Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > The Unification of Korea
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KoReAzNPiMp
Lurker

The Unification of Korea

Recently I have just finished writing an extended essay on this. The topic was "Korean Unification: A study of its political, social, and economic rationale." Anyways, basically I had to propose a probable solution, and discuss the consequences. I arrived at the conclusion that all foreign intervention must leave Korea. As you may or may not know, from the BC times, Korea has always been dominated by other countries, such as Russia, China, and Japan. These foreign influences partly caused the splitting of the two countries.
From research, I personally and realistically believe that if Korea was to unifiy, we would be one of the strongest countries in the world. already, north korea is capable of nuclear warfare, and with the resources and revenue from the South, the capabilities of the country would be staggering. Plus, geographically, N. Korea has certain features that S. doesn't, such as rivers (all rivers in korea flow from North to South.
I'm welcolming both agreeing comments and especially argumentative points of view.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-04-2002 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KoReAzNPiMp Click here to Send KoReAzNPiMp a Private Message Find more posts by KoReAzNPiMp Add KoReAzNPiMp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

haha, I don't know why but this reminds me of kpac-nc. Anyways, to get to the point, I believe there are old threads on this, anyone care to merge them??

Old Post 11-04-2002 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
haha, I don't know why but this reminds me of kpac-nc. Anyways, to get to the point, I believe there are old threads on this, anyone care to merge them??
puahahaha... sorrie whenever i see kpac's name now i start to crack up... to think the nerve of the guy... newaiz... yah we already have a thread like this plz merge

Old Post 11-04-2002 05:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Re: The Unification of Korea

quote:
Originally posted by KoReAzNPiMp
Recently I have just finished writing an extended essay on this.

For IB diploma? haha, cool I gotta start mine soon.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 11-04-2002 05:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
haha, I don't know why but this reminds me of kpac-nc.

true... in apartmemt102 he was talking about korean pride and buying cars... like you can only have pride if you buy cars from korea

Last edited by Ladi Jay on 11-05-2002 at 12:04 AM

Old Post 11-04-2002 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

that guy is an intellectual basement. Avoid those forums, it's poison for your minds.

Old Post 11-04-2002 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KoReAzNPiMp
Lurker

Re: Re: The Unification of Korea

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman

For IB diploma? haha, cool I gotta start mine soon.

Yeah, for the stupid IB diploma. So I guess ur in it too. How you like it? Personally, I hate it. Too late to drop out of it now.

Old Post 11-05-2002 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KoReAzNPiMp Click here to Send KoReAzNPiMp a Private Message Find more posts by KoReAzNPiMp Add KoReAzNPiMp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

the question is IF. And even if they were to unite, theres a whole lot of shit in PRK (starvation, poverty, etc) that the RK has to spend alot of its resources dealing with.

Nuclear power does not neccesarily equate to world-wide power. Israel possesses nuclear weapons, that isn't stopping the Palestinians from engaging in terrorist warfare. Power is measured in the economy, and while South Korea does have a fairly good one, it (again) will need to dedicate a lot of its resources in building up North Korea and its failing economy.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Last edited by Crazydeb8ter on 11-05-2002 at 04:28 AM

Old Post 11-05-2002 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Re: Re: Re: The Unification of Korea

quote:

Yeah, for the stupid IB diploma. So I guess ur in it too. How you like it? Personally, I hate it. Too late to drop out of it now.

yeah i hate it too. You all ready done though? nice, your on schedule. It's going to be hell in february and march though man....every single class has something due then. I'm doing my extended essay on physics, i have no idea what though in it.....hmmmm...we'll see.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 11-05-2002 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nojeel

its never gonna happen..unfication my ass..

Old Post 11-06-2002 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nojeel Click here to Send Nojeel a Private Message Find more posts by Nojeel Add Nojeel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Unification of Korea

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman

yeah i hate it too. You all ready done though? nice, your on schedule. It's going to be hell in february and march though man....every single class has something due then. I'm doing my extended essay on physics, i have no idea what though in it.....hmmmm...we'll see.

Do it on Omega and Dark matter!

Old Post 11-23-2002 04:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
paboh4life
al myun suh ;)

unification would be a beautiful thing.. but there are different views and situations from both sides that will make this attempt of unifying both countries more difficult.

Old Post 11-29-2002 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for paboh4life Click here to Send paboh4life a Private Message Find more posts by paboh4life Add paboh4life to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by paboh4life
unification would be a beautiful thing.. but there are different views and situations from both sides that will make this attempt of unifying both countries more difficult.

Model the new country after Canada.

Old Post 11-30-2002 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hyun

korean unification

ey!

im from CAli, Arcadia, but currently in New mExcio for schoolin. Hey you writing about korean unification huh? Well, me too.
ANd you know what, you're right, foreign policy or influence shouldn't interfere with korean affairs. They juss don't get it you know what i mean?

Well anyways, im trying to write an argument, giving both pro and con to the paper. And in the end, writing my opinion about it. Well, i think korea should unify, but taking short steps, it aint gonna happen over night. Korea should co-exist and then starting working with unification you know? Cuz who would give up power? (kim jong il wouldn't) nor South Korean president.

But anywho, i found it really hard to find sources about pro on unification of korea. I was hoping if you can gimme some websites, or book titles where i can find good evidence of unifiying korea.
my email is richter0909@yahoo.com

please reply if you can, if not, it's cool, it feels good to hear another korean concerned about unification. Cuz some koreans are juss like "i don't care" and i take that offensive. Cuz we are all same blood.

Old Post 11-03-2003 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hyun Click here to Send hyun a Private Message Find more posts by hyun Add hyun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Re: korean unification

let's take a look at the cons shall we?

Forget foreign influences--even at the base level, the domestic policy of each of the respective nation bars the two countries from ever uniting. You said it yourself: "Who would give up power." The answer is neither, and it is safe to assume that neither will be the same answer for a long time to come.
Now, assuming that reunification were to happen, there would be a number of overwhelming consequences that would envelop South Korea. South Korea, being the more developed of the two, would experience a flood a refugees from the North. This will result in an overcrowding of SKorean cities, with unemployment and homelessness skyrocketing. Now, there have been some effects historically attributed to these two developments--the most significant of which is crime. Should the koreas unite, Skorea will face a alarming growth in crime. Violence, prostitution, kidnapping etc. will become prevelant.
Focusing on the national level, we see that the united korea will have a severe problem with infrastructure. At the moment, NKorea has really no political system to properly govern the nation. Should the countries unite, SKorea will have to spearhead an entire operation to rebuild the north politically. This will take a very very long time. However, the recontruction is not limited to mere politics. There is always the economy to think about. South Korea will have to try to "jumpstart" the Nkorean economy, which at this point, has gone to shit. Doing this is a long process involving a lot of investment and money. The money used will have no short-term return, thus endangering the South Korean economy as well, resulting in a number of economic problems in the South.
All these will inevitably lead to a break down in the Skorean population's faith in reunificatoin. Riots will increase, a growth in violence will ensue, and then the new government will have another problem on their hands.

Should the united Korea find a way through this chaos, all blessings to their new country. But at this point, it's not going to be a process involving small steps--it's a goal that needs a miracle. Or several of them.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 11-03-2003 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
castle outsider

Re: Re: Re: The Unification of Korea

quote:

bwahahah i dropped ib diploma..on the day the payments were due too..damn i think the advisors gonna kill me

Old Post 11-03-2003 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote