Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > 'Brink of War'
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
merc

'Brink of War'

"The United States gave up on winning U.N. support for war against Iraq on Monday and prepared to warn Saddam Hussein that he must leave the country or face a military strike. President Bush was to address the nation Monday night after the United States and its allies shelved a draft resolution that would have paved the way for U.N. authorization for military action, having failed to persuade key members to sign on." -msn.com

Tonight, march 17th, 2003, Bush will be addressing the nation on this matter. Considering these new advancements, it is safe to say we are at the brink of war. What are your opinions?

rest of the article at http://www.msnbc.com/news/842500.asp?cp1=1#BODY

"Truth is not determined by how many people believe it."

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-2003 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merc Click here to Send merc a Private Message Find more posts by merc Add merc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merc

Soldiers from the 3rd Battalion of the 3rd Brigade of the 101st Airborne Division get ready for war.

merc has attached this image:

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Old Post 03-17-2003 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merc Click here to Send merc a Private Message Find more posts by merc Add merc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

U.S. is going to war with Iraq no matter what. Whether or not Iraq does anything within the next few hours won't change anything, I believe. Bush has his heart set on war and no one can convince him out of it.

[ Proverbs 18:24 ]

Old Post 03-17-2003 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yOOnsk Click here to Send yOOnsk a Private Message Find more posts by yOOnsk Add yOOnsk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

quote:
Originally posted by yOOnsk
Bush has his heart set on war and no one can convince him out of it.

i dunno wat if God said "Bush u r just ruinin ur dads name so stop this crap and just die it will make u look smarter."

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 03-18-2003 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

i can't but help think most people on here blindly hate war so much that they can't ever realize the practicality of it nor see the rationale for it because they simply can't see the broader scope. Furthermore, it's real easy to take the moral high ground and say war is bad like a lot of people do, Bush isn't taking the action for no reason, it's not an easy one...he sees a need for it.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

He isn't as stupid as people make him out to be. We've had two wars over this, there is reason. And no, i'm not talking to you victor

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 03-18-2003 12:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
i can't but help think most people on here blindly hate war so much that they can't ever realize the practicality of it nor see the rationale for it because they simply can't see the broader scope. Furthermore, it's real easy to take the moral high ground and say war is bad like a lot of people do, Bush isn't taking the action for no reason, it's not an easy one...he sees a need for it.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

He isn't as stupid as people make him out to be. We've had two wars over this, there is reason. And no, i'm not talking to you victor

Anyone watch his speech? We're teetering over the edge of war - I doubt Saddam will leave in 2 days but who knows. Anyway I agree - too many people hate war without reason. Personally I'm in support of this war. (not war in general)

Old Post 03-18-2003 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
noriko378

Saddam is not going to leave...neither is Bush...both of them are too damn stubborn for their own good....

Old Post 03-18-2003 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for noriko378 Click here to Send noriko378 a Private Message Find more posts by noriko378 Add noriko378 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merc

quote:
Originally posted by requiem
Anyone watch his speech? We're teetering over the edge of war - I doubt Saddam will leave in 2 days but who knows. Anyway I agree - too many people hate war without reason. Personally I'm in support of this war. (not war in general)

I thought his speech was pretty convincing and lucid for once. Unlike his favorite "good vs. bad" speeches, this one seemed to reflect a very determined and concise layout, especially for something publically disclosed. I liked how he explicated misconceptions, such as the fact that this war was not one on the people of Iraq but on the "tyrant" that oppressed them. Furthermore the fact that he gave direct warnings to Iraqi troops to let U.S.-led coalition troops to enter peacefully and not defend "a dying regime" reflected the authenticity of his resolve and plan to invade if Saddam does not leave in 48 hours.

It seems to me war is definitely flickering in the [very near] future...very near....most likely sometime this week considering this 48 hour warning.

If Saddam refuses to this "ultimatum", which is most likely, and the U.S. does launch an all-out attack, it will be an interesting war.

If all this falls through, the question remains: Will this war be a swift and painless victory for the U.S? with the Iraqis fighting back with "daggers, swords and sticks"? or will Saddam unleash the alleged arsenal of chemical/biological/terror weapons on the U.S. ?

Old Post 03-18-2003 03:41 AM
aznkid1008
God is my judge

quote:
Originally posted by merc

If all this falls through, the question remains: Will this war be a swift and painless victory for the U.S? with the Iraqis fighting back with "daggers, swords and sticks"? or will Saddam unleash the alleged arsenal of chemical/biological/terror weapons on the U.S. ?

no doubt they will fight. if they use the biological stuff thats y we got the 21,000 pound bomb. lets see them infect that thing.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 03-18-2003 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

quote:

I also think that an extension/corollary to this question is: "how quickly will the United States get out?" Myself, I'm confident that Iraq will not be another Vietnam (once again), but how we going to handle post-war Iraq? The United States has a track record with a poor showing of maintaining the 'fruits' of a victory. We vowed that Afghanistan would be different, yet the central government hasn't been too sucessful in maintaining a semblance of order and law. How will Iraq be different?*

*Edit: Machiavelli's "The Prince," Chapter 5, provides an insight*

quote:

no doubt they will fight. if they use the biological stuff thats y we got the 21,000 pound bomb. lets see them infect that thing.

Somehow I don't think the point is to infect the BOMB... call me crazy. I would agree that the only thing in Iraq that could trip up the American war machine would be a sandstorm obscuring laser-guided munitions... but how could--if bio/chem weapons are used--EVERY weapon be stopped from delivering its payload? All it takes is one. (same situation provides a fatal flaw in the proposed missle-defense system, but that's another post)

Old Post 03-18-2003 05:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spuzzter Click here to Send Spuzzter a Private Message Find more posts by Spuzzter Add Spuzzter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

jeez i feel he dosn't care about this country if he did he would listen to millions of people agasinst the war like i said i feel that he wants power and try out new military weapons. I mean why is he cutting education funds? i mean Children need education to be successful when they become an adult -_-

Old Post 03-18-2003 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merc

time's up

Old Post 03-20-2003 01:54 AM