Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > Homework Help > need help on english terms...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
saranghae

need help on english terms...

i looked these words in the dictionary... but i still don't understand what they mean... can someone give me an example or something... i really need this cuz they're due when school starts.... and that's like 2 weeks from now.

met·a·phor (mµt“…-fôr”, -f…r) n. 1. Abbr. met., metaph. A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare).

al·lit·er·a·tion (…-ląt”…-rł“sh…n) n. The repetition of the same consonant sounds or of different vowel sounds at the beginning of words or in stressed syllables, as in “on scrolls of silver snowy sentences”

as·so·nance (˛s“…-n…ns) n. 1. Resemblance of sound, especially of the vowel sounds in words, as in: “that dolphin-torn, that gong-tormented sea”

rep·e·ti·tion (rµp”ą-tąsh“…n) n. Abbr. rep. 1. The act or process or an instance of repeating or being repeated. 2. A recitation or recital, especially of prepared or memorized material

sym·bol·ism (sąm“b…-ląz”…m) n. 1. The practice of representing things by means of symbols or of attributing symbolic meanings or significance to objects, events, or relationships.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-15-2002 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rYcePuFf
:D

Re: need help on english terms...

omg... my english teacher spent soo much time on these last year... >.<

metaphor ...

like i could say, "Mark is the eagle in the sky"...
meaning that he has the power or authority or whatever it could mean... but if you said "Mark is like the eagle" that would only be a simile

alliteration ...

something like "small stars stood still sounding silent in the sky"... so that most of the words start with the same sound... or you could say "cats can't catch cotton candy"

assonance ...

this one is kind of harder to recongize, but its like the same vowel sounds without all rhyming... "hi, i know silent lying might be kind of fighting" (ok that didnt make any sense at all, but a lot of the words had the "i" sound)

repetition ...

it's prolly used more in poems, like one by edgar alan poe.. in some crazy poem that he wrote when he was high... it has a few lines and then it goes "the bells bells bells bells bells bells bells" and some more words and then "the bells bells bells bells bells bells" or something like that...

symbolism ...

let's say in cinderella, the glass slipper.. it could symbolize something special but so fragile that only cinderella has that no one else could have.. like her patience and humility and beauty or whatever.. but through that, the prince could recognize her... kinda make sense?

*whew*... .i duno why i just said all that... but anyways... i hope it helps

Old Post 08-16-2002 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rYcePuFf Click here to Send rYcePuFf a Private Message Find more posts by rYcePuFf Add rYcePuFf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

thank you sooo much! that really helped a lot! hehe... my teacher spent some time on that too... but i forgot all about it... too busy talking

Old Post 08-16-2002 03:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote