Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Relationships > Love and Dating > "LOVE" is it improperly used?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
merdawg
: My Avatar is So CUTE :

"LOVE" is it improperly used?

my friend and i were talking about it, and this is how our convo went.....

Michelle: i hate the LOVE word. i mean like..couples always seem to say "I LOVE YOU! you're my destiny!"
Me: i know!!!!!
Me: no no
Me: i mean....i have nothing against the word
Me: but wen couples use it too much...ITS FUCKING UP THE MEANING

Me: i mean they say it, just to say it
Me: just to sound romantic
Michelle: i know!.
Me: they dont even know the meaning of the word
Michelle: god...itz like you're the perfect one for me, and i can't find anybody better. but then they break up and find another person and say the same thing.
Michelle: what losers.

wat do u guys think about this?

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Last edited by merdawg on 04-05-2003 at 04:04 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-05-2003 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

sure, the word has lost its meaning to an extent.

Then again, discourse trivializes everything...especially thought. Why pick and choose? is what i am wondering. I mean, hate is overused, anger is overused, holocaust is overused, terrorism is overused, rape is overused...why love? Discourse can't happen without trivializing it comparatively in regards to its counter part (thoughts). Thoughts will always be more meaningful than the word. It's impossible to escape.

Everything has lost its meaning. So of course love has.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 04-05-2003 08:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Valor
prelapsarian dweller

It all depends on how YOU define love. Who decides what "love" actually is? I mean, everyone has their own definition of what it is right? For some people, it could mean the puppy-like, amorous love seen in Casablanca or something like that. Contrarily, to others, it may be the deep sensation that they feel just by looking into the eyes of their significant other. It's all in perspective. I totally hear you guys on how overstressed and overkilled the term is nowadays, but you can't blame the other person can you? If they do say "I love you" to some other person, regardless of how long they've known them, who they are, etc.; let them. There isn't anything wrong in being consumed with the euphoria happiness, is there?

you'll turn and walk away, never
knowing that you are my life.

Old Post 04-05-2003 09:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Valor Click here to Send Valor a Private Message Visit Valor's homepage! Find more posts by Valor Add Valor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
azn0monk
mystupidSNfromwayback

always

Old Post 04-05-2003 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for azn0monk Click here to Send azn0monk a Private Message Find more posts by azn0monk Add azn0monk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WhiteLee
"Oh we totally have to."

It is used an awful lot and half the time it doesn't mean what it's supposed to.
If a person's really feelin' it and really does/truly care for the other then, yeah, saying "I love you" is in the right context. But most of the time young couples just say it as a way to express the "like" the have for the other person and to also make the relationship feel adult and to somehow make it a closer/more exclusive.
I had a guy once say he loved right after he confessed that he liked me. And he kept saying it to and after awhile...it just sounded cheap and lost it's meaning.
I don't know...if you're really feelin' it, say it. but if you're using it just to make a relationship closer or to create a love where there isn't (just a "like") then hold off.

Interesting topic to bring up btw.

"Before and After" Ayumi Hamasaki

Old Post 04-05-2003 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLee Click here to Send WhiteLee a Private Message Visit WhiteLee's homepage! Find more posts by WhiteLee Add WhiteLee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Juny

you know what valor you suck ... ok ben go and mopderate me! sex me now! iightz.. my car still owns u hahahhaha! ok .. peace dawG.. im ouTz

Old Post 04-05-2003 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Juny Click here to Send Juny a Private Message Find more posts by Juny Add Juny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

I think that it is improperly used and too properly used... know what I mean? I mean, some people think about it too much and some people don't... I know, how about we just forget the word...

Old Post 04-06-2003 05:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay
I think that it is improperly used and too properly used... know what I mean? I mean, some people think about it too much and some people don't... I know, how about we just forget the word...

sure....forget about Love...lets all hate...right?

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Old Post 04-06-2003 08:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kangg fu

yeah mer it gets me mad too...especially among high school kids...it's taken so lightly...i mean they say these things not just to share false emotions, but to gain some sort of dominanace also..i can name more than 10 people that i know that have said they love their boyfriend and girlfriend....ahaha and most of them have broken up!!! get out of here you hypocrites...im not saying that 2 high school kids cant fall reach that level of love....BUT..i bet you only aobut 1 handful of teenagers in the wholllllee world have the right to say they love each other

Old Post 04-07-2003 05:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kangg fu Click here to Send kangg fu a Private Message Find more posts by kangg fu Add kangg fu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by kangg fu
BUT..i bet you only aobut 1 handful of teenagers in the wholllllee world have the right to say they love each other

everyone has the right to do everything. Rights are nonexistent, stop oppressing.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 04-07-2003 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
everyone has the right to do everything. Rights are nonexistent, stop oppressing.

Yay!!!

Old Post 04-08-2003 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by merdawg
sure....forget about Love...lets all hate...right?

no no no, I didn't mean it like that... I meant the word

Old Post 04-08-2003 05:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay
no no no, I didn't mean it like that... I meant the word

i was just playing, sorry if u took it that way

Old Post 04-08-2003 10:10 PM
eddiee
werD?

1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
a. Sexual passion.
b. Sexual intercourse.
c. A love affair.
4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
6. An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.
a. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
b. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.
8. Love Mythology. Eros or Cupid.
9. Often Love Christianity. Charity.
10. Sports. A zero score in tennis.

Old Post 04-08-2003 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for eddiee Click here to Send eddiee a Private Message Find more posts by eddiee Add eddiee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kangg fu

it's

sad

Old Post 04-09-2003 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kangg fu Click here to Send kangg fu a Private Message Find more posts by kangg fu Add kangg fu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

God is love.

There, i used it correctly.

Old Post 04-24-2003 06:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
screwyou

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow
God is love.

There, i used it correctly.

What would the atheistic people think of this comment?

Old Post 04-24-2003 09:31 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg

quote:
Originally posted by screwyou

i dont know. wat do u think they would think?

Old Post 04-24-2003 10:05 PM
.aS.|5p!7f!|23
foo oo o o o oo o oo o o

quote:
i just think some people carry their beliefs into every part of their life. im not really offended just minorly annoyed.

i didnt read everyones response but i think mers just braggin cause he gots a gf lol.

Old Post 04-24-2003 10:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Click here to Send .aS.|5p!7f!|23 a Private Message Find more posts by .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Add .aS.|5p!7f!|23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

quote:

They would think whatever they want. According to them i probably used the word love incorrectly, but according to me it's the only way you could or should use it.

I'm sorry i "minorly annoy" people but i really don't give a rat's ass. I know a lot of people MAJORLY annoy me.

Old Post 04-24-2003 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote