Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Cloning
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Cloning

Should we outlaw cloning? Certain types of cloning only? or what? How about growing human parts and using them for transplant?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2002 09:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i think stem cell research and the growing of organs for transplantation should be allowed.

But i am mostly against cloning because i don't see any real use for it. First, it would cost alot. Second, the only people who could afford it and would care about it would probably be moviestars and actors who probably are vain and self-serving.
Im not to familiar with this so if someone can provide more info on the benefits of cloniing it would be appreciated.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-05-2002 12:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

NO CLONING

It's just not right... I think that science is going way too far nowadays... Instead of using materials, money, and time on nuisance things like that, scientists should use that for learning and experimenting on cures and medicines for diseases/infections that cannot be cured yet today, such as cancer.

Old Post 05-05-2002 03:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero-Sen

Cloning a PERFECT copy is impossible at this time. So i believe that there is nothing really to worry about except killing human beings for their organs.

Cloning makes a copy of u but it has to start as a baby anyhows. It will probably grow up in a different enviroment so it will develop a different personality. I think that it should be allowed.

Old Post 05-05-2002 05:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zero-Sen Click here to Send Zero-Sen a Private Message Find more posts by Zero-Sen Add Zero-Sen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

Did you hear about that lamb that got cloned??? I forgot the name of the lamb... but anyways, the cloned lamb was only about 4-5 years old (I think) and the cloned lamb was already starting to have osteoporosis (weak-bones). The cloned lamb was 4-5. If we clone people, imagine all the things that could go wrong. I mean, cloning is never going to be perfect. Something will always go wrong.

Old Post 05-05-2002 06:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

isn't stem cell stuff like..... taking brain cells from pig embryo and then putting them in your body? and those embryo cells can change into anything?

okay well first..... sure wouldn't it be great if we could get rid of cancer and all those ugly diseases... but ya know.... the world has done fine without cures to those.... and it will do fine without cures.... do you realize how many ppl die from A TYPE of cancer per year? well i don't know the exact number, but believe me it's a lot. So okay let say all those ppl who would have died in 10 years DID end up living... hello? can we talk about over population?

and uhm.... about cloning....haha since that's what this topic is about... I think it's wrong to play God. I think it's wrong to create life in THAT way. So we clone a kitten.. and it dies horribly 5 years later because of problems that were cause because of the fact that it was cloned.... lets say that happens to a human.... if you grew to the age where you could actually think... how would you feel?

okay and for some reason...i trust science .... but i dont..... what's happening to our earth? it's becoming like crap because of science... further mankind my ass...

The people who are going to die should just die.... if i was dying.. just let me die... i'm not afraid.... i don't want to be attached to a machine until i die... i don't want to suffer more or longer than i'm going to.... i mean why do ppl want to clone anyway? to save people's live right? but by saving ppl's live.. you're just killing the entire human race.... we're going to run out of room soon....

sorry... i talk really messy(?) and confusing... my teacher says my writings are convoluted(?)...... haha

Old Post 05-05-2002 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow

okay well first..... sure wouldn't it be great if we could get rid of cancer and all those ugly diseases... but ya know.... the world has done fine without cures to those.... and it will do fine without cures.... do you realize how many ppl die from A TYPE of cancer per year? well i don't know the exact number, but believe me it's a lot. So okay let say all those ppl who would have died in 10 years DID end up living... hello? can we talk about over population?

over population? why are you so worried about that? Let the people who are already living live. Just don't create too much... It's that simple...

Old Post 05-05-2002 07:40 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

adopt a one child policy like china :huh:

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 05-05-2002 08:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow
isn't stem cell stuff like..... taking brain cells from pig embryo and then putting them in your body? and those embryo cells can change into anything?

I haven't read any of this yet, so if someone has said this already i apologize. I will read it though, rest assured.

Anywya, Stem cells are cells taken from a growing human embryo before the child is developed. I was watching Larry King Live with the actor who plays willy wonka and just recovered from cancer completely. Part of his story involved the doctors pumping in some foreign embodiment that made his body produce more white blood cells. They then harvested these white blood cells...ahh haha i'm getting confused. I think they said they harvested stemcells from his own body, but now i'm thinking it's T cells. Anyway...people can ignore that last part, if someone knows something about it. Feel free to correct me.

Old Post 05-05-2002 08:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LuvSunghoonie
KangSunghoonie

Smile

I think cloning humans is not right.. but if it was cloing a body part to save a human why not...

