Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Literature > reccomended reading
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kryogenix
Ghost

reccomended reading

are there any good books that you've read? ha, i'm only trying to bring life to literature

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-22-2003 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnisMuiMui
Fashion Police/Mod

Confessions of a Shopaholic... all 3 books in the series

ok for real now......
umm...
Waiting by Ha Jin
Plainsong by kent Haruf
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

by the way, didnt we already have a thread like this?

Old Post 09-23-2003 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for UnisMuiMui Click here to Send UnisMuiMui a Private Message Visit UnisMuiMui's homepage! Find more posts by UnisMuiMui Add UnisMuiMui to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

Old Post 09-24-2003 12:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 09-24-2003 12:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaqthree
3 Newtons

Stuff I've read this year that I'd recommend:
Dante's Inferno
Michel de Montaigne's Essays (even though it's not really fiction, it's definitely very interesting)
Shakespeare's King Lear
Cervantes' Don Quixote (very long, but really interesting)
Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment (haven't finished this yet but it's awesome. goes by quickly too, hard to put down)

Others I'd recommend:
Orwell's 1984
Salinger's Catcher in the Rye
Conrad's Heart of Darkness (short but very, very dense reading)
Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Trilogy (all five of them)
Asimov's Foundation Trilogy (there's a fourth one but in my mind that never happened)
Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game

Old Post 04-09-2005 07:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by aaqthree

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game

Dude in Enchantment the main character wasn't as badass as Ender, and Ender was a kid too.

Old Post 04-10-2005 06:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

THE FOUNTAINHEAD by Ayn Rand

EAST OF EDEN by I forget who and I don't want to go look cuz I'm lazy.

That confessions of a shopoholic book pissed me off. how can you NOT pay your bills and just BUY stuff without thinking? SPend money to make money, only in investments -_-; whatever.

uhm...

WHITE OLEANDER by Janet Fitch was alright. I think they made it into a movie? it's a chick flick/book. some nice passages though.

ANGELS AND DEMONS by Dan Brown. The Da Vinci Code, I found, is overrated. Angels and Demons is much better I think. It's like a huge puzzle, and it's amazing how everything started to fall in place as the story progressed.

I don't remember the others I've read.

Oh, I'm reading LIARS POKER by Michael Lewis. It's actually pretty good if you're into buying and sellling in the economy. Lewis tells his story and it seems so fictional, very sarcastic and funny.

Old Post 08-10-2005 07:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kRypTic_nABi Click here to Send kRypTic_nABi a Private Message Find more posts by kRypTic_nABi Add kRypTic_nABi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote