that.

Physics is much, much worse in college than it is in HS, a lot more material condensed into less time.

BTW, is she still claiming to be 24/25? Or has she admitted that she's only 11 yet?

Old Post 04-19-2005 04:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
[B]yeah, don't want your courseload to be too tough now do we girly? You probably should take integrated, becausei your parents obviously understand your limitations.

HA MY limitations? I don't have ANY!

Old Post 04-20-2005 11:34 PM
garciaas
Real Model Artist

[B]

So many "..."'s, it makes you sound imbecillic, as if the idea of you taking...OMG....THREE science classes for two years is daunting beyond your imagination.

According to what I've heard, it is! Some TEACHERS who had taken that option said it was pretty difficult. They failed misserably. The school has a yearly parent-student conference for second year students. They spend a whole DAY warning parents and studenst about the sciences. They tell parents that if their child is getting less that 3.0 average, they should not take 3 sciences. They say how some people are "left brain" and others are "right brain". The're actually trying to terrorize the students! I'm not "afraid" or "scared" to take those subjects. Science is my 2nd favorite subject (Math is my absolute FAVORITE ever since I came to SHC). To tell you the truth, got 96% on Biology at the END of the year. Now you might say that that's nothing because the system was easy. If the system was so easy, how comes more than half of the class failed? I guess more than half of the class must be classified as "dumb."

Old Post 04-20-2005 11:44 PM
garciaas
Real Model Artist

[B]

Your school is easy, i have never heard anyone say it was hard except you (heard from people who attend your school obviously). No one is impressed by the dumbass workload you have been speaking of.

You can say anything.....but there's absolutely NO proof that you've heard of the opinions of past students at SHC. Any names?

Old Post 04-20-2005 11:47 PM
garciaas
Real Model Artist

[B]

What do you plan on doing after college with your major in "sciences"...become some general "scientist"? I mean, we always need lab assistants, it's cool someone wants to major in that.

My dream is to become a University Professor in the U.S. One who teaches other teachers how to teach.

Old Post 04-20-2005 11:49 PM
garciaas
Real Model Artist

[B]

You took bio in high school, haha. I think bio might be the same in high school as it is in most colleges (aside from the lack of material in comparison). But, from my experience, you learn a lot more in college than they tell you in high school in regards to other sciences. I know a girl that took Organic Chemistry in high school, thinking she was the shit just becasue she all ready took it, only for her to fail so horribly it was shameful. High school was mostly a joke.

One case does not justify ALL cases!

Old Post 04-20-2005 11:51 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Who the hell has ever heard of fucking Sacred Heart College and its academic intensiveness? Is that school even ranked?

-Cromwell

Old Post 04-21-2005 08:15 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
[B]

You can say anything.....but there's absolutely NO proof that you've heard of the opinions of past students at SHC. Any names?

No no no!!! i can't reveal things like names online! what if you are a serial killer or something! omigosh!!! waht are you thinking babo??!?

-Cromwell

Old Post 04-21-2005 08:17 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
[B]

According to what I've heard, it is! Some TEACHERS who had taken that option said it was pretty difficult. They failed misserably. The school has a yearly parent-student conference for second year students. They spend a whole DAY warning parents and studenst about the sciences. They tell parents that if their child is getting less that 3.0 average, they should not take 3 sciences. They say how some people are "left brain" and others are "right brain". The're actually trying to terrorize the students! I'm not "afraid" or "scared" to take those subjects. Science is my 2nd favorite subject (Math is my absolute FAVORITE ever since I came to SHC). To tell you the truth, got 96% on Biology at the END of the year. Now you might say that that's nothing because the system was easy. If the system was so easy, how comes more than half of the class failed? I guess more than half of the class must be classified as "dumb."

How about this, i got a perfect score in calc i, calc ii, calc iii, mechanics physics, and nearly a perfect score in Differential equations. I have gotten the high score in my physics340 class on our two midterms, and a 26% was an A in this particular class last semester (i know someone who took it last semester).

I am thinking that, yes, half the class must be dumb. What's the rank of your school again?

Biology is easy, and never anything to brag about unless you are getting into higher bio courses. Allow me to quote a tshirt i saw the other day:

"If AP chem was any easier, it'd be called AP bio"

-Cromwell

Old Post 04-21-2005 08:21 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
How about this, i got a perfect score in calc i, calc ii, calc iii, mechanics physics, and nearly a perfect score in Differential equations. I have gotten the high score in my physics340 class on our two midterms, and a 26% was an A in this particular class last semester (i know someone who took it last semester).

I am thinking that, yes, half the class must be dumb. What's the rank of your school again?

Biology is easy, and never anything to brag about unless you are getting into higher bio courses. Allow me to quote a tshirt i saw the other day:

"If AP chem was any easier, it'd be called AP bio"

"If it can't fit on the front of a T-shirt, it probably isn't true." - Bingham

Old Post 04-21-2005 03:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

quote:
Who the hell has ever heard of fucking Sacred Heart College and its academic intensiveness? Is that school even ranked?

Boy oh boy......you sure don't get it! You have to LIVE here to know about it! SHC is the best in the Cayo district in terms of not only academic excellence, but in extra-curricular activities as well!

Old Post 04-22-2005 11:10 PM
garciaas
Real Model Artist

quote:
Boy oh boy......you sure don't get it! You have to LIVE here to know about it! SHC is the best in the Cayo district in terms of not only academic excellence, but in extra-curricular activities as well!
Maybe you didn't know this, but Catholic schools are tough.

Old Post 04-22-2005 11:11 PM
garciaas
Real Model Artist

quote:
No no no!!! i can't reveal things like names online! what if you are a serial killer or something! omigosh!!! waht are you thinking babo??!?

HAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!! It's not babo, it's BOBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHA!

Anyways, without concrete evidence (i.e. names), you won't get ME to believe you!

Old Post 04-22-2005 11:13 PM
garciaas
Real Model Artist

[B]How about this, i got a perfect score in calc i, calc ii, calc iii, mechanics physics, and nearly a perfect score in Differential equations. I have gotten the high score in my physics340 class on our two midterms, and a 26% was an A in this particular class last semester (i know someone who took it last semester).

Hell, that's easy to do! It's very easy to say all this (i.e. that you got this grade in that subject, etc.) I am simply not convinced. Try and establish "concrete" evidence. Then maybe I'll believe you. Hey, you might not even care to do so. I'm just saying this if you really want to persuade me into believing that you got "perfect scores" is a particular subject/s.

Old Post 04-22-2005 11:18 PM