Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Food > Azn Table Manners
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
annabanana
Food Moderator

Post Korean Table Manners

Table Manners
* Lifting a spoon or chopsticks before the elders do is not considered mannered.
Finishing meal before the elders do is not considered mannered, either.
* When pouring wine or any kind of beverage to the elders, use both hands to hold the wine bottle.
When your cup is poured by the elders, use both hands to hold the cup.
If you are drinking in front of elders, turn your torso a bit (20 degree) to the side and drink .

Before the meal, always tell your hostess, " Jal Muk Get Sup Ni Da."
-I will have a good meal- (Thank you for the meal.)
After the meal, "Jal Muk Ut Sup Ni Da."
-I had a good meal - (That was very good.)
Don't get confused with one from the other!!

Facts about Korean Meal
* In old times, having meals was the most important thing for a Korean.
In Korea, people still asks each other "Have you had lunch (or dinner)?" instead of "How are you?"
* Most of the Koreans love to eat hot and spicy food.
But, Korea started importing chilly peppers from 18 Century.
Imagine! Koreans eating white Kimchi (Baek Kimchi) everyday, instead of red Kimchi.
* Chinese and Japanese use only chopsticks when eating rice.
Somehow, Koreans use spoons.
When eating rice, lifting a rice bowl close to one's mouth is not considered mannered in Korea, while it is OK in China and in Japan.

credits to http://www.geocities.com/ypmljulia/table_manners.htm

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2002 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for annabanana Click here to Send annabanana a Private Message Find more posts by annabanana Add annabanana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

haha thats funnie... i didn't know half that stuff till i read it now... funnie how americanized koreans become... only thing i knew outa that list was the drinking ettiquet

Old Post 08-08-2002 04:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

hm.. i do the *jarl muk get seub ni da// jarl muk uh seub nida* thing

but my parents, grandma dont mind if i eat first or finish first.

but my mom gtes really pist when i burp after i eat.
but i HAVE to burp in order for my food to digest and go down.
or else i'll have a full stomach, but when i burp it feels like i ate nothing at all..

Old Post 08-08-2002 05:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jini
nan.. yunjiniee da ~

i must be really rude cuz i don't do any of that stuff. i kno i'm SUPPOSED to but... o well. whatevers. i don't even use jon dae mal to my mom.

ha. i do wait until other people start eatin tho.

wherever you go, whatever you do
i will be right here waiting for you
whatever it takes or how my heart breaks

Old Post 08-08-2002 05:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jini Click here to Send jini a Private Message Visit jini's homepage! Find more posts by jini Add jini to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

i dont use jon dae marl to my parents or my grandma either.
i use ban marl.
talk to them as if theyre my friend
theyre okay with it
cept when theyre pist(mad) i gotta use the formal respectful talk

Old Post 08-08-2002 05:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jini
nan.. yunjiniee da ~

man... it's juss WEIRD if i use jon dae mal to my mom..
i juss talk to her like my friend~
n i don't even talk to my dad.. so whatevers.

same with my grandma.. i juss have to use "nae.." a couple times. the only time i use jon dae mal is when i talk to other adults.. like adults who scare me.

wherever you go, whatever you do
whatever it takes or how my heart breaks

Old Post 08-08-2002 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jini Click here to Send jini a Private Message Visit jini's homepage! Find more posts by jini Add jini to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

hahaha my korean is so bad... so its like a mix of jon dae marl and formal... hahah but usually i can still bs my way through a conversation HAHA... even though i know wat they say... i can't form sentences very well :sad:

Old Post 08-09-2002 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HHxEliTE
S2

wow.. thas so strict.. i dun do that... jahl muh guh sihp nih dah.... or shiet... ionna.. i feel weird...... guess i have bad manners

Old Post 08-09-2002 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HHxEliTE Click here to Send HHxEliTE a Private Message Find more posts by HHxEliTE Add HHxEliTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i go by chinese mannerisms

spoon for rice? wut the... :huh: understandable if you have the rice on a plate or somethin but in a bowl? hmm..

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 08-13-2002 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiGhTy KiTTy
*MeOW* ^^

i dont eat at the table. haha and if i do i have my own ways of eating at the table

Last edited by MiGhTy KiTTy on 08-16-2002 at 09:59 PM

Old Post 08-14-2002 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MiGhTy KiTTy Click here to Send MiGhTy KiTTy a Private Message Find more posts by MiGhTy KiTTy Add MiGhTy KiTTy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

Re: Korean Table Manners

quote:
Originally posted by annabanana
Table Manners
* Lifting a spoon or chopsticks before the elders do is not considered mannered.
Finishing meal before the elders do is not considered mannered, either.
* When pouring wine or any kind of beverage to the elders, use both hands to hold the wine bottle.
When your cup is poured by the elders, use both hands to hold the cup.
If you are drinking in front of elders, turn your torso a bit (20 degree) to the side and drink .

Before the meal, always tell your hostess, " Jal Muk Get Sup Ni Da."
-I will have a good meal- (Thank you for the meal.)
After the meal, "Jal Muk Ut Sup Ni Da."
-I had a good meal - (That was very good.)
Don't get confused with one from the other!!

yea i do all that... my uncle would hit my hands (like with a back scratcher on the back of my hand) if i didn't... and also when you are making food and ask an elder to come to the table you have to say "jin jih deu seh yo" ... like a special way to say "come eat" lol..

MANG.... i got so much "training" from my uncle... like i have to bow... LOW ... when you say "hi" to adults...and i ALWAYS... ALWAYS ALWAYS talk in jon den mahl to adults... NEVER EVER EVER do i speak ban dehn mahl..... that's another wack.. -_-.... a lot of krn parents here are like so amazed that i talk jon dehn mal to them..........

i don't think he made me do the drinking one.. but i see ppl doing it... only when they drinking soju or sumthing....

Old Post 08-15-2002 03:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
spoon for rice? wut the... :huh: understandable if you have the rice on a plate or somethin but in a bowl? hmm.. [/B]

haha... i use a spoon.

Old Post 08-21-2002 05:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
az0nd2r3

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
i go by chinese mannerisms

spoon for rice? wut the... :huh: understandable if you have the rice on a plate or somethin but in a bowl? hmm..

heck, chinese manners......i juss eat my food at home by the comp....spoon for rice....wutever u want, works fine too......i personally prefer a fork for rice, since we dont use rice bowls, juss plates....fork can be multipurpose

Old Post 08-22-2002 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for az0nd2r3 Click here to Send az0nd2r3 a Private Message Find more posts by az0nd2r3 Add az0nd2r3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote