Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Dance > popping and Raving.. whats the dif?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AZN Pinoy BOI
..:SeNsei-Kun

popping and Raving.. whats the dif?

whats the difference between the both? I rave and people say they pop... whats the diff?

wana chat?
aim: LiQUiD PhLiP o1
xanga: AZNpinoyBOI

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-10-2002 05:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AZN Pinoy BOI Click here to Send AZN Pinoy BOI a Private Message Visit AZN Pinoy BOI's homepage! Find more posts by AZN Pinoy BOI Add AZN Pinoy BOI to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

rave is.. rave
isnt popping like .. breakdancing?

Old Post 11-10-2002 05:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiNkyChipMunk

dumb question sorrie..hahaha

its liek two totally diff thangs

Old Post 11-10-2002 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ChiNkyChipMunk Click here to Send ChiNkyChipMunk a Private Message Visit ChiNkyChipMunk's homepage! Find more posts by ChiNkyChipMunk Add ChiNkyChipMunk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

ravin is usin those glowstix and stuff and moving ur hands and feet in wut loox like geometric patterns to me u noe, cuz u rave. and it's to techno/trance music
poppin is more like doin the harlem shake and cwalkin and to hip hop/ rn b music. it's like...movin ur shoulders jerky movements so quickly that it loox like ur shoulders are "poppin" wen u move in2 one position and then move realli quickly in2 anothr one. u noe wut i mean? sorri, i dunno if i explained that very well but they're 2 very diff things. poppin is hard yo - it's like u gotta be born w it cuz u can't exactly learn it

Old Post 11-10-2002 07:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

uh ok

from my knowledge
poppin is short for pop and lock. which is basically what michael jackson does. the pop.. and lock.. get it? its what all the h.o.t. people used to do .. its spawned from break dancing

raving from my knowledge
is associated with any of the glowstick movements.. and the bouncing.. and sometimes the liquid which is sorta like glowsticking isnt it?

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 11-10-2002 07:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hip hOp Yu Ja

quote:
Originally posted by KeN VeRsUs RyU
uh ok

from my knowledge
poppin is short for pop and lock. which is basically what michael jackson does. the pop.. and lock.. get it? its what all the h.o.t. people used to do .. its spawned from break dancing

raving from my knowledge
is associated with any of the glowstick movements.. and the bouncing.. and sometimes the liquid which is sorta like glowsticking isnt it?

dats ryte~ ^^ well... raving ish reallie broad and has a lot of different types of it.. glowsticking, footwork, bouncing, liquid N hand movements, etc etc... while popping ish lyk wut sang cheon oppa said... pop N lock N mostly fuh breakin~ but it kan be incorporated wif techno/trance too...

"Me I'm into being like #1 Korean, I represent the Seoul and every yellow human being" ... DT...

Old Post 11-10-2002 09:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hip hOp Yu Ja Click here to Send hip hOp Yu Ja a Private Message Find more posts by hip hOp Yu Ja Add hip hOp Yu Ja to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

pop is like yoo bounce around and make it all solid and stiff.. while keeping your flow smooth. more like dance.

rave is flowing wit tha song. goin wit tha beat of tha track. bumpin and flowing. bumping to techno

Old Post 11-11-2002 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
azn0monk
mystupidSNfromwayback

Popping is in a way moving energy through your entire body. either a wave or theres locking/robot.

raving is simply the FIGURE EIGHT, liquiding is the step beyond raving, where everything flows extremely smooth (threading, fission etc) but photon raving does not require one to know how to liquid.

sometimes people who liquid are considered raving..it gets a bit interchanged

to sum everything up

RAVING is much like techno, repetitive yet consistent and to every beat

LIQUIDING is moving away from that (more towards progressive trance/breakbeatz)
and POPPING gives you style, (can be done in various things, probably not techno tho)

my crew uses all 3, like..

the liquid pop collective

they combine em all

Old Post 11-12-2002 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for azn0monk Click here to Send azn0monk a Private Message Find more posts by azn0monk Add azn0monk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

huh... raving... many people come under the misconception the only way to "rave dance" is to use photons and glow sticks making stupid movements... these light show equipment was originally spawned from the usage of the drug E... the drug hightens senses making these lights even more bright and such making it nice to stare out while your rollin... this is in my opinion far from the true heart of ravin... thats just gay... people who dance at raves can pass for other types of dancing... raving is quite broad as you can do what ever dance you wish in a rave, theres no set way of dancing... but a dance that has come out of raving is the jungle dancin, its looks wild and uncontrolled but very awesome to look at... it takes alot of foot work, gliding, hoppin, and alot more hand moves... if you see people doin liquid and the "figure 8" thats just the main stream crap that the teeny boppers learn to look like your some raver... puah, it makes me laugh... before ravin went main stream and the drugs ruined the scene you wouldn't have seen a single person bustin with firgure 8s and glow sticks... all that is crap

Old Post 11-12-2002 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
*~JoEy~*
. . .

For all you uneducated peoples out there. . .
Raving is not near close to popping
Ravers either "Liquid" or go "glowsticking"
Ravers pop too (or at least try )
Liquid is when they do the fluid movements with their hands such as making them waves with their hands they have a "liquid" movement to it unlike "popping" where you actually "pop" you stiffin your muscles and lock your body in place.

POPPING IS NOT LOCKING!!!!!
AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS POP-LOCKING
YOU EITHER POP OR LOCK! END OF STORY!

"Locking" is like the funk style of dance, it was created by. . .
Don Cambell while trying to do the funky chicken stumbled on to
what is known as "Locking" (First professional 'street' dance)
Locking has moves like the "uncle sam points" to "wrist rolls"
It's fast and it's a non-stop dance ou just go til you done with your routine.

"Poping" has many styles to it
popping - the basic style where you "pop" your body
close to the robot, but in popping less robotic and tightening of the muscles

hitting - is more "sloppy" if you will, harder popping, bigger movements

Struting - is a continuous movement example: walking but in
a series of motions

IT IS BETTER TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE FOR POPPING & LOCKING
GO TO A B-BOY EVENT LIKE FREESTYLE SESSION OR B-BOY SUMMIT
SOME ILL ASS EVENTS OUT IN CALI
YOU'LL SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE DANCE FROM THE RAVERS

I know you all know glowsticking, it's basically waving glowsticks around whether it be on string or hand
then they got these cats that use lights now a days which is
pretty dope if they do it right(same usage as the glowstick)

ON ANOTHER NOTE

YOU CAN'T COMBINE!!!!!
YOU MAY ADD DIFFERENT STYLES LIKE FROM POPPING YOU GO
INTO HITTING AND THEN GO OUT AND LOCK. PEOPL SEEM TO "COMBINE" EVERYTHING LIKE "POPLOCKING" OR WHATEVER
"LIQUID POP" IS DIFFERENT IT'S NOT EVEN A COMBO.

"rave is flowing wit tha song. goin wit tha beat of tha track. bumpin and flowing. bumping to techno" - Street RSX

YOU GO WITH THE BEAT WITH EVERY DANCE!!
YOU POP TO THE RIGHT MUSIC YOU LOCK TO THE RIGHT MUSIC
NOT ONLY "RAVE" DANCE DO.

POPPING AND LOCKING ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS AND THERE A PART OF B-BOYIN (BREAKIN OR BREAK-DANCING AS YOU LIKE TO CALL IT) BREAK DANCING WAS THE TERM THAT WAS POPULARIZED BY THE MEDIA IT'S ORIGINALLY CALLED B-BOYING AND STILL IS TODAY STOP CALLING IT BREAK-DANCING

B-BOYING HAS DIFF. PARTS TO IT
POPPING
LOCKING
POWER MOVES
UPROCK
DOWNROCK (FOOT WORK; STYLE)
THEY ARE ALL SEPERATE THINGS BUT ALL PART OF B-BOYIN

Hmmmm. . . sorry for sounding like i'm yelling but i'm really not although i am a bit upset on how people mix things up but this was just to give you the "truth" just givin ya some edumacation
for ya heads out there.

Peace, One Love, GOD Bless!

if you have any questions on hip-hop e-mail me or something or ask me at the next hip-hop conference!

KGB CREW & ALL CITY PRODUCTIONS

Scream!!! FOB Style

Old Post 11-12-2002 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for *~JoEy~* Click here to Send *~JoEy~* a Private Message Visit *~JoEy~*'s homepage! Find more posts by *~JoEy~* Add *~JoEy~* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
*~JoEy~*
. . .

Oh yea for you b-boys and b-girls the 2002 battle of the year international competition~
Korea won first

Scream!!! FOB Style

Old Post 11-12-2002 01:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for *~JoEy~* Click here to Send *~JoEy~* a Private Message Visit *~JoEy~*'s homepage! Find more posts by *~JoEy~* Add *~JoEy~* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

quote:
Originally posted by *~JoEy~*
Oh yea for you b-boys and b-girls the 2002 battle of the year international competition~
Korea won first

o werrd yea!! and they also won first in 96 i think..

Old Post 11-12-2002 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
*~JoEy~*
. . .

uh. . . . not really, the official battle of the year didn't start untill 1997 plus kore was never in it untill BOTY 2001 korean crew called "visual shock" this year was "expression"

Scream!!! FOB Style

Old Post 11-12-2002 01:59 AM
Street RSX

o .. i guess not that competition.. cuz i remember anutha break dance comp that korea won that year..

Old Post 11-12-2002 02:03 AM
*~JoEy~*
. . .

Started back in 1990 but the "official" one was 1997

Battle Of The Year 2002
Best Show: Vagabond Crew (France)
Battles:
1. Expression (Korea)
2. Vagabond Crew (France)
3. Deep Trip (Switzerland)
4. Top 9 (Russia)

Battle Of The Year 2001
Best Show: Visual Shock (Korea)
Battles:
1. Wanted (France)
2. Team Ohh (Japan)
3. HaviKoro (USA)
4. Visual Shock (Korea)

Battle Of The Year 2000
Best Show: Waseda Breakers (Japan)
Battles:
1. Flying Steps (Germany)
2. Waseda Breakers (Japan)
3. Scrambling Feet (Switzerland)
4. South African Allstars (South Africa)

(no award for best individual anymore)

Battle Of The Year 1999
Best Show: Spartanic Rockers (Switzerland/Japan)
Best Individual: Vietnam (Rock Force, USA)
Battles:
1. Suicidal Lifestyle (Hungary)
2. Rock Force (USA)
3. Bag Of Trix (Canada)
4. The Family (France)

Battle Of The Year 1998
Best Show: Spartanic Japan
Best Individual: K-Mel (Phase 2, USA)
Battles:
1. Rock Force (USA)
2. The Family (France)
3. Phase 2 (USA)
4. Suicidal Lifestyle (Hungary)

Battle Of The Year 1997
Best Show: South Side Rockers (Germany)
Best Individual: Crumbs (Style Elements, USA)
Battles:
1. Style Elements (USA)
2. South Side Rockers (Germany)
3. Black Noise (South Africa)
4. Suicidal Lifestyle (Hungary)

Battle Of The Year 1996
Battles:
1. Toys In Effect (Switzerland)
2. Enemy Squad (Hungary)
3. Wedding B-Boys & Flying Steps (Germany)
4. Passo Sul Tempo (Italy)

Battle Of The Year 1995
Battles:
1. The Family (France/Italy)
2. Enemy Squad (Hungary)
3. Out Of Control (Denmark)
4. Flying Steps (Germany)

Battle Of The Year 1994
Battles:
1. Vlinke Vuesse (Germany)
2. Enemy Squad (Hungary)
3. Always Rockin Tuff (UK)
4. Crazy Force Crew (Switzerland)

Battle Of The Year 1993
Battles:
1. Always Rockin Tuff (UK)
2. Fresh Force (Germany)
3. Enemy Squad (Hungary)
3. TDB (Germany)

Battle Of The Year 1992
Battles:
1. Battle Squad (Germany)
2. Second 2 None (UK)
3. Enemy Squad (Hungary)
4. TDB (Germany)

Battle Of The Year 1991
(aka "The Battle")
Battles:
1. Battle Squad (Germany)
2. TDB (Germany)
3. Enemy Squad (Hungary)
4. Fresh Force (Germany)

Battle Of The Year 1990
(aka "International Breakdance Cup")
Shows:
1. TDB (Germany/UK)
2. Crazy Force Crew (Switzerland)
3. City Rockers (Germany)
(only shows, no battles yet)

Scream!!! FOB Style

Old Post 11-12-2002 02:05 AM
Street RSX

o i guess not then.. then wth is tha shit i heard about that koreans winning sum break dance contest thing?? hmmmmm.. and i kno iheard sumthin about that bak then.. well wuhtever.. nvm then

Old Post 11-12-2002 02:12 AM
*~JoEy~*
. . .

Maybe your think of the "Battle of the B-boy masters" or "Korean National B-boy Jam"
but i don't know the results for those. . . still haven't come in my mail. Korean b-boys. . . man they is crazy, they got their power moves down, but Korean B-boys is more acrobatic with maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad choreography gotta give em credit but stlye will always remain in the USA no doubt

Scream!!! FOB Style

Old Post 11-12-2002 02:17 AM