It morally wrong to clone, and i know alot people go with morality
but the advatange of cloning body parts, is the possibility of saving many lives..

However if we were to clone humans.. i would object to that.. cuz we dont need to clone more people.. maybe animals cuz then we could use it to experiment.. and find cures maybe

Old Post 05-06-2002 05:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LuvSunghoonie Click here to Send LuvSunghoonie a Private Message Visit LuvSunghoonie's homepage! Find more posts by LuvSunghoonie Add LuvSunghoonie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

actually, i think about overpopulation a lot as well susan. The thing is though, if we don't find cures to these diseases we are leaving ourselves open to the plethora of new diseases that will be around by the time overpopulation commences. That will be added on top of cancer and such and the we'll die at a more rapid rate. I don't know how morality would play out when overpopulation is here...hmmm.

Also, the problem with not "creating too much" is that humans naturally reproduce and we can't just control it that way because we will end up creating too much through natural means...cloning on top of that would be more people than were necessary.

Personally, i see no reason to clone a human besides the fact of "heh ho, we did it." Although if this would be help find cures to diseases then ok...but not as test subjects haha.

I'm thinking when overpopulation occurs, nature will begin to try and kill off humans rapidly. Yeah that didn't sound too smart hehe. Anyway, it goes to simple biology concept of "natures limiting factors." Of how nature will manifest a factor to limit something that grows in too much abundance. Usually it is disease, and it has been trying for a long time but technology has superceded that thus far. But in the future, i'm thinking it will be crazily more diseases that exist and with the people so close together they will spread more easily and die. Yeah, it's partial Gaia theory, but oh well .

Old Post 05-06-2002 07:52 AM
huby40
Squeak....

cloning for the good diseases=good

cloning whole humans=bad

cloning plants/animals=maybe

Cloning plants and animals for our food source is not a great way to get food.

Let's have a nice juicy food source thatl looks absolutley perfect. But say there is a small little defect in the clone. We see it as perfect, and the only flaw is it's weakness to some rare disease that's only found in Antartica (i'm just making this up, but pretend it's out of the way place.)

Well if we keep on replicating that over and over again, we'll have a major portion of that food that is susceptible to the disease. suppose somehow the disease showed up again in other countries where the food is. NOW you're screwed, cuz none of that food is immune to that disease so it is all gone.

We should keep mixing plants/animals because the more diversity among them we have, the better chances they will survive, the more we can eat.

Old Post 05-06-2002 12:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

i think the lamb's name was Dolly.

I don't think cloning is good. how do you think the clone would feel? like in metal gear. You'd feel like someone just played you. except with your life instead of a relationship.

Old Post 05-06-2002 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

quote:
Originally posted by RaCeR_LaDi_MoOn
Did you hear about that lamb that got cloned??? I forgot the name of the lamb... but anyways, the cloned lamb was only about 4-5 years old (I think) and the cloned lamb was already starting to have osteoporosis (weak-bones). The cloned lamb was 4-5. If we clone people, imagine all the things that could go wrong. I mean, cloning is never going to be perfect. Something will always go wrong.

i think its name was Dolly.

Props To Huby

Old Post 05-08-2002 07:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

this may sound stupid, but now i'm wondering if a lamb is actually a certain type of sheep? cause they always described it as Dolly the cloned sheep, not lamb.

Old Post 05-08-2002 01:11 PM
sangxjin

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
this may sound stupid, but now i'm wondering if a lamb is actually a certain type of sheep? cause they always described it as Dolly the cloned sheep, not lamb.

hahahaha....im so stupid..sorry

Props To Huby

Old Post 05-08-2002 04:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dreamcatcher

quote:
Originally posted by RaCeR_LaDi_MoOn
NO CLONING

It's just not right... I think that science is going way too far nowadays... Instead of using materials, money, and time on nuisance things like that, scientists should use that for learning and experimenting on cures and medicines for diseases/infections that cannot be cured yet today, such as cancer.

Yeah, i agree totally. Even the cloning of plants was wrong, how can they even think of going on to cloning humans? I've heard that they've now created the first eight cloned humans, and that they're going to be born sometime this year. They won't say where the experiment is being done, though.

Old Post 06-02-2002 12:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dreamcatcher Click here to Send Dreamcatcher a Private Message Find more posts by Dreamcatcher Add Dreamcatcher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote