Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > Homework Help > Genocide.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
twinkie
twinkie

Genocide.

i'm writing a paper on genocide and i really need help getting it started...i suck at intros.
i have to state my opinion on whether or not the Great Irish Famine was a genocide<i do>. And i have to compare it to the Holocaust. i can't have any personal position in this...making it hard for me. Anybody willing to help me write an intro or help me come up with a strong thesis? :huh: plz?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-11-2002 05:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for twinkie Click here to Send twinkie a Private Message Find more posts by twinkie Add twinkie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

wtf, you mean when all the Irish died because of starvation? That isn't genocide

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 11-11-2002 06:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

please please don't compare the irish potato famine to the holocaust, that is not a good idea. The irish potato famine was not caused by some entity deliberately trying to wipe out another group of people.
I think comparing the irish potato famine to the holocaust would be an example of trivialization of the holocaust, and just seems fundamentally flawed overall.

I know this isn't much help to the paper your writing, but in my opinion, I'd advise you to do some more research and fully consider your opinion before writing your paper.

Old Post 11-11-2002 06:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yeah, that is not genocide at all.

And agreeing with tommy, yeah that's terrible. I really don't even like that word, holocaust. It means in some language i believe "holy sacrifice" or something, by that definition we're basically calling the death of all the jews, gypsies, homosexuals, and whoever else died in the hitler genocide the work of god. Furthermore, it puts the nazi's in the position of the workers of god. Bah, i really don't like that at all. I think it's really insulting to compare a famine to the hitler genocide.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 11-11-2002 07:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
twinkie
twinkie

well...the Irish Faminez the main focus for my paper. I guess i should disagree to it being a genocide, but what 20th century genocide should i compare it to? thanx for ur responses.

Old Post 11-11-2002 08:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for twinkie Click here to Send twinkie a Private Message Find more posts by twinkie Add twinkie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

you can't. Compare it to other starvations. The irish potato famine was not genocide.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 11-11-2002 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yeah exactly, don't compare it to another genocide, cause it doesn't work at all. If you are going to compare them, contrast them and say how they are different. That could work

How about another starvation like...hmmm i don't know sorry.

-Cromwell

Old Post 11-11-2002 08:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
twinkie
twinkie

thanx! (for such quick responses)

Old Post 11-11-2002 08:13 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
yeah, that is not genocide at all.

And agreeing with tommy, yeah that's terrible. I really don't even like that word, holocaust. It means in some language i believe "holy sacrifice" or something, by that definition we're basically calling the death of all the jews, gypsies, homosexuals, and whoever else died in the hitler genocide the work of god. Furthermore, it puts the nazi's in the position of the workers of god. Bah, i really don't like that at all. I think it's really insulting to compare a famine to the hitler genocide.

It means an sacrifice that is consumed by flames. Is sort of fits as people were burned. (That's why the derogatory term for homosexual comes from "bundle of sticks")

Old Post 11-11-2002 09:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

It means an sacrifice that is consumed by flames. Is sort of fits as people were burned. (That's why the derogatory term for homosexual comes from "bundle of sticks")

oh nice, the bundle of sticks bit, that makes a lot of sense now.

-Cromwell

Old Post 11-11-2002 09:21 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Re: Genocide.

quote:
Originally posted by twinkie
i'm writing a paper on genocide and i really need help getting it started...i suck at intros.
i have to state my opinion on whether or not the Great Irish Famine was a genocide<i do>. And i have to compare it to the Holocaust. i can't have any personal position in this...making it hard for me. Anybody willing to help me write an intro or help me come up with a strong thesis? :huh: plz?

When is this due?

Old Post 11-25-2002 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jesus

quote:
thanx! (for such quick responses)

Your welcome

Old Post 12-02-2002 02:31 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

quote:
well...the Irish Faminez the main focus for my paper. I guess i should disagree to it being a genocide, but what 20th century genocide should i compare it to? thanx for ur responses.

it isnt a genocide

Old Post 12-02-2002 08:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